Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Was The Best Non-TOS Star Trek Series?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Which Was The Best Non-TOS Star Trek Series?

I'm thinking about going back and watching one of the Trek spin-offs series. I've seen most of the TNG episodes, so I'm looking at one of the other non-TOS series.

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

For me its DS9 followed by Enterprise
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Back in the day I would have said Next Generation, but today I enjoy Deep Space Nine a lot more.

For me, Voyager and Enterprise aren't even palatable

Comment

• Brown Bear
        Still Old School
        • Feb 14, 2008

If Shatner/Kirk isn't in it, then it's not Star Trek in my book. It's like calling a show Happy Days without the Fonz or Three's Company without Jack Tripper.

So my answer is "TOS or nothing".
        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I'd say DS9. I didn't hate Enterprise...
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Klosterheim
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 23, 2013

I say DS9, even though I realize TNG was greatly needed to lay it's foundation.

It's good to watch Enterprise again now, because watching them back to back, I noticed that the episodes do fit together incredibly well.

Plus when it's a new show, certain things seem to stand out as odd, now that it's an old show, it is smoother and I am used to how things are in the show.

The next closest thing to Star Trek is Stargate: Atlantis, which is really good on blu-ray.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

For me the Dominion War is what saved Deep Space Nine.

On top of that the finale was excellent --- Should have been a theatrical release instead of Next Gen movie pablum

Comment

• Leonardo Myst
                • Apr 18, 2019

I would have to say Next Generation, but since you're looking for non-TNG, I'd say DS9.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Add in that Enterprise is worth it just for the Shran episodes, Jeffery Combs killed it. One more season and he was going to be a regular, not sure as a crew member or what.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

I enjoyed a fair few of the TNG episodes during its run. Some were great, others less so.
                    DS9 only really became interesting once the Dominion War began. I found most of the main characters unengaging and often tedious.
                    Similarly, Voyager's later episodes were the most compelling for me... it got noticeably better when they introduced Seven of Nine.
                    Enterprise had its moments and had likeable characters. Took a few liberties with established Trek lore, though.
                    All in all, TOS will never be equalled or bettered.
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

After watching the original series of Star Trek, the next best series is the Animated Series!

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                        After watching the original series of Star Trek, the next best series is the Animated Series!
                        I've always wanted to love the Animated Series since new but I could never get beyond just liking it.

A few things I don't care for …

--- Stories are very slow moving

--- Actors have a tendency to talk too slow (like an adult reading a bedtime story)

--- The overuse of the cast talking for most guests and aliens get's tedious --- James Doohan seemed to not even try to disguise his voice.

--- Animation was awful

--- Incidental music was great but too repetitive … should have at least made few different action themes.

--- Many stories are just plain lousy -- see The Infinite Vulcan and Practical Joker

That said, I still like the series, but I don't love it.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                          Moderation Engineer
                          • Aug 14, 2003

TNG is my favorite. Then I'd say Voyager Seven of Nine onward, and DS9 Dominion War onward. I'd have a hard time picking.

I like Enterprise, but it's like apples/oranges to me relative to the postquels.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

In my mind, warts and all, it's "Season 4." And more importantly, it enabled Mego Trek.
                            Originally posted by Mikey
                            I've always wanted to love the Animated Series since new but I could never get beyond just liking it.

A few things I don't care for …

--- Stories are very slow moving

--- Actors have a tendency to talk too slow (like an adult reading a bedtime story)

--- The overuse of the cast talking for most guests and aliens get's tedious --- James Doohan seemed to not even try to disguise his voice.

--- Animation was awful

--- Incidental music was great but too repetitive … should have at least made few different action themes.

--- Many stories are just plain lousy -- see The Infinite Vulcan and Practical Joker

That said, I still like the series, but I don't love it.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                              Add in that Enterprise is worth it just for the Shran episodes, Jeffery Combs killed it. One more season and he was going to be a regular, not sure as a crew member or what.
                              So true. I've always liked the Andorians, from TOS onward.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎