X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

You Really Cannot Beat The Classics

I love the modern updates that FTC has done with the whole Mego style Batman '66, the modern Batman Comic characters, the new DC Characters.

But, there is something about the original, oven mitt figures that started it all.

This is the FTC batman costume, on a Type S body with a original Mego head (because the FTC Batman head is a peanut head), along with a FTC First Appearance Robin, for good measure:

FTC Batman & Robin.jpg

Once I added the original Batman head, which is the version I had (No RC Batman for me as a kid), it took me back to the early-to-mid 70s, where I destroyed my Megos from all the play they received. I loved my Mego Robin too, but this would have been the perfect Robin for a kid who read a lot of older reprinted Batman stories, when Robin was still a kid too (too bad FTC cheaped out on a new, teen head sculpt).

But to stay positive here, I love the various post-Mego molded gloves, the different boots, and more sophisticated costumes, but none of them take me back like the originals, even if it's mostly repro-ed!

I appreciate FTC for making the Repo DC figures first, before going with modern takes and new characters.
    Last edited by TRDouble; Apr 22, '19, 11:24 PM.
  • scott metzger
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 9, 2007

I know the feeling; I've Mego-ized a lot of the newer DC figures to make them look more like what Mego might have done. Some might consider it a downgrade, but the aesthetic just brings back the days of the classic Megos the way you saw them on the pegs/shelves.

Comment

• Random Axe
      The Voice of Reason
      • Apr 16, 2008

For me, an accurate representation of the character is normally sufficient. If that means it has molded gloves or isn't quite as Mego-like that's fine. Obviously, production flaws and poorly designed figures have been released that are inexcusable but for the majority I'm happy with what has been presented. Considering the prolific catalog of characters they've used so far, I think they have served this community well and are to be applauded.
      I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎