Marty Abrams in Forbes Magazine

He mentions a certain Museum...

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • jimbutsu
    Memory *is* RAM!
    • Apr 11, 2002

It's good to hear that Target has said the endeavor was profitable for them - you wouldn't know it to go to the location nearest my house, which still has a mess of the first wave on the pegs...
    "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

I am hopeful Marty mentioning Lord of the Rings alongside Planet of the Apes and Star Trek as brands everybody knows implies Mego has something cooking with those. I've been a bit down on the line with the lack of access at the brick and mortar level around here for the new stuff (I don't really like having to buy toys online, I prefer to buy in person), especiially with the rise in price through some of the online retailers, but LOTR might reel me back in.

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• comicmike
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 22, 2009

Great interview. Well written. Very inspiring. In my head, I can just hear Marty's voice in the quotes; or Paul playfully doing Marty's voice when re-quoting the responses.

Comment

• Z-man 307
          Museum Super Collector
          • Mar 15, 2010

He mentions Black Panther. Who do you think he really meant?

"We did Iron Man, Spiderman, we did Black Panther, all the way back then, and they withstood the test of time."

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Falcon?
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
              Museum Paramedic
              • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Z-man 307
              He mentions Black Panther. Who do you think he really meant?

"We did Iron Man, Spiderman, we did Black Panther, all the way back then, and they withstood the test of time."
              Maybe he knows and it’s hyperbole. Just as easily he could be misremembering.

Fun article, by the way.

- Ian
              Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

Great interview. Its nice to see Marty getting recognition. I really do credit Marty and Mego with starting the licensing wave for toys.

I found it interesting that he says Mego is intentionally under producing these days. It would explain why certain figures became unavailable so quickly.

I do think there are times when the salesman in him comes out. But that's part off what made Mego so successful the first time around.
                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Totally lots of salesman coming out, he's really good at marketing.

As for the "Black Panther" comment, it reminds me of Neal Kublan telling Robyn Mego made a "Captain Flash" . These guys knew the characters they grew up with, the others get lost in the fog a little.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                    Permanent Member
                    • May 15, 2009

Yeah definitely and they did make Falcon, so it probably just got conflated.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 11, 2013

I am wondering if Mego is going to finish the lines they started for Target. It would be strange to just stop on the TV series if they sold well.
                      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                        I am wondering if Mego is going to finish the lines they started for Target. It would be strange to just stop on the TV series if they sold well.
                        I’ll be happy to eat crow on this one, but I highly doubt that you are going to see lines restarted such as Facts of Life and The Brady Bunch or take your pick. In the article, my belief is that Marty was putting the best possible spin on Mego and the Mego-Target situation. Target was very important to a Mego’s rebirth, no question. Mego needed Target to get that foothold and it was successful: However, we all know that many of the lines were not hits, by any stretch of the imagination. To back that up, Marty stated in an, on camera, interview as much. I cannot quote Marty from said interview, but he said something along the lines that Mego won’t continue with these and wouldn’t be doing anymore unlicensed figure lines.

- Ian
                        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

I kind of figured some lines would stumble at the gate, it would be nice if Mego at least finished up the Brady Bunch series,
                          Mom, Dad and the rest of the kids, but no variants just the basic character. I think they made a mistake with broken nose
                          Marcia, should have just made her with a skirt or blue jeans.

I just say the Brady Bunch because of its popularity, much more than Facts of Life or Bewitched or Charmed, I doubt anymore characters from those lines will get done, but who knows?

I hope that Mego concentrates more on continuing the Trek line with more aliens and villains, Klingons, Khan, Mudd etc
                          and a few more Universal Monsters, Creature-Mole Men-the Fly-Phantom Opera and like many others, I would very much welcome a POTA line too.

I personally think Mego would be more successful with action series lines, sci-fi and horror, then sitcoms, JMO

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

From day one, I've noticed the reluctance on the sitcom lines from Mego. They've been vocal about how they had to include certain brands for the deal, I mostly expect fantasy characters going forward.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                              Often invisible
                              • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by TrekStar
                              I think they made a mistake with broken nose
                              Marcia, should have just made her with a skirt or blue jeans.
                              Speaking for myself, I bought Marcia Brady because of the broken nose and I wouldn’t have bought one otherwise.
                              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎