X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

I REALLY miss Toys R Us.

The selection at the Walmart here is poor and the few lines they do carry go chronically un-restocked. The SW section consists of two pegs of budget Lightsabers. So much for the claim that Walmart and Target would pick up the slack. The only thing they are interested in competing in is groceries.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Target has picked up the slack with new sections in the stores and carrying oddball/collector driven stuff like Mego and Neca
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Target seems to have gotten rid of a lot of stuff they used to have.

You can't even find a decent amount of home stereos or boom boxes to choose from.

Comment

• comicmike
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 22, 2009

Come to Canada ;-)

This is the animatronic T-Rex at the Yonge and Eglinton
        ( ' Yonge-'n-Eg ) location.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

What’s the status of the chain’s comeback in the United States?

- Ian
          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
            Moderation Engineer
            • Aug 14, 2003

I miss it too. To even see Target's full selection - which isn't what I hoped - it takes trips to four different stores for me. There's no consistency in the floorplan or the stocking - in Columbus anyway. Walmart is the same deal, although the bigger one I begrudgingly frequent destroys all of the Targets. There's no NECA at Walmart, but Target doesn't get the NECA I want either. I have Meijer and Kroger, but they just hit the high points and selection is low. The customizer in me misses the variety. It's just one more reason to be jealous of Canada - they get Celine AND TRU? Life ain't fair.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
              To even see Target's full selection - which isn't what I hoped - it takes trips to four different stores for me. There's no consistency in the floorplan or the stocking - in Columbus anyway.
              Same here. I've long heard rumors Target splits their toy cases between stores and it wouldn't surprise me if it was true.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• ODBJBG
                Permanent Member
                • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by Mikey
                Target seems to have gotten rid of a lot of stuff they used to have.

You can't even find a decent amount of home stereos or boom boxes to choose from.
                Yeah and their VHS section is almost as empty as their rotary phone selection!

Comment

• ScottA
                  Original Member
                  • Jun 25, 2001

I miss them too. Our Walmarts literally suck. They don't carry anthing. No NECA, very few Pops, no DC, minimal Marvel. I don't even waste time looking anymore.

Target is hit or miss on most anything.
                  sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                    Museum Paramedic
                    • Aug 31, 2005

So, is the plan still to bring TRU back to brick and mortar retail in the United States?

- Ian

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                      So, is the plan still to bring TRU back to brick and mortar retail in the United States?

- Ian
                      No update since Toy Fair as far as I know. Something like they'd like to open stores in the US markets. It was all pretty vague.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

I miss the CONCEPT of TRU, and going there just to look around, but honestly, the closest TRU was even worse about restocking and clearing out peg warmers than local Walmarts were/are.

Still, I would welcome it back, and support it as much as possible, if it returned.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

The TRU in my area was the only store that regularly stocked. Nothing came close to the selection and variety of toys it had. It had entire isles of just of SW and Marvel toys. The Walmart here has two pegs of lightsabers, a couple pegs of Wrestling, Turtles, budget 12 inch Super heroes and empty pegs of Transformers that go continually un-stocked.

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

We still have TRU here but it was never quite as cool as the US ones, we just don't get the variety here, even shopping for plumbing parts can be frustrating in Canada.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                              Museum Paramedic
                              • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Werewolf
                              No update since Toy Fair as far as I know. Something like they'd like to open stores in the US markets. It was all pretty vague.
                              I don’t know if that’s good news or bad news. If they don’t open stores before this Fall, I’d guess that they won’t be back, in the way they were here previously, in the foreseeable future.

- Ian

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎