X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phil
    Persistent Member
    • May 11, 2007

Question About LOST figures

I bought a bunch of the LOST figures when they went on sale to eventually use for custom fodder. I was wondering if there is an easy and safe way to remove the five o'clock shadow most of the male figures have? Or is painting over the heads the only option?
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

No, I think you should be able to remove the shading with a q-tip dipped in acetone/methyl ethyl ketone/mineral spirits.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• phil
      Persistent Member
      • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      No, I think you should be able to remove the shading with a q-tip dipped in acetone/methyl ethyl ketone/mineral spirits.
      Great! Thanks for the tip.

Comment

• scott metzger
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 9, 2007

Testor's liquid cement is also good for paint removal, and seems to avoid occasionally affecting the finish the way acetone does. I used it recently to take the lip color off Al Bundy. Just make sure to wipe it off fast and don't breath too deeply.

Comment

• phil
          Persistent Member
          • May 11, 2007

Thank you Scott.

Comment

• phil
            Persistent Member
            • May 11, 2007

Please forgive my ignorance but is all commonly available acetone the same? Is there a particular brand that works better for this sort of thing?

Comment

• scott metzger
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by phil
              Please forgive my ignorance but is all commonly available acetone the same? Is there a particular brand that works better for this sort of thing?
              Not to familiar with other types of acetone, but I usually used nail polish remover. I think it's a little milder than regular paint remover, but couldn't swear to that.

Comment

• phil
                Persistent Member
                • May 11, 2007

Thanks agan Scott. That helps.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I use "Meltonian Nu-Life Color Preparer" for shoes, which is a blend. Pure acetone is pretty strong.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• phil
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    I use "Meltonian Nu-Life Color Preparer" for shoes, which is a blend. Pure acetone is pretty strong.
                    Thank you. Could you please tell me what stores sell that?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

I've bought it from my local cobbler for about 27 years. But I couldn't find it just now on Amazon or ebay. However, a comparable product and formula on ebay is "Brillo Color Preparer", 4 oz. bottlel for about $9.

Comment

• phil
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 11, 2007

Thanks for the information.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡