Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Was The Best Non-TOS Star Trek Series?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I"ve been watching ST TOS daily for a few weeks. People gripe about the decline in quality in season 3, both in writing and budget. Sure, there is "Spock's Brain" which seems nearly Irwin Allen-quality. But there are several good episodes, and a few great ones.

Overall, TOS is heads and shoulders above its contemporaries and still holds up.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

After TOS...

1. Deep Space 9
      2. The Next Generation
      3. Voyager
      4. Enterprise
      5. The Orville
      6. The Animated Series
      7. Star Trek Continues
      8. My used underwear
      9. Weekend at Hades
      10. Eating Mosquito Droppings
      11. Turkish Star Trek
      12, Indian Star Trek
      103. Honey Boo Boo Trek
      104. Discovery
      sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

Thanks, all. Sounds like DS9 is the place to start.
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I never grew fond of any of them, I think Roddenberry's "lack of conflict" manta make it hard for me to relate to anyone on those ships. I tried with every series but eventually just tapped out. I've heard Enterprise got really good in it's later seasons though.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

It did. And honestly, DS9 had conflicts and more layered, ongoing storytelling.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Brue
              User without title
              • Sep 29, 2005

I thought this was a rhetorical question oh, so there was no need to State it is the next generation. I hope everybody understands this.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                valar morghulis
                • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                It did. And honestly, DS9 had conflicts and more layered, ongoing storytelling.
                And none of the other TNG-era shows come close to the fantastic ensemble of recurring characters that DS9 featured outside of the "main crew":

Rom
                Garak
                Gul Dukat
                Weyoun
                Nog
                Martok
                Leeta
                Morn
                Zek
                Vic Fontaine
                Kai Winn
                Kasidy Yates
                Damar
                Female Founder

..and probably a few more that I'm forgetting..
                Last edited by Sideshow Spock; May 1, '19, 4:11 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I never grew fond of any of them, I think Roddenberry's "lack of conflict" manta make it hard for me to relate to anyone on those ships. I tried with every series but eventually just tapped out. I've heard Enterprise got really good in it's later seasons though.
                  Roddenberry's shift to "humanism" really did take the teeth out of Trek. It's at its most pure in TMP and the first few seasons of TNG. That Netflix doc was fascinating, hearing how the early creators were trying to bring some inner conflict into the show to keep it from being a snooze fest.

Meanwhile Harve Bennett and Nic Meyer are upping the military angle in the films, much to Roddenberry's ire. Very interesting times for Trek!

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎