X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Vintage Mego 8" Batman’s Flying Batcopter

This week we look at the amazing Flying Batcopter made in 1977 for the Mego Comic Action Heroes line, it really works and you run the risk of losing your Batman on a roof or in a tree.

However, did you know that this began life as a different toy line in a different country? That a comics legend did the box artwork? Or how about that Mego tried to sell this as a James Bond toy a couple of years later? We reveal all in this week's Vintage Mego segment!

For more information on the Comic Action Heroes line, please visit the Mego Museum gallery page:

Please subscribe to our channel for vintage toy goodness every week:
    This channel is the hub for two websites- The Megomuseum (megomuseum.com) which features the web's leading archive of toys produced by Mego Corporation. Our archive includes vintage commercials, the history of Mego reviews and "Mint Off Card" toy unboxings featuring the latest action figures by Figures Toy Company, NECA and Mego Corporation. PlaidStallions.com- The online archive devoted to 1970s culture and toys including Top Five lists, vintage toy commercials, short films about vintage toys and episodes of "Pod Stallions' the popular podcast hosted by Jason Lenzi (@bbplenzi) and PS founder Brain Heiler (@plaidstallions) Please subscribe to us, we'd subscribe to you.

Please subscribe to our channel for vintage toy goodness every week:
    This channel is the hub for two websites- The Megomuseum (megomuseum.com) which features the web's leading archive of toys produced by Mego Corporation. Our archive includes vintage commercials, the history of Mego reviews and "Mint Off Card" toy unboxings featuring the latest action figures by Figures Toy Company, NECA and Mego Corporation. PlaidStallions.com- The online archive devoted to 1970s culture and toys including Top Five lists, vintage toy commercials, short films about vintage toys and episodes of "Pod Stallions' the popular podcast hosted by Jason Lenzi (@bbplenzi) and PS founder Brain Heiler (@plaidstallions) Please subscribe to us, we'd subscribe to you.

More...
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

You know I’ve seen it in passing over a couple of decades, it until today I never realized that it actually flies! That makes it infinitely more interesting. I wish I’d had one and had one now. I loved the CAH and pocket hero lines. I would have had a lot of fun with this.

Great video!

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

I had no idea this came from Takara's side of the world. So I guess it joins the shuttles in that aspect.

I'm glad you didn't try to fly your's. I imagine it would work well, but I'd hate to pull the rip cord through that minty example and have it break apart.
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
        Permanent Member
        • Sep 15, 2014

Never had this Batcopter I don't think I even saw one in person either.

I like the beginning part about appreciation items you have in your collection. I'm guilty of looking for the next thing instead of enjoying what I did pick up over the years.

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

AND I thought this was about the bumper car-looking Batcopter when I first saw the post. I was actually looking forward to it.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Wee67
            AND I thought this was about the bumper car-looking Batcopter when I first saw the post. I was actually looking forward to it.
            Me, too. Nice to see the CAH version in action, though.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• SeattleEd
              SynthoRes Transmigrator
              • Oct 24, 2007

Great video. Tempted to seek one out now.

Comment

• ScottA
                Original Member
                • Jun 25, 2001

I have been looking for this piece for 35+ years and have never seen one in person.
                sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by ScottA
                  I have been looking for this piece for 35+ years and have never seen one in person.
                  I spoke to a collector that has three, two boxed. I think he has them all because it doesn't pop up super often.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎