Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Secret Wars Hulk Prototype

i just always used Mego hulk with my secret wars and super powers. he towered over them as the hulk should

Beautiful figure. I would have bought it for sure. It does remind me of the Vic's Novelty Hulk. Maybe it's the lack of neck.

Images
    I guess I never realized that Hulk was never made for the line. I had a few of them back in the day but was always more of a SP fan

where can i find more on this book? who is the author, or do you know the isbn?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cjefferys View Post
    And yeah, Kenner totally screwed up by banking on the Kirby Fourth World characters for the second series of Super Powers. As a fan of those comics, I was thrilled to see them, but the general public was just confused by these completely unknown and weird characters. They were all pegwarmers for years afterwards from what I remember.
    Considering they were on every Saturday morning, I don't think I'd call them unknown. Old stone face was the premiere big bad for the last two seasons of Super Friends. There wasn't a lot of coordination twixt Kenner and Hanna Barbera, or so it seemed, but this actually made sense. The big problem was that Darkseid shipped in a solid case, which is why he joined the Flash on pegs around here for many years to come after the third wave tanked.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Considering they were on every Saturday morning, I don't think I'd call them unknown. Old stone face was the premiere big bad for the last two seasons of Super Friends. There wasn't a lot of coordination twixt Kenner and Hanna Barbera, or so it seemed, but this actually made sense. The big problem was that Darkseid shipped in a solid case, which is why he joined the Flash on pegs around here for many years to come after the third wave tanked.
    Yeah, i agree that TV exposure is probably a safe bet, I just think Kenner vastly overestimated the Apokolips crew's potential popularity with kids. They were relatively new to children at this point (heck I didn't even know some of these characters!).

I didn't know about the case lots of Darkseid, that was clearly a fumble. He should have been short packed.

Darkseid was in a solid case, because he was a larger deluxe figure that had a higher price point than the rest of the line.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    Yeah, i agree that TV exposure is probably a safe bet, I just think Kenner vastly overestimated the Apokolips crew's potential popularity with kids. They were relatively new to children at this point (heck I didn't even know some of these characters!).

I didn't know about the case lots of Darkseid, that was clearly a fumble. He should have been short packed.
    Admittedly, Iím a guy who only knows well the ďmainĒ comic book characters. Iím aware of many of the others, but donít know much or anything about them and am not so interested to know. Because of that, the second series of Super Powers left me cold, for the most part. I loved the line and was excited for new figures before the new series was released. Once Series 2 was out, I recall being a bit confused by it because I didnít know who a good number of the figures were. Green Arrow was awesome. I knew Firestorm, Darkseid and Steppenwolf since they were on The Super Friends. Shazam, Cyborg, Plastic Man and Samurai along with a couple of well known villains should have been part of that wave...basically half of Series 3 should have made up half of Series 2. I do think the Series Two figure choices lead to the end of the line. It was a real let down after the smash that was Series One.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

While selection of characters may have been a factor, keep in mind the reports over the years of the pack-outs for wave three. According to what I've read, some of the third waves cases were packed full of older figures with only a handful of the new ones; according to one source, you could get a case with 6 new figures and 18 of one old figure (that was in either Tomart's or Lee's some years ago) . It sounds crazy, but it would explain why there were so many Flash figures left around my area when the line ended (and there were a LOT of them).