X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Vintage Mego 9: Planet of the Apes Forbidden Zone Trap

This week is all about one of my favourite Mego Playsets, the amazing Forbidden Zone Trap from the Planet of the Apes line.

We give a history of the set, it's many fun features and also talk about whether the gift set may or may not exist.

For more information on the Planet of the Apes line, please visit the Mego Museum gallery page:

Please subscribe to our channel for vintage toy goodness every week:
    This channel is the hub for two websites- The Megomuseum (megomuseum.com) which features the web's leading archive of toys produced by Mego Corporation. Our archive includes vintage commercials, the history of Mego reviews and "Mint Off Card" toy unboxings featuring the latest action figures by Figures Toy Company, NECA and Mego Corporation. PlaidStallions.com- The online archive devoted to 1970s culture and toys including Top Five lists, vintage toy commercials, short films about vintage toys and episodes of "Pod Stallions' the popular podcast hosted by Jason Lenzi (@bbplenzi) and PS founder Brain Heiler (@plaidstallions) Please subscribe to us, we'd subscribe to you.

More...
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

What a fun playset! Great video!

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

This is my favorite Mego playset. I never had this as a kid, but was overwhelmed when I picked one up as an adult. I can only imagine how it could've served almost any Mego line- Apes, WGSH, Trek... heck, you could even use it for Starsky & Hutch. The net alone is worth hours of play!

This is also the toy that almost made i possible for me to play again. One of the disappointing things I discovered as an adult collector is that I know longer had the ability to play like I did as a kid. I honestly tried but I just couldn't create adventures or battles outside of a few punches or a bit of flying. But adult me, walking Burke or Verdon into the net trap flashed me back, even for a moment, when I was inside one of those imaginary worlds. I couldn't hold on to it, but it is the closest I came to time travel.
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Brown Bear
        Still Old School
        • Feb 14, 2008

Oooo, really looking forward to watching this one. I don’t think I ever spent the time to really appreciate this set so I’m glad this one is posted. Can’t wait.
        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Excellent. I love this playset! I want a second one to make a Spidey OsCorp Warehouse, because--let's be honest--Mego gave Marvel the shaft regarding extras.

The Batcave is my favorite because of childhood memories, but FZ is the one I most wanted as an adult and is Mego's best playset IMO.
          Last edited by PNGwynne; Apr 16, '19, 4:07 PM.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Type3Toys
            Home Of The Type3 Body
            • Jan 18, 2005

I absolutely love Mego playsets! The POTA sets were incredible, like an entire universe!
            LOOK
            Action Figure Design & Prototypes
            For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
            To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• Brown Bear
              Still Old School
              • Feb 14, 2008

Now I want this in my house too.
              Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• newlyknighted
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 21, 2010

Great video! I hope Marty and Doc remake and release this one along with some great ape figures!
                I post in thy general direction!

Comment

• vulcan2074
                  Live Long and Prosper
                  • Mar 23, 2008

Fantastic video.
                  Sammy

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by vulcan2074
                    Fantastic video.
                    Sammy
                    Nice to see you again man!
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Wee67
                      This is also the toy that almost made i possible for me to play again. One of the disappointing things I discovered as an adult collector is that I know longer had the ability to play like I did as a kid. I honestly tried but I just couldn't create adventures or battles outside of a few punches or a bit of flying. But adult me, walking Burke or Verdon into the net trap flashed me back, even for a moment, when I was inside one of those imaginary worlds. I couldn't hold on to it, but it is the closest I came to time travel.
                      Watching my kid play with it was my time travel.

Comment

• Confessional
                        Maker & Whatnot
                        • Aug 8, 2012

While I occasionally set-up the other Apes playsets, I keep the Forbidden Zone on permanent display… it's special and looks awesome with either Mutants or Gorillas on the second level.

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Confessional
                          While I occasionally set-up the other Apes playsets, I keep the Forbidden Zone on permanent display… it's special and looks awesome with either Mutants or Gorillas on the second level.
                          I'm in the same boat although i don't own any mutants.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎