X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures 18: Parachuting Planet of the Apes

This week, we talk about one of my favorite subjects, cheap rack toys but even better, they're planet of the apes rack toys.

We get into the history of licensed parachute toys, which are some of the most fun but also bizarre toys we could buy for under a buck. So we talk about RipCord, Star Trek, Batman, Space:1999, Sgt. Rock and the Mighty Crusaders as well. It's the most fun you ever had before you lost it in a tree.

Please subscribe to our channel on YouTube, so you can get a weekly Toy-Venture: https://www.youtube.com/user/palitoy/featuredFor more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

All 18 episodes are on youtube and avaiable here:

Toy-Ventures is a weekly video series from the PlaidStallions.com website. Each week we explore a weird and oft times forgotten toy line from the 1970s and 1...
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Confessional
      Maker & Whatnot
      • Aug 8, 2012

I think they sold gazillions of them and transitioned from the early/existing reaching arm design to the guns to keep the Ape coin flowing!

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

As much as I loved the Funstuf Spidey Web Shooter, you couldn't beat the the fun-for-the-price value of parachute toys. AND the Web Shooters used to break pretty easily. The parachutes' gloriously simple design was incredibly reliable.

I only had the AHI Batman, but I had a bunch other parachute toys, including some pooper troopers. I have a lot of fond memories of throwing them out of George Rafferty's third-story window, watching where they landed and then tearing down the stairs to fetch 'em.
        Last edited by Wee67; Apr 22, '19, 6:06 PM.
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Great episode! I have that early Batman parachutist! I had no idea that company pioneered this particular toy.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• newlyknighted
            Persistent Member
            • Feb 21, 2010

Fun video and customs Brian! If these were made today, I wonder if we would see dinosaurs, Simpsons, modern horror, and animated Toy Story or SpongeBob Squarepants characters?
            I post in thy general direction!

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎