X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Secret Wars Hulk Prototype

I'm surprised this isn't making more of a buzz. I caught this in a toy group I'm in on FB. There is a new book called "Engineering an Empire" which is all about the Kenner folks who made SW happen and it's apparently a great read. This is just one of the nuggets in it, the Hulk Prototype from Secret Wars.

I'm not a huge Hulk fan but i'll never understand why he wasn't in wave one, he had a Saturday Morning show!

57398669_10156553559098655_4287643221414117376_n.jpg
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

Looks like they could have modded it a bit and made a Thing figure as well.

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
      There is a new book called "Engineering an Empire" which is all about the Kenner folks who made SW happen and it's apparently a great read.
      I wonder if the book will confirm that a Kenner big wig just happened to be in NYC when Fox was shopping the Star Wars rights. Or will it be played as a deft, intentional move to land a property they knew was going to be huge

I'm not a huge Hulk fan but i'll never understand why he wasn't in wave one, he had a Saturday Morning show!
      And the character was still pretty well implanted in the pop psyche even though the TV show was off the air for a couple years. Along with Spidey, I'd say he was still Marvel's most recognizable character at that time.
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• palitoy
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Wee67
        I wonder if the book will confirm that a Kenner big wig just happened to be in NYC when Fox was shopping the Star Wars rights. Or will it be played as a deft, intentional move to land a property they knew was going to be huge
        Now that the "toys that made us" edited Marty into looking like he was covering the truth (so many people I've spoken too have backed up the "Marty was in Japan" thing including people that were there with him), it'll never be undone.

Originally posted by Wee67
        And the character was still pretty well implanted in the pop psyche even though the TV show was off the air for a couple years. Along with Spidey, I'd say he was still Marvel's most recognizable character at that time.
        Oh no doubt, big two and he would have outsold everybody but possibly Spider-Man.

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

Shooter has talked a good deal about that previously. Hulk wasn't in it for the same reason Daredevil was; production costs. It's an interesting project as Mattel hamstrung themselves on the development side. It's like they weren't prepared for the book they requested to explode. Instead of meeting demand, they folded.

Comment

• palitoy
            • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah I figured it was Mattel's lack of investment in the line that KO'd it. It seems surreal they had a proven, winning license and tanked it? hubris.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

That's awesome. Would have been a big seller too. Super popular character and was actually in the comic.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

^My question has been, was Super Powers really selling that well? And if it was, and the Secret Wars comic was yuge, why bail on SW in '85 when SP carried on into '86?

SP was big marketing but I never felt it was hot like He-Man, GI Joe or Transformers. I gotta read more about that line's creation...

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by hedrap
                  SP was big marketing but I never felt it was hot like He-Man, GI Joe or Transformers. I gotta read more about that line's creation...
                  I worked toy retail for Christmas 1984 (I wish i had taken photos) and Transformers was the panic, demand was insane. He-Man was definitely the second hottest line, I remember we sold a ton of Blackstar castles (probably cheaper than Castle Greyskull), Joe was good too.

That first wave of superpowers was a solid seller, especially the batmobile, not in the range of the other three but yeah it was popular.

The second wave didn't do nearly as well, I remember a lot of it went to discount stores. Justice Joggers and Delta Probes clogged the shelves with Darseids and Desaads. Finding a Batman was impossible.

Secret Wars? A few of the characters sold like Spider-Man, a lot of guys my age were buying them thanks to the comic series, the vehicles and playsets went nowhere. Even the display was kind of bland. It was so bad that in 1987, a friend who worked at TRU called me to tell me he'd found sealed cases in the back. I cherry picked all the Wolverines (i could $15 for them by that point) and walked away. The shelves still crammed with Magneto and Kang.

The Star Wars section kind of made me sad.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

That first wave of superpowers was a solid seller, especially the batmobile, not in the range of the other three but yeah it was popular.

The second wave didn't do as well, I remember a lot of it went to discount stores. Justice Joggers and Delta Probes clogged the shelves with Darseids and Desaads. Finding a Batman was impossible.
                    That's what I remember. First wave sold great. Then Darkseid and his minions tanked the line. I think the Kaybee in my area still had Darkseid, Dasaad and Kalibak into the early 90s.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                      Often invisible
                      • Jul 18, 2002

Oh man, that’s a beautiful sculpt!! I used to assume Hulk would come out someday and I would imagine what it would look like.
                      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

Yeah, in 1984, Transformers and GI Joe RAH were huge! Though, I think 1983 was my big GI Joe Christmas. 1984 was my Super Powers Christmas.

Back on topic...that Hulk is great! No idea why that guy wasn’t put into production. Lots of money left on the table. Very strange decision. Secret Wars never did pull me in. However, I knew a couple of kids who had a few of the figures.

- Ian
                        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
                          That's what I remember. First wave sold great. Then Darkseid and his minions tanked the line. I think the Kaybee in my area still had Darkseid, Dasaad and Kalibak into the early 90s.
                          I honestly remember joking that the "Total Justice" Darkseid arrived just in time to take the place of the Super Powers one. Kang and Darkseid were still definitely in my TRU (along with tons of MOTU) around 1993.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                            HULK SMASH!
                            • Apr 3, 2010

I picked up a few of the Secret Wars figures as I was eagerly buying the book every month. Loved it. Always lamented the lack of a Hulk and Thing figure in the line. Fascinating photo!
                            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Secret Wars really didn't appeal to me aesthetically, I was spoiled by Super Powers. That said, I thought Kang, Zemo, and Cap were nice figures.

To me, the Hulk prototype seems styled from an entirely different line. Released alone, I think it would have sold like crazy.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎