Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Favorite Playset Was Not A Mego

Images
    All of those play sets are great!

For me, I think it’s the Super Powers Hall of Justice and the GI Joe RAH headquarters.

I loved the Kenner SW vehicles, but I can’t recall play sets other than small ones. For me, the Millennium Falcon was very play-set-like.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Super-cool playsets.

Hall of Justice looks amazing and I would have really been into Fortress of Solitude.

I had some playsets, but early on I even used homemade foam and decorated cardboard sets, ha!, ha!

Images
    Major Matt Mason Space Station. My parents were friends with the owner of a local grocery store and managed to get one of those 6 shelf shampoo sale racks they would set up in the aisle. Sale was over and they were throwing it out. My space station went on top and it became the subsurface part of the base.

CCC.
    Last edited by LordMudd; Apr 25, '19 at 4:09 PM.

I had the Sears exclusive version of the AT Training tower. Downside was it did not come with the rope slide. Upside is it came with a 7 foot by 7 foot ( yes you read that right 49 square feet) vinyl play mat with a spot for the tower in the center, the AT HQ in one corner and a helipad for the AT Helicopter in another corner. It also had a Styrofoam cave and working spotlight. Setting the whole thing up with the tower, HQ and Copter was nirvana. Vintage 3d Joes has a great write up anf picture of the set:

http://www.vintage3djoes.com/adventu...ng-center.html

and believe it or not, Joe repro deal 3rd Son books sells a reproduction of the 7x7 mat. If I still had my tower, I'd be all over it.

https://www.gijoeat3rdsonbooks.com/c...t-reproduction

PS I've stated this before, but the AT MSV is hands down the BEST TOY EVER MADE, BAR NONE. I did not have one as a kid, but am the proud owner of one today.

Second Favorite was Mego, but not 8" scale- it was the Micronauts Astro Station, playset and vehicle in one. Tons of play value on that little set.
    Last edited by Ninersphan1; Apr 23, '19 at 4:40 PM.

7' x 7' play mat sounds awesome!

They should make various science-fiction landscapes like that, today. It would be great to see all the little details they would draw on it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klosterheim View Post
    7' x 7' play mat sounds awesome!

They should make various science-fiction landscapes like that, today. It would be great to see all the little details they would draw on it.
    Too many companies are incapable of thinking outside the box. After the Green Lantern movie was out, I thought the company that makes the really big rubber bouncy balls in the pvc pipe rack at Walmart (Kmart and TRU too) should have done balls that looked like OA and Mogo. That would have been relative enough to be planet scale for 4" figures. They could have done Krypton, Ego, and other fictional planets as well as out solar system. The latter would not have required any licensing. Seriously, what kid wouldn't want Mogo hanging out over his GL collection, or Krypton for Superman. Simple paint app process, major missed opportunity.

CCC.

GIJOE RAH Headquarters(1983)

Quote Originally Posted by LordMudd View Post
    Too many companies are incapable of thinking outside the box. After the Green Lantern movie was out, I thought the company that makes the really big rubber bouncy balls in the pvc pipe rack at Walmart (Kmart and TRU too) should have done balls that looked like OA and Mogo. That would have been relative enough to be planet scale for 4" figures. They could have done Krypton, Ego, and other fictional planets as well as out solar system. The latter would not have required any licensing. Seriously, what kid wouldn't want Mogo hanging out over his GL collection, or Krypton for Superman. Simple paint app process, major missed opportunity.

CCC.
    That would have been really good. Very cool ideas!

Man, I loved that GI Joe tower. Used it with everything, including Megos. Simple, but a fantastic toy.

Images
    I loved the 1973 ideal playsets they are Pocket hero scale.