Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Somewhat on topic, there is a really well done series of Youtube Documentaries about the early days of Nickelodeon programming. I was drawn to it because a great deal of these shows are Canadian imports and the host has really done his homework, so if you remember "You Can't Do that oN Television", "Today's Special" or "Adventures in Rainbow Country", you were watching Canadian TV as a kid.

A show-by-show retrospective covering the entire history of Nickelodeon, from its humble beginnings in 1979 to now. Currently up to 1991!
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Makernaut
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2015

Very cool to read about your involvement with "Corner Gas", Brian.

I saw mention of "Trailer Park Boys" and "Letterkenny". I was and remain a huge fan of TPB's first 7 seasons, but it's gone on a little too long with increasingly diminished results since they brought it back, in my opinion, so I don't really bother keeping up with it.

"Letterkenny" is a fairly recent watch for me and I took to it immediately. I've only caught the first 3 seasons, though. I believe Hulu has all seasons available now so I need to get caught up.

Common thread through all three of those shows....quirky characters in their own universe plus ridiculous situations that could only happen there and to them leads to funny stuff being said. UK TV is pretty darn good at that kind of thing but Canadians do that better than anyone.

Comment

• Brazoo
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
        "Made in Canada" was a real fave of mine in the 1990s, it was a pretty funny parody of film and television production in Canada, they mainly made a Hercules/Road To Avonlea type knock off shows that really weren't too far from the truth. Rick Mercer was the star.
        I don't know it and should check that out!

I typically really dislike parody stuff "aboot" Canadians, and not because I don't think we can be made fun of but because it's usually done SOO badly. Like, there's this grab bag of ideas from Bob and Doug McKenzie that everyone just swipes from and they're not even current ideas.

The one I liked best was the ongoing sketch on Kroll Show called "Wheels, Ontario". It does the easy/broader "aboot" gags too, but it's also got a ton of great specific details.

Comment

• Brazoo
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 14, 2009

Somewhat on topic, there is a really well done series of Youtube Documentaries about the early days of Nickelodeon programming. I was drawn to it because a great deal of these shows are Canadian imports and the host has really done his homework, so if you remember "You Can't Do that oN Television", "Today's Special" or "Adventures in Rainbow Country", you were watching Canadian TV as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...kIywbmLq_3qXRw
          I'm going to check that out for sure! I LOVED You Can't Do that on Television. I was well aware of Nickelodeon in its early days and have always been kind of fascinated by how the You Can't Do That's green slime has morphed into such an icon over the years.

Comment

• palitoy
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Brazoo
            I don't know it and should check that out!

I typically really dislike parody stuff "aboot" Canadians, and not because I don't think we can be made fun of but because it's usually done SOO badly.
            Oh my gosh yes, it should be illegal to use the word "hoser". looking directly at Kevin Smith.

Made in Canada pretty much takes a really cynical look at Canadian TV, all of their shows suck. The big brass of the company was "Chuck the Security Guard" in the early 80s, kind of funny.

PS I've seen some Degrassi, my wife adores Degrassi, I don't get it and never will.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

Take off, eh.

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...kIywbmLq_3qXRw
                I remember "You Can't Do That On Television" being a Canadian production, but I didn't know about the other shows.

I also had no idea that Nickelodeon dated back to 1979 ('77 if count Pinwheel on Qube). That documentary's first episode is very cool.
                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Wee67
                  I remember "You Can't Do That On Television" being a Canadian production, but I didn't know about the other shows.
                  This guy does his homework, I totally remember YCDTOT when it was called "Whatever Turns You On" in primetime during the late 70s and he even has clips.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I watched Degrassi (first series) on PBS and some episodes really spoke to me, I liked it.

Huge fan of Kids in the Hall.

I recall the early Nick well, particularly "You Can't do That on Television". Thirteen-year-old me had a big crush on one of the cast members lol.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                      SynthoRes Transmigrator
                      • Oct 24, 2007

We love Kim's Convenience. Glad it's on Netflix. What we find interesting are the commercials on CBC. Every time we go to Canada which is once a year we have fun with watching TV shows and commercials. Good laugh.

Comment

• Brazoo
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        I watched Degrassi (first series) on PBS and some episodes really spoke to me, I liked it.

Huge fan of Kids in the Hall.

I recall the early Nick well, particularly "You Can't do That on Television". Thirteen-year-old me had a big crush on one of the cast members lol.
                        Haha - me too! Moose is my earliest TV crush I can remember.

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Brazoo
                          Haha - me too! Moose is my earliest TV crush I can remember.
                          Same here but I'm sure she gets that a lot.

Speaking of Canadian TV, my friend's sister is marrying one of the cast members from "Circle Square". He's a really nice guy, he told me they never get paid for almost a decade of shows.

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            I enjoyed Slings and Arrows a lot.
                            Slings and Arrows is brilliant. Co-created by Mark McKinney, formerly of Kids in the Hall IIRC. An amazing cast, and Paul Gross is at his best and funniest here. A great send up of the real-life Stratford Festival (and the Canadian Theatre scene).

For context, the Shakespeare based Stratford Festival was early stomping grounds for William Shatner, Lorne Greene, and Christopher Plummer (go back and look at the scene in Star Trek 6 in that context).
                            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• samurainoir
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Dec 26, 2006

Made in Canada pretty much takes a really cynical look at Canadian TV, all of their shows suck. The big brass of the company was "Chuck the Security Guard" in the early 80s, kind of funny.

PS I've seen some Degrassi, my wife adores Degrassi, I don't get it and never will.
                              I think it's an age thing... my wife is a few years younger and was big into Degrassi. I just attended my film school reunion (where the alumni from all years gather every half decade), she's thrilled that we always end up chatting with the Degrassi head writer. There is a big Degrassi Convention coming up in Toronto where fans get to have lunch with dozens of cast-memebers and creators/crew.

Having known people who were working for/with Sullivan Entertainment and Alliance/Atlantis back in the day, Made In Canada really nailed it.
                              Last edited by samurainoir; Apr 25, '19, 1:06 PM.
                              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• cjefferys
                                Duke of Gloat
                                • Apr 23, 2006

I just downloaded the CBC Gem app on my Amazon Fire Stick, I'm going to start streaming some recent CBC shows that I've overlooked until now. Any recommendations?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎