X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures 16: Metal Man by Zee Toys

The subject of this weeks Toy-Ventures is one of the coolest and most underrated action figure lines of the 1970s, the "Metal Man" series by Zee Toys (AKA Zylmex).

The Metal Man line had no TV advertising, no print campaign but thanks to its excellent design and timing (arriving at the same time as the Micronauts and Star Wars) it ran well into the 1980s and never added a single figure. We discuss the line's charms and it's ongoing popularity with collectors and look at my meager collection.

If you're so inclined, we've included an eBay link so you can window shop: https://tinyurl.com/y6b8wc2a

Please subscribe to our channel on YouTube, so you can get a weekly Toy-Venture: https://www.youtube.com/user/palitoy/featuredFor more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

The astronauts always fascinated me and I had three or four. I think they did because the NASA Apollo program was still popular when these came out, even though it had already ended.

I’ve said it before, here, that I got mine in the very early 1980s at Kay-Bee toys. A next door neighbor friend appeared with his one day and I had to know where he got them. He told me and told me they were called Metal-Men. I think I may have had that NASA vehicle. If I didn’t, I know that Kay-Bee did sell them as well as some of the other Metal-Men vehicles.

- Ian
    Last edited by EmergencyIan; Apr 8, '19, 8:35 AM.
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• phil
      Persistent Member
      • May 11, 2007

I only had and Astronaut figure but I remember seeing these in stores and thinking they looked good.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

I can't wait to see this one on the TV tonight!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

Great video! I absolutely loved Metal Man. I had Corporal Chrome and Major Mercury... and I played the heck out of them until they fell apart. I liked the heft of them and they had great articulation for their time.

Comment

• Treadwell
            Museum Super Collector
            • Dec 31, 2018

Thanks for another fun and informative video!

Glossed over the "Microman tooling" a bit--just about every part of these figures are KO/recast from other companies. Which is part of the charm of course.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I really didn't know about the non-robot ones at all. I was one of those who had no idea what my "Questar" figure was called, or even what the line was called, before coming here.

Questar got a lot of use as a bad guy against my Pocket Heroes. Usually built by Lex Luthor.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• danadoll
                Micronaut Nut!
                • Apr 11, 2005

Oh no...video unavailable?
                "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

I can still see it and it's still on youtube.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎