Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • battmasterson
    Career Member
    • Dec 22, 2010

What product did you use for sculpting the mask? I am also excited to see the mask and the cape combined, and, the belts are just awe inspiring.

Comment

• darklord1967
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by battmasterson
      What product did you use for sculpting the mask? I am also excited to see the mask and the cape combined, and, the belts are just awe inspiring.

The mask was originally sculpted with Milliput modeling compound on the base of a bald Zica Gracie head. When the Milliput hardened , and the sculpt was smoothed, finessed, and completed, a mold was made, and castings of black flexible urethane were poured. The resulting castings were solid through and through. With my Dremel rotary tool, I then carefully hollowed out the castings into wearable head gear.

It is the exact same procedure I employed on custom Batman two years ago.
      Last edited by darklord1967; Jun 28, '19, 3:56 PM.
      I... am an action figure customizer

Comment

• scott metzger
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 9, 2007

Just the meticulous work on the belts alone has me floored. This is beyond amazing.

Comment

• darklord1967
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 27, 2008

Two weeks ago, I (painfully) missed MEGO MEET in order to attend the inaugural year of BROOKLYN COMIC CON here in my hometown of Brooklyn, NY.

I proudly unveiled my LEGENDS OF GOTHAM CITY Display exhibit of 8-inch scale Custom Action Figures and Diorama environments in celebration of The Batman mythology's 80th Anniversary.

I worked around the clock to get all figures and diorama details finished in time for the show.

Alas, several of the custom action figures characters were un-finished and had to be displayed in that state for the exhibit. To my great relief (and delight), the hundreds of visitors to my display didn't seem to care. They were very enthusiastic and had nothing but flattering (and very humbling) things to say about my work.

I am currently working to complete all unfinished figures and diorama details.

Here is the "Commissioner's kid"... Gotham Public Library's Head Librarian BARBARA GORDON, and her alter ego, the intrepid crime fighter BATGIRL in the same state of completion they were displayed during the exhibit:

Barbara was actually displayed with hands and wearing flat shoes. However, (as seen in these photos), her librarian spectacles were unpainted and did not have lenses placed in them yet. (CREDIT: Glasses frames were 3D printed by the venerable Chad and Sean Gordy back during MEGO MEET '15). With completed eye glasses, she'll pretty much be finished after that.

Finished 9Art Secret Identity File Card:

Despite being un-finished, I am reasonably pleased with the final direction this figure has taken. Like Barbara Gordon and my other female characters, I built custom Batgirl on my 7-inch tall "9Art Athletic Female" body (a heavily modified and re-sculpted Zica Gracie figure). All ball-jointed. Solid figure (not hollow).

Her removable cowl fits snugly and cleanly, but I still have more smoothing to do on the outside of her head gear. Fully wrist-posable, pleather Bat Guantlets (with bat fins) are still pending. Posing wires await installation on the leading edges of her Bat-Cape. And the foot portion of her Bat-boots obviously still need to be primed and given a few coats of glossy golden yellow lacquer. The boot shafts will also get a coat of color (to make the entire boot lengths one uniform color). However, the shafts will not need nearly as many coats of paint as the foot portions since they are already fabricated in yellow stretch pleather. These Bat-boots were my first attempt at creating the stylish "scrunchy slouch" boot design that I imagined Batgirl to sport.

Batgirl's 9Art Hero File Card

Last edited by darklord1967; Jun 28, '19, 5:23 PM.

Comment

• JediJaida
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 14, 2008

Fantastic! I love her!
            JediJaida

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

Now that's one gorgeous custom project, what a fantastic job, very nicely done.

Comment

• battmasterson
                Career Member
                • Dec 22, 2010

WOW! Just Wow. The work that you put in to achieve the level of detail is just awe inspiring. GREAT Job. I can't wait to see more.

Comment

• darklord1967
                  Persistent Member
                  • Mar 27, 2008

Thanks a TON for the nice words, guys.

Very shortly now, BOTH of these ladies will be finished (or should I say this ONE lady will be finished since Barbara Gordon IS Batgirl... BUT these are TWO separate custom figures...) Aw, never mind!! You know what I mean!
                  Last edited by darklord1967; Jul 8, '19, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• supes
                    For the love of Mego's!
                    • Jan 19, 2004

Truly amazing!! Words can not accurately describe how awesome your work is

For the love of Mego's

Comment

• Cee
                      • Sep 7, 2018

Good. Job.

Comment

• JediJaida
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 14, 2008

Very nice job. I’m pea green with envy over your talent.
                        JediJaida

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎