X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darklord1967
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
    doesn't prove anything of the kind Andy, it proves you are hopeful to recapture the magic that the original trilogy was to our younger selves

I think therein lies the problem with many people's reactions to contemporary STAR WARS films. They are trying desperately to be made to feel the way they did when they were 10 and saw the original STAR WARS.

That's an unfair expectation.

STAR WARS at its very core is a fairy tale intended for children and adolescents... or those who are very young at heart.

If you approach it with a cynical and adult sensibility, you're probably not going to like it.
    if you approach it hoping to "...recapture the magic that the original trilogy was to our younger selves..." you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Each new generation of STAR WARS films are intended for THAT generation's children and young people. It's not intended for us 50-something year old guys who's childhood was in the late 1970s and 1980's.

I remember how "non-sensical" my 30-something year old parents thought STAR WARS was when they brought my brother and I to see it back in 1977. They were sighing and rolling their eyes through the whole thing.

I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one with that experience with older people seeing STAR WARS with me as a child.
    I... am an action figure customizer

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by darklord1967
      I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one with that experience with older people seeing STAR WARS with me as a child.
      My parents loved SW.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

Speaking for myself, I’m not trying to recreate my childhood, I’m just looking for a story that doesn’t seem like it was made up as they went along. I know Lucas made up the OT as he went along, but it was mostly his singular vision so the overall story works as three acts.

And I just want to understand how this latest trilogy went down: Disney brings on JJ to set up the trilogy by writing the first episode only? I would have assumed they would want to work out all the story beats for the entire thing beforehand, but I assume that didn’t happen as it seems Rian Johnson was given the reigns to take it in a completely different direction, with Disney’s approval and blessing I might add. Then, because fan reaction was negative toward ep 7, Disney cancels all other Star Wars plans and bring back JJ, who is now going to try to undo what’s been done? Is that it?

I work in animation. I can enjoy a well written show made for children.
        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• YoungOnce
          Career Member
          • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
          Speaking for myself, I’m not trying to recreate my childhood, I’m just looking for a story that doesn’t seem like it was made up as they went along. I know Lucas made up the OT as he went along, but it was mostly his singular vision so the overall story works as three acts.

And I just want to understand how this latest trilogy went down: Disney brings on JJ to set up the trilogy by writing the first episode only? I would have assumed they would want to work out all the story beats for the entire thing beforehand, but I assume that didn’t happen as it seems Rian Johnson was given the reigns to take it in a completely different direction, with Disney’s approval and blessing I might add. Then, because fan reaction was negative toward ep 7, Disney cancels all other Star Wars plans and bring back JJ, who is now going to try to undo what’s been done? Is that it?

I work in animation. I can enjoy a well written show made for children.
          Yeah this is kinda how I feel. I don’t think I am heaping unrealistic expectations on this sequel trilogy. Like I said in an earlier post, I’ve enjoyed all the Disney SW movies with the exception of TLJ. It just became obvious with this movie that they didn’t have a plan. And to not bring the original three together for just one fan service moment. Big missed opportunity.

Also like I said before, I did feel those 12 year-old feels on the new Shazam movie. So I guess I’m not as jaded as I could be.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

I do not hope or expect to relive my childhood. That's what DVDs of cartoons are for.

Seriously, though, I actually have incredibly low expectations for any movie or reboot. I don't expect it to be great. I just hope it doesn't totally suck.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Brue
              User without title
              • Sep 29, 2005

I have held since the first time I saw Ray that she is the twin of kylo. I do not think she is Luke's daughter. Either way it would make her a Skywalker. However, I don't think this title is referring to her. I think it is referring to Luke himself. In what fashion I don't know. I assume died and became one with the force. But the ending of The Last Jedi isn't limited to him dying. Does he become the Force ghost that brings back the Jedi? Is he cloned in some way or another? Is he alive and bringing back peace to the universe? The scenario that I do not want to happen is he becomes the new villain.

Star Wars is the greatest movie of all time. The Empire Strikes Back supplied things that surpassed Star Wars and is one of my favorites of all time. The Return of the Jedi yes a good movie with some Ewok issues. the force awakens is another one of my favorite movies of all time. I loved the Last Jedi. Rogue one was incredible. I enjoyed solo even with its issues.

I am super excited to see this movie.

Comment

• Brue
                User without title
                • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Werewolf
                I think the problem with last Jedi is Johnson threw out all the work JJ did in the previous film bringing the fun and magic back to SW. He took the story in a completely different path that was intended and set up by Force Awakens to joylessly deconstruct the myths and mythology of the SW movies and Luke Skywalker.
                I think this trilogy is a remake and an homage to the original trilogy. The second movie in the original trilogy was dark and took us away from the directions we thought it was going to go. So the Last Jedi is exactly what it was intended to be. Let's just hope the third one does not have the porgs help save the day from armor-clad Stormtroopers.

Comment

• Brue
                  User without title
                  • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Brown Bear
                  Goosebumps all the way as I’m a Luke guy and seeing the name in the title and hearing his voice throughout the trailer has me pumped it.

Any theories on who’s laughing in the darkness?
                  I am worried that it is Luke becoming the new dark emperor. I certainly hope that is not the case.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

no, that cackling is actually Palpatine. he is also returned in some way

Comment

• drquest
                      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                      • Apr 17, 2012

We'll find out that Luke is really a cloned Palpatine all of this time.
                      Danny(Drquest)
                      Captain Action HQ
                      Retro shirts and stuff
                      More retro shirts
                      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

or his illegitimate love child, LOL

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

Some are thinking the Skywalker in the title is what name they will use instead of Jedi.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                            valar morghulis
                            • Mar 8, 2005

Of course he has, because...

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

My guess is that it will be revealed that Palpantine is Anakin Skywalkers father.

Basically a rehash of Empire and Return of the Jedi with Palpantine turning good at the end.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                                Invincible Ironing Man
                                • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by YoungOnce
                                I enjoyed Solo a lot. I also enjoyed Rogue One and The Force Awakens.

I could spend pages on all the things that rubbed me wrong with TLJ, but I won't. It's all been hashed and rehashed.

I had kind of convinced myself that, at my age, I'm just not going to enjoy movies the same way that I did when I was younger. And then I saw Shazam the other day and it gave me the "nerd feels" again. So it can happen.

But back to this trailer: my first impression is that it's trying to go back and pick up some of the Star Wars fans that were disenfranchised with TLJ. Luke's narration (telling us RJ's Luke story might not be the final chapter after all), the Lando shot, the Death Star and Palpatine's laugh... all fan service for the ones who know what to look and listen for.

I read recently that JJ said that he was mindful that this "chapter" was not just wrapping up the sequel trilogy, but the entire Skywalker saga. So, since Snoke ended up being a nothing, JJ had to go somewhere to get a Big Bad with some gravitas. That makes sense. Force ghost Luke against Force ghost Palpatine? I think he has a lot to fix, but this direction has promise!
                                All of the above!!!
                                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎