• May 19, 2003

All artworks seems to be safe.
    sigpic

Comment

• danadoll
      Micronaut Nut!
      • Apr 11, 2005

Originally posted by Mikey
      Freeze a lake, fly it over and drop it from a super-huge height.

Will come down like gentle rain
      Okay, now you're just joking.
      "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by danadoll
        Okay, now you're just joking.
        he's been watching Superman 3 again

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by Hector
          All artworks seems to be safe.
          I did hear that and that's great news, along with the fact nobody died or had any serious injuries.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

It's ironic, but the donations to rebuild it are pouring in, by the millions.
            Yet, Paris has a huge homeless population and even bigger lower income class that can barely make rent because Paris is one of the most expensive cities in the world.
            I know, I have been there quite a few times, I live only a couple of hours away.

So yes, sad to see the building destroyed. But it is still only a building. I would rather see the homeless get some help. But that isn't so spectacular, right?
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
              …... I know, I have been there quite a few times, I live only a couple of hours away....
              Subject change for a second...

Does Paris really have open street urinals ?

Seems too easy for pervs to flash women and children

Besides that, it just seems yuck doing it in public for both the pee-er and the public

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

Subject change for a second...

Does Paris really have open street urinals ?

Seems too easy for pervs to flash women and children

Besides that, it just seems yuck doing it in public for both the pee-er and the public
                In Europe all "street" urinals have a shell going completely around it, so there's nothing to see (or show). Myth busted!
                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Gorn Captain

So yes, sad to see the building destroyed. But it is still only a building. I would rather see the homeless get some help. But that isn't so spectacular, right?
                  To say Notre Dame Cathedral is just a building is like saying the Mona Lisa is just a painting. The Cathedral is historically important and deserves to be preserved. But that doesn't mean other things aren't important too and we should do a better job at helping others. We should be able to do both.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                    Museum Paramedic
                    • Aug 31, 2005

^ Exactly!

- Ian
                    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Werewolf
                      To say Notre Dame Cathedral is just a building is like saying the Mona Lisa is just a painting. The Cathedral is historically important and deserves to be preserved. But that doesn't mean other things aren't important too and we should do a better job at helping others. We should be able to do both.
                      Agreed.
                      sigpic

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

Couldn't of said it better.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

I can see where Rik is coming from though

For me it's the International Space Station

It costs over 1 million dollars a day to keep 1 person up there.

Imagine trying to explain that to a desperately poor family

It's a dilemma that's inevitable for every public project, possession and goal

What is a person worth ?

There is no answer but an interesting debate

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                            HULK SMASH!
                            • Apr 3, 2010

Thankfully, the cathedral's bees survived the blaze.

Tens of thousands of bees kept in hives in Notre Dame’s roof survived the devastating fire that ripped through the cathedral.

The 180,000 bees that live in three hives in the cathedral’s roof have been discovered alive, Nicolas Geant, the monument’s beekeeper said.

"I am so relieved. I saw satellite photos that showed the three hives didn't burn. I thought they had gone with the cathedral," he said.

Mr Geant has looked after the bees since 2013, when they were installed as part of a city-wide initiative to boost declining bee numbers.

Mr Geant said the carbon dioxide in the fire's heavy smoke put the bees into a sedated state instead of killing them, adding that when bees sense fire they "gorge themselves on honey" and protect their queen. European bees never abandon their hives, he said.
                            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                              Invincible Ironing Man
                              • Feb 28, 2008

I can see where Rik is coming from though

For me it's the International Space Station

It costs over 1 million dollars a day to keep 1 person up there.

Imagine trying to explain that to a desperately poor family

It's a dilemma that's inevitable for every public project, possession and goal

What is a person worth ?

There is no answer but an interesting debate
                              That's what I meant. For me, people come first. If you can feed and house poor people, I am all for spending money on historical buildings after the first has been achieved.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                                Invincible Ironing Man
                                • Feb 28, 2008

Obviously, I need to elaborate. I live in Belgium, a country that was occupied by the French for centuries, an occupation that was a joint effort between French aristocracy and the church. We Flemish were ruled by the French, tried and convicted in French (which we didn't understand), and couldn't go to school in our own language until just decades ago. I'll agree that the building is historically significant and beautiful, but it was built by poor peasants, who were paid slave wages. So it is indeed sad that it's damaged now, but I also know fully well for which it stood in history. I wonder how you would feel if the same had happened in your country, to your people?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎