Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Was The Best Non-TOS Star Trek Series?

After watching the original series of Star Trek, the next best series is the Animated Series!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LonnieFisher View Post
    After watching the original series of Star Trek, the next best series is the Animated Series!
    I've always wanted to love the Animated Series since new but I could never get beyond just liking it.

A few things I don't care for …

--- Stories are very slow moving

--- Actors have a tendency to talk too slow (like an adult reading a bedtime story)

--- The overuse of the cast talking for most guests and aliens get's tedious --- James Doohan seemed to not even try to disguise his voice.

--- Animation was awful

--- Incidental music was great but too repetitive … should have at least made few different action themes.

--- Many stories are just plain lousy -- see The Infinite Vulcan and Practical Joker

That said, I still like the series, but I don't love it.
    .................................................. .......................

Images
    Blog Entries
    TNG is my favorite. Then I'd say Voyager Seven of Nine onward, and DS9 Dominion War onward. I'd have a hard time picking.

I like Enterprise, but it's like apples/oranges to me relative to the postquels.

Images
    Blog Entries
    In my mind, warts and all, it's "Season 4." And more importantly, it enabled Mego Trek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I've always wanted to love the Animated Series since new but I could never get beyond just liking it.

A few things I don't care for …

--- Stories are very slow moving

--- Actors have a tendency to talk too slow (like an adult reading a bedtime story)

--- The overuse of the cast talking for most guests and aliens get's tedious --- James Doohan seemed to not even try to disguise his voice.

--- Animation was awful

--- Incidental music was great but too repetitive … should have at least made few different action themes.

--- Many stories are just plain lousy -- see The Infinite Vulcan and Practical Joker

That said, I still like the series, but I don't love it.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
    Add in that Enterprise is worth it just for the Shran episodes, Jeffery Combs killed it. One more season and he was going to be a regular, not sure as a crew member or what.
    So true. I've always liked the Andorians, from TOS onward.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Images
    Blog Entries
    I"ve been watching ST TOS daily for a few weeks. People gripe about the decline in quality in season 3, both in writing and budget. Sure, there is "Spock's Brain" which seems nearly Irwin Allen-quality. But there are several good episodes, and a few great ones.

Overall, TOS is heads and shoulders above its contemporaries and still holds up.

After TOS...

1. Deep Space 9
    2. The Next Generation
    3. Voyager
    4. Enterprise
    5. The Orville
    6. The Animated Series
    7. Star Trek Continues
    8. My used underwear
    9. Weekend at Hades
    10. Eating Mosquito Droppings
    11. Turkish Star Trek
    12, Indian Star Trek
    103. Honey Boo Boo Trek
    104. Discovery

Images
    Thanks, all. Sounds like DS9 is the place to start.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Blog Entries
    I never grew fond of any of them, I think Roddenberry's "lack of conflict" manta make it hard for me to relate to anyone on those ships. I tried with every series but eventually just tapped out. I've heard Enterprise got really good in it's later seasons though.

Images
    Blog Entries
    It did. And honestly, DS9 had conflicts and more layered, ongoing storytelling.