Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Secret Wars Hulk Prototype

Oh man, that’s a beautiful sculpt!! I used to assume Hulk would come out someday and I would imagine what it would look like.
    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Images
    Yeah, in 1984, Transformers and GI Joe RAH were huge! Though, I think 1983 was my big GI Joe Christmas. 1984 was my Super Powers Christmas.

Back on topic...that Hulk is great! No idea why that guy wasn’t put into production. Lots of money left on the table. Very strange decision. Secret Wars never did pull me in. However, I knew a couple of kids who had a few of the figures.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    That's what I remember. First wave sold great. Then Darkseid and his minions tanked the line. I think the Kaybee in my area still had Darkseid, Dasaad and Kalibak into the early 90s.
    I honestly remember joking that the "Total Justice" Darkseid arrived just in time to take the place of the Super Powers one. Kang and Darkseid were still definitely in my TRU (along with tons of MOTU) around 1993.

Images
    I picked up a few of the Secret Wars figures as I was eagerly buying the book every month. Loved it. Always lamented the lack of a Hulk and Thing figure in the line. Fascinating photo!
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_T7BhcH-_Lqw/Rph52zHLjQI/AAAAAAAAAWY/IRQJUp3saOs/s200/Hulk.jpg

Looking for one CAH Mego Comic Activator (working or non working).

Images
    Blog Entries
    Secret Wars really didn't appeal to me aesthetically, I was spoiled by Super Powers. That said, I thought Kang, Zemo, and Cap were nice figures.

To me, the Hulk prototype seems styled from an entirely different line. Released alone, I think it would have sold like crazy.
    WANTED:Grayson SI trousers; Dale Arden dagger; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Images
    The Super Powers figures are better sculpted, better articulated and better engineered toys but I still really dig the Secret Wars figures. They are so bright, shiny and colorful. Love the glossiness of them. They look like toy candy. I think they are just cheerful looking little figures.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

It sucks that Mattel totally halfassed the Secret Wars line. There totally should have been a Hulk, considering that he was the second most well known Marvel superhero to the general public at the time (i.e. non comic-reading folks) it's staggering that he wasn't included in the line.

And yeah, Kenner totally screwed up by banking on the Kirby Fourth World characters for the second series of Super Powers. As a fan of those comics, I was thrilled to see them, but the general public was just confused by these completely unknown and weird characters. They were all pegwarmers for years afterwards from what I remember.

Hey! That Secret Wars Hulk sculpt's very very cool, indeed! The posted pic is *Appreciated*! The musculature definition may have seemed a bit avantgarde for the time.
    Quite a piece of history there.

Images
    Man, I would have LOVED that Hulk as a kid! The lack of a Hulk was stupifying. Clearly, Mattel was more concerned with making truckloads of cash off of MOTU. And to think they originally pitched this SW concept to DC and they passed.

I think Kenner was thinking MOTU and GI Joe too much with Super Powers. By going all in on Darkseid as the big bad, they ignored the villain characters that many kids knew like the Riddler and Bizarro. Older seasons of Super Friends was still in constant reruns, as was Batman '66. They had built in advertising through those. Heck, even though it was 6 years earlier, the line may have lasted longer had they just went straight "Challenge of the Super Friends" with the toys.

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

I have heard that Mattel intentionally put very little money into Secret Wars as they didn't want it to cannibalize the sales of Masters of the Universe. Thus explaining the lack of capes in the first wave and incessant reuse of body parts. I still have no idea what motivated some of the second wave character selections. I also think that throughout the era Mattel overemphasized villains over heroes. Just look at Battlestar Galactica, Apollo was arguably the main character and had no figure, but we got a Boray. The Hulk would easily have outsold Baron Zemo. Oddly, I always figured a Secret Wars Hulk would have had cloth pants so his torso and legs could be used for The Thing. I figured their Thing would have had printed rocks like the lines on their Spider Man.