Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which one hit wonders did you enjoy other hits of?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

Spandau Ballet "True"

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Captain Big Trousers
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 14, 2012

Even My Henchmen Think I'm Crazy.

Comment

• Captain Big Trousers
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 14, 2012

Fox is primarily known for their 1976 hit S-s-s-single Bed, but they had a few great songs.

Comment

• Captain Big Trousers
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 14, 2012

Lene Lovich (Lucky Number) had some other good songs too. This one was written by Thomas Dolby before his solo career.

Comment

• Captain Big Trousers
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 14, 2012

Shakin' Stevens (This Ole House) had a single out in 2016 that went nowhere but is actually terrific.

Comment

• jimbutsu
              Memory *is* RAM!
              • Apr 11, 2002

The stuff I like seems to do well everywhere but the states.

Madness - One hit wonder here, monster band in the UK/Europe, still active to this day.

Split Enz - I Got You did ok in the US, they're national Heroes in OZ/NZ.

Crowded House - Don't Dream it's Over did really well here, they were MASSIVE in most of the rest of the English speaking world and a lot of Europe.

Squeeze - Couple minor hits here, massive charting in the UK for much of their early years.

Probably the biggest "One-hit wonder" that I really love is Grateful Dead. The only ever had the one song ("Touch of Grey") perform on the charts.
              Still and all, I guess they did all right.
              "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• cockyhoskins
                Career Member
                • Jan 13, 2009

Originally posted by jimbutsu
                Split Enz - I Got You did ok in the US, they're national Heroes in OZ/NZ.

Crowded House - Don't Dream it's Over did really well here, they were MASSIVE in most of the rest of the English speaking world and a lot of Europe.
                I was reading through the thread about to post "Anything involving Neil Finn", and you beat me to it!

Does being in the Split Enz and Crowded House make him a two-time "one-hit wonder"? LOL

To this day, anything he does is great to me. His work with Johnny Marr was great as well. I haven't heard him in the new lineup of Fleetwood Mac yet, but I can see why they picked him to "replace" Lindsey Buckingham.

Another band someone else mentioned was the Outfield. Every track on Play Deep is incredible in my opinion.

Speaking of Johnny Marr, were the Smiths even considered a one-hit wonder in the States? I've got tickets to see Johnny in Asheville later this month. They were $30. I was stoked he was coming close by, but I couldn't find any takers to go with me. My wife is obligated to go (LOL), but none of my friends are interested in driving 45 minutes to see someone they've never heard of! SMH

When Morrissey came to the Peace Center here in Greenville, it was the same thing. Two of my brothers and our wives went, but no one else was interested in the slightest.

Comment

• cockyhoskins
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 13, 2009

Also, given my avatar, I should also mention Warren Zevon. Technically, a one hit wonder with Werewolves of London. However, he is up there as one of the greatest song writers of all time in my opinion. I saw him on his Learning to Flinch tour where it was just him, a guitar and a piano. To this day, it is maybe the greatest show I've ever seen, and I've seen hundreds of artists.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                    Permanent Member
                    • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by cockyhoskins
                    Speaking of Johnny Marr, were the Smiths even considered a one-hit wonder in the States? I've got tickets to see Johnny in Asheville later this month. They were $30. I was stoked he was coming close by, but I couldn't find any takers to go with me. My wife is obligated to go (LOL), but none of my friends are interested in driving 45 minutes to see someone they've never heard of! SMH

When Morrissey came to the Peace Center here in Greenville, it was the same thing. Two of my brothers and our wives went, but no one else was interested in the slightest.
                    No they didn't the closest they got was "How soon is now"
                    Morrissey had a top 50 hit with "The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get"

I'm surprised no one mentioned Gary Newman yet, I haven't listened to much of his stuff but Cars is an incredible track . https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldyx3KHOFXw

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎