Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Ok, their Lucha Libre can be sort of fun, I guess, lol...
    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I don't know, the last time I was in LA my TV never left the Mexican channels, I don't speak a lick of Spanish either. I'm also not sure what I was watching , gorgeous women and men dressed like toddlers doing "Little Stinker" characters. hypnotic.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

I hate Mexican programming, hate it with a passion.

When I lived there from ages 7-14...I watched the channels with American/English/Japanese programming. That’s where I started watching the Six Million Dollar Man, The Avengers, Lost in Space, Hanna Barbera toons, Looney Tunes, Japanese fair like Astro Boy, Kimba, Ultraman, Space Giants...and well, you get the picture.

The only thing I sort of did get into was soccer...so I rooted for the home team, Chivas Rayadas del Guadalajara, lol.

P.S. Ok, a string of Mexican shows were fun to watch as a kid, Chespirito/El Chavo del Ocho/Chapulin Colorado...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

This is how Mexicans present the weather on TV...

Televisa’s Yanet Garcia:

Some naughty language from the Aussie YouTuber who spliced the video...

Funniest part, the Aussie cuts back to Australian weather of an older dude...

Last edited by Hector; Apr 22, '19, 8:49 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

^ Fun weather!

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Brazoo
              For newer shows I really like Orphan Black and Baroness von Sketch Show (all female sketch comedy show).

I think Schitt's Creek is okay, but I think O'Hara, Levy and Chris Elliott are three of the funniest people ever, so it's probably impossible to do a show that lives up to my expectations of what they could achieve.
              I've been meaning to check out the first two shows you mention, they are on my (very long) watch list.

And yeah, I mostly watch Schitt's Creek because of the cast. I'd watch Chris Elliott reading his shopping list, I've been a big fan since watching him on Letterman when I was in high school.

Originally posted by palitoy
              Weirdly my parents love it and boy did they moan when I turned on SCTV or Get a Life.
              Heh, my parents love the show too, they tolerated SCTV but thought that Get a Life (which I love) was the stupidest show ever.

It's filmed like 20 minutes north of my house, I've always wanted to go up there and see if I can get an autograph or two.

W00t, road trip!

Originally posted by Hector
              This is how Mexicans present the weather on TV...

Televisa’a Yanet Garcia:
              I completely approve of this method of presenting the weather on TV.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• RonnyG
                  Career Member
                  • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by cjefferys
                  As a Canadian, I'm ashamed to admit that my knowledge of Canadian TV shows is very sparse. I blame that on spending most of my life living 10 minutes away from Buffalo, NY, so the US TV stations came in much better than the Canadian channels, so American TV is was! Other than silly kids shows (e.g. The Friendly Giant, Mr. Dressup, etc. ) the only Canadian shows I really watched was stuff like SCTV and Bizarre. As far as new Canadian shows go, I really enjoy Schitt's Creek, that's about it. I'm a shame to my country.
                  I'm the opposite. I grew up in Michigan near the Canadian border in the 1970s. I remember getting some Canadian channels and watching The Friendly Giant, and Mr. Dressup. I also remember being able to watch a lot of first run ABC shows twice a night--once on the Canadian channel, and then again a few hours later on the US channel. It doesn't seem like a big deal now, but this was before VCRs were a household item, so it was cool to be able to watch the Bionic Woman or Charlie's Angels twice in one night, and not have to wait for the summer repeats.

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Oh yeah, it was great living in a border town and often getting a second chance to watch a TV show between the US and Canadian channels (plus just having a larger selection of stuff to watch in general). You're right, doesn't seem like a big thing now, but in the pre-VCR, cable, satellite days that was pretty cool.

Comment

• Makernaut
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 22, 2015

I don't know how Canadians regard the show, but I get a kick out of "Corner Gas". I always like shows where it seems like it's set in its own Universe and peopled with quirky characters.

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Makernaut
                        I don't know how Canadians regard the show, but I get a kick out of "Corner Gas". I always like shows where it seems like it's set in its own Universe and peopled with quirky characters.
                        I actually supplied a lot of the set decoration for that show, I am grateful to it. It's quirky and gentle, they've brought it back as an animated show.

Comment

• cjefferys
                          Duke of Gloat
                          • Apr 23, 2006

Again, embarrassed to admit that I've never watched Corner Gas! Didn't know of your involvement Brian, that's pretty cool!

Comment

• jwyblejr
                            galactic yo-yo
                            • Apr 6, 2006

Canadian TV also seemed to have the better events for the Olympics back in the day too.

Comment

• Brazoo
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by cjefferys
                              Again, embarrassed to admit that I've never watched Corner Gas! Didn't know of your involvement Brian, that's pretty cool!
                              Me neither!

I'm pretty bad though, I've also never seen an episode of Degrassi in any form or Trailer Park Boys (I did see their first short movie on YouTube). I've heard Kim's Convenience and Letterkenny are funny, but I haven't seen them yet.

When I was a kid I remember seeing Bizarre and The Littlest Hobo (The Incredible Hulk 70s show with a dog, if that makes sense.) And obviously SCTV and Kids in the Hall are two of my favourite shows of all time.

I can barely remember The Beachcombers or King of Kensington now, but I think I did watch those.

Comment

• palitoy
                                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Brazoo
                                I've heard Kim's Convenience and Letterkenny are funny, but I haven't seen them yet.

Kim's Convenience is well done although I feel guilty with some of the stereotypes, even though I grew up with a family exactly like this. I watched the first couple of seasons of Letterkenny and really enjoyed it but eventually burned out on it (binge).

I only had a small BW TV in my room as a kid so I'd watch Canadian sitcoms like "Hanging In" and "Snowjob" pretty regularly, I even remember watching "The Beachcombers" and "Seeing Things" for a period of time.

"Made in Canada" was a real fave of mine in the 1990s, it was a pretty funny parody of film and television production in Canada, they mainly made a Hercules/Road To Avonlea type knock off shows that really weren't too far from the truth. Rick Mercer was the star.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎