X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
    I wonder how you would feel if the same had happened in your country, to your people?
    I apologize if I came off as abrupt and unsensitive. I'm not always as clear as I'd like to be and it's hard to really go into detail on this sensitive of a subject without breaching the rules on religion and politics. For both good and ill, I think the Cathedral is historically and culturally significant and should be preserved. It's also one of the world's finest examples of Gothic architecture. But that doesn't mean I agree with darker aspects of it's history or that the negative parts should be forgotten.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

I hope there is a similar outpouring of charity to the people of Sri Lanka after today's tragedy.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Gorn Captain
        Invincible Ironing Man
        • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
        I apologize if I came off as abrupt and unsensitive. I'm not always as clear as I'd like to be and it's hard to really go into detail on this sensitive of a subject without breaching the rules on religion and politics. For both good and ill, I think the Cathedral is historically and culturally significant and should be preserved. It's also one of the world's finest examples of Gothic architecture. But that doesn't mean I agree with darker aspects of it's history or that the negative parts should be forgotten.
        Completely agree, and thank you for understanding my "mixed emotions" about it. Whenever I walk into a historical building, and I know what it once stood for, I have a hard time reconciling my love of architecture with my dislike of its history. I would love to visit the Pyramids, but I know I'd be thinking about how many slaves died building it. In the meantime, I can only dream of a world where we can save both people AND special buildings!
        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

A little off topic but would like to know people's opinions …

Hearing news reports about rebuilding the cathedral and how France doesn't have old growth timbers to remake the bones of it.

They said they looking at Canada and the USA to perhaps provide the wood.

I can't help but think, USE STEEL !!!!!!!!!!

Even if you glue fake veneer wood onto it

What do you guys think ?

Would you rebuild exactly as it was ?

Or update the heck out of it so it doesn't happen again ?

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

I think using different materials will likely be a must. What about using titanium and carbon fiber?

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎