Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueribb
    • Apr 17, 2019

Pimple Balls

This is my first post. I hope it's the right place for this.

In a few NE US States there was a very popular ball called a "pimple ball". This was available for 10 to 25 cents at most toy shops in the 1950's to 1970's. I think it was discontinued around 1982. These were hollow rubber balls with pimples and lines embossed on them. After they went flat, kids would cut them in half and play half-ball. There are a few distributors for remakes of these balls today but they want a lot of money for them. The largest distributor is http://www.thepimpleball.com/ They want $5.50 each plus shipping which is ridiculous for a rubber ball.

Another distributor is JAT Creative Products. http://www.jatcreativeproducts.com/index.php?cPath=6 Their minimum order is 48 balls for $72 plus $12 shipping, which works out to about $1.75 each but I don't want 48 balls.

"5 Below" used to sell pimple balls a couple years ago for $1.99 each but they have none in stock these days.

I'd like to find another source for these balls. Does anyone know where I can get them at a reasonable price ?
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Unfortunately, I don't know of anywhere to pick one up for a reasonable price. I wish I could be more helpful with your first post.

I couldn't help but say how your post did take me back to the streets of West Philly, playing half-ball. We always believed that we cut them in half so they wouldn't travel as far. That way we wouldn't lose them under cars or down gutters.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Z-man 307
      Museum Super Collector
      • Mar 15, 2010

Same here, I don't know where you can get any these days for a reasonable cost, but definitely brought back my memories from Frankford (NE Philadelphia) in the late 70's. Never a better time!

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Z-man 307
        Same here, I don't know where you can get any these days for a reasonable cost, but definitely brought back my memories from Frankford (NE Philadelphia) in the late 70's. Never a better time!
        Hey Z, my grandparents lived in Juniata and Wissinoming (also NE Philly for others. Philly is a city of neighborhoods)! Played in a lot of half-ball games in both.

Comment

• Z-man 307
          Museum Super Collector
          • Mar 15, 2010

Yeah, growing up in Frankford was a great time. Getting Megos at Kresge’s and always being outside playing street hockey and other sports, even in the winter. It’s really sad to see how things have deteriorated, but we always have our memories. Those neighborhoods were the best! Our “gang” would make it up to Juniata sometimes. It was like going out to the “country”!

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

I'm from NW Jersey and never heard of them

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Mikey
              I'm from NW Jersey and never heard of them
              As far as I know (which tends to be not that far), I think pimple balls were generally used to play stickball, half-ball, wire ball, stoop ball... games played in cities. They are softer than tennis balls or raquetballs so they're less likely to break a window or damage a car. I'm not sure you would have had a need for pimple balls up near the Gap

I apologize for having seemingly hijacked this thread. I am assuming, however, that no one knows where to get pimple balls at a decent price.
              Last edited by Wee67; Apr 20, '19, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                Eloquent Member
                • Jan 19, 2008

Have you checked ebay?

Comment

• blueribb
                  • Apr 17, 2019

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                  Have you checked ebay?
                  Yes. There are none but I will be notified if any show up for sale.

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Wee67
                    I'm not sure you would have had a need for pimple balls up near the Gap

So true, back in the day you'd have a decent hike just looking for pavement that wasn't a main highway

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎