X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Early Henson Muppets Wilkens Coffee commercials

This may be old news to many of you, but I just learned about these through two separate sources: MeTV's Collector's Call TV series, and YouTube series' Defunctland's series on Jim Henson. I found a compilation on YouTube and laughed so hard, I cried. Murderous, sadistic muppets, maiming and killing over coffee preferences. I love it!

The first part of the Defunctland series:

Start your Squarespace free trial today at http://www.squarespace.com/defunctland and use code DEFUNCTLAND to get 10% off your first purchase.In the first ep...

Chris
    sigpic
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Those are awesome!

Comment

• Makernaut
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2015

I got really interested in Muppet History (in general) a few years back when Jimmy Fallon and NBC highlighted the pipes that the Muppet Team painted in NBC Studios back in 1964. https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/NBC_Pipes It never dawned on me that the Muppets existed before Sesame Street, I guess, so that led me to digging around and that's how I learned a little bit about the Wilkins Coffee ads. https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Wilkins_Coffee

When I got into watching "Mad Men" about every day, there was an episode where Draper makes an offhanded remark to the Martinson Coffee people about using puppets in an attempt to reach younger people. I figured that was a reference to the Muppets and Wilkins Coffee, but it was more specific:

In 1958 a young Jim Henson created a series of short, weirdly violent commercials for the Washington D.C. coffeemakers Wilkins Coffee, concepts which he revamped and sold to local coffee merchants in other markets, including Martinson in New York.
      https://tv.avclub.com/mad-men-the-go...lin-1798204907

All in all, a really cool part of Television History that makes me sad for how bland things are today and how the regional peculiarities of that time have given way to one big "blah" from coast to coast.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

^Cool, I didn't know about the Mad Men thing at all. There are later, color versions of these same skits promoting a different coffee on YouTube as well.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 22, 2015

It cracks me up how violent those are and how the "hero" (Wilkins) is actually a sociopath. Poor little Wontkins' only crime is that he doesn't care for the coffee. Things you only notice as an adult.

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

When you watch these and then watch the skits they redid of these on The Muppet Show,the skits on The Muppet Show make more sense afterwards.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Those are actually kind of disturbing.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^I always enjoyed the "edgier" side of the Muppets, as long as they don't skid too far into it. So these appeal to me. I'm kind of twisted in that way, I guess.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Here's a few later interpretations of the skits, for Red Diamond Coffee this time, and in color!

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎