Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Secret Wars Hulk Prototype

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 15, 2001
    Location
    My Pants
    Posts
    55,672
    Blog Entries
    8

    Secret Wars Hulk Prototype

    I'm surprised this isn't making more of a buzz. I caught this in a toy group I'm in on FB. There is a new book called "Engineering an Empire" which is all about the Kenner folks who made SW happen and it's apparently a great read. This is just one of the nuggets in it, the Hulk Prototype from Secret Wars.

    I'm not a huge Hulk fan but i'll never understand why he wasn't in wave one, he had a Saturday Morning show!

    57398669_10156553559098655_4287643221414117376_n.jpg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 6, 2006
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    10,574
    Images
    12
    Looks like they could have modded it a bit and made a Thing figure as well.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2, 2002
    Location
    down in the paneled rec room
    Posts
    9,424
    Images
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    There is a new book called "Engineering an Empire" which is all about the Kenner folks who made SW happen and it's apparently a great read.
    I wonder if the book will confirm that a Kenner big wig just happened to be in NYC when Fox was shopping the Star Wars rights. Or will it be played as a deft, intentional move to land a property they knew was going to be huge

    Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    I'm not a huge Hulk fan but i'll never understand why he wasn't in wave one, he had a Saturday Morning show!
    And the character was still pretty well implanted in the pop psyche even though the TV show was off the air for a couple years. Along with Spidey, I'd say he was still Marvel's most recognizable character at that time.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 15, 2001
    Location
    My Pants
    Posts
    55,672
    Blog Entries
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Wee67 View Post
    I wonder if the book will confirm that a Kenner big wig just happened to be in NYC when Fox was shopping the Star Wars rights. Or will it be played as a deft, intentional move to land a property they knew was going to be huge
    Now that the "toys that made us" edited Marty into looking like he was covering the truth (so many people I've spoken too have backed up the "Marty was in Japan" thing including people that were there with him), it'll never be undone.



    Quote Originally Posted by Wee67 View Post
    And the character was still pretty well implanted in the pop psyche even though the TV show was off the air for a couple years. Along with Spidey, I'd say he was still Marvel's most recognizable character at that time.
    Oh no doubt, big two and he would have outsold everybody but possibly Spider-Man.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 10, 2009
    Posts
    4,354
    Images
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    I'm not a huge Hulk fan but i'll never understand why he wasn't in wave one, he had a Saturday Morning show!
    Shooter has talked a good deal about that previously. Hulk wasn't in it for the same reason Daredevil was; production costs. It's an interesting project as Mattel hamstrung themselves on the development side. It's like they weren't prepared for the book they requested to explode. Instead of meeting demand, they folded.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 15, 2001
    Location
    My Pants
    Posts
    55,672
    Blog Entries
    8
    Yeah I figured it was Mattel's lack of investment in the line that KO'd it. It seems surreal they had a proven, winning license and tanked it? hubris.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 14, 2003
    Location
    Netherworld
    Posts
    11,848
    Images
    148
    That's awesome. Would have been a big seller too. Super popular character and was actually in the comic.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 10, 2009
    Posts
    4,354
    Images
    10
    ^My question has been, was Super Powers really selling that well? And if it was, and the Secret Wars comic was yuge, why bail on SW in '85 when SP carried on into '86?

    SP was big marketing but I never felt it was hot like He-Man, GI Joe or Transformers. I gotta read more about that line's creation...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 15, 2001
    Location
    My Pants
    Posts
    55,672
    Blog Entries
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by hedrap View Post
    SP was big marketing but I never felt it was hot like He-Man, GI Joe or Transformers. I gotta read more about that line's creation...
    I worked toy retail for Christmas 1984 (I wish i had taken photos) and Transformers was the panic, demand was insane. He-Man was definitely the second hottest line, I remember we sold a ton of Blackstar castles (probably cheaper than Castle Greyskull), Joe was good too.

    That first wave of superpowers was a solid seller, especially the batmobile, not in the range of the other three but yeah it was popular.

    The second wave didn't do nearly as well, I remember a lot of it went to discount stores. Justice Joggers and Delta Probes clogged the shelves with Darseids and Desaads. Finding a Batman was impossible.

    Secret Wars? A few of the characters sold like Spider-Man, a lot of guys my age were buying them thanks to the comic series, the vehicles and playsets went nowhere. Even the display was kind of bland. It was so bad that in 1987, a friend who worked at TRU called me to tell me he'd found sealed cases in the back. I cherry picked all the Wolverines (i could $15 for them by that point) and walked away. The shelves still crammed with Magneto and Kang.

    The Star Wars section kind of made me sad.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 14, 2003
    Location
    Netherworld
    Posts
    11,848
    Images
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    That first wave of superpowers was a solid seller, especially the batmobile, not in the range of the other three but yeah it was popular.

    The second wave didn't do as well, I remember a lot of it went to discount stores. Justice Joggers and Delta Probes clogged the shelves with Darseids and Desaads. Finding a Batman was impossible.
    That's what I remember. First wave sold great. Then Darkseid and his minions tanked the line. I think the Kaybee in my area still had Darkseid, Dasaad and Kalibak into the early 90s.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •