X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

My Favorite Playset Was Not A Mego

What was your favorite playset when you were a kid?

The Vintage Mego episode on the POTA Forbidden Zone and the post on the System Control Headquarters got me thinking about how much I loved playsets when I was a kid. I was a total Megohead growing up. I thought Megos were so much cooler than any other figure. I also was nuts about the WGSH playsets I had AND my brother's Enterprise. But when I think about it, there was a playset I always coveted- the GI Joe Training Center. My mother's friend's kids had a great collection of GI Joe stuff. As much as I preferred my Megos, I couldn't deny some of the really cool stuff for 12" Joe. The Training Center had so much play potential. Maybe never having it added to its allure, but I'm convinced I could've come up with a million adventures using that 3-ft-high bad boy.

Oh, and BTW... I also really covered those guys' Mobile Support Vehicle. That thing was sooooo cool!

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • Marvelmania
    A Ray of Sunshine
    • Jun 17, 2001

This is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

My favourite playset of all time was the Adventure Team HQ. Hard to beat A-Team Joe’s.
      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

both are awesome sets. Joe did have the coolest vehicles and playsets

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

Yeah, the adventure team sets were the playset equivalent to the Evel Kneivel stunt cycle set. Unlimited fun.

- Ian
          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• rykerw1701
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 27, 2007

For me it was the GI Joe Headquarters, which I've managed to hang on to since 1974. That was the absolute epicenter of all GI Joe action, including attacks from the Six Million Dollar Man Bigfoot and Action Jackson minions. I never had any Mego playsets as a kid, though I built one for them similar to the GO Joe headquarters.

Comment

• Leonardo Myst
              • Apr 18, 2019

There were two favorites, but one was a Mego (the lab for the 3-inch monsters).

The other one was the Hoth Imperial play set for Star Wars.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

As much as I love my Mego Batcave...

It's either Super Powers Hall of Justice or Castle Grayskull. I will admit that Grayskull is the more iconic toy. But the SP HoJ is something I never thought I would own. I had no idea Mego had ever made one. And this one LOOKED like it...even if it was yellow, like the comics.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                  HULK SMASH!
                  • Apr 3, 2010

For me it was the Mego CAH Fortress of Solitude and the Kenner Death Star Space Station.

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

The fortress of mystery and power.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

All of those play sets are great!

For me, I think it’s the Super Powers Hall of Justice and the GI Joe RAH headquarters.

I loved the Kenner SW vehicles, but I can’t recall play sets other than small ones. For me, the Millennium Falcon was very play-set-like.

- Ian
                      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Klosterheim
                        Persistent Member
                        • Mar 23, 2013

Super-cool playsets.

Hall of Justice looks amazing and I would have really been into Fortress of Solitude.

I had some playsets, but early on I even used homemade foam and decorated cardboard sets, ha!, ha!

Comment

• LordMudd
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 22, 2011

Major Matt Mason Space Station. My parents were friends with the owner of a local grocery store and managed to get one of those 6 shelf shampoo sale racks they would set up in the aisle. Sale was over and they were throwing it out. My space station went on top and it became the subsurface part of the base.

CCC.
                          Last edited by LordMudd; Apr 25, '19, 4:09 PM.

Comment

• Ninersphan1
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 27, 2009

I had the Sears exclusive version of the AT Training tower. Downside was it did not come with the rope slide. Upside is it came with a 7 foot by 7 foot ( yes you read that right 49 square feet) vinyl play mat with a spot for the tower in the center, the AT HQ in one corner and a helipad for the AT Helicopter in another corner. It also had a Styrofoam cave and working spotlight. Setting the whole thing up with the tower, HQ and Copter was nirvana. Vintage 3d Joes has a great write up anf picture of the set:

and believe it or not, Joe repro deal 3rd Son books sells a reproduction of the 7x7 mat. If I still had my tower, I'd be all over it.

We finally found someone to redo the art and make a reproduction of the 7' X 7' 3 foot tower play mat. Let just say all the work paid off because we sold a bunch already and everyone loves them! Here for you, at a discounted price, is our version of the play mat. It has our information on the bottom so you cannot confu

PS I've stated this before, but the AT MSV is hands down the BEST TOY EVER MADE, BAR NONE. I did not have one as a kid, but am the proud owner of one today.

Second Favorite was Mego, but not 8" scale- it was the Micronauts Astro Station, playset and vehicle in one. Tons of play value on that little set.
                            Last edited by Ninersphan1; Apr 23, '19, 4:40 PM.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 23, 2013

7' x 7' play mat sounds awesome!

They should make various science-fiction landscapes like that, today. It would be great to see all the little details they would draw on it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎