Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unbelievable product they sell. Didn't last a whole day.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SeattleEd
    SynthoRes Transmigrator
    • Oct 24, 2007

Unbelievable product they sell. Didn't last a whole day.

Well I need to state this in hopes the FTC people still read these boards since I left Facebook.

I received my CTVT order yesterday and this item I ordered:

Well, looking at the item STILL in the re-sealable bag I noticed the Pleather was ripped and detaching from the cloth, brand new. So I was careful not to do any more damage and carefully put it on my custom figure. Well after putting it on the Pleather started to come off more on the sleeves and soom big pieces were just falling off. Not even a day old. See for yourself:

I've reached out to them yesterday in hopes of them rectifying the issue, either replace product, which might suffer the same issues as the one they sent me, or give me a refund. The latter would make sense for my situation but what I don't seem to comprehend is why ship me, let alone offer for sale a product that is beyond subparb in quality. Some of their other products are amazing and great quality which I have purchased so not putting down the company. I am hoping this gets remedied and have the product no longer offered unless they find a new source to make version in better quality.

Enough of my rant.
    Last edited by SeattleEd; Apr 6, '19, 5:40 PM.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Sadly, we aren't dealing with vintage POTA-quality pleather. I've seen this happen to Barbie clothing and my 9" Aquaman shirt as well.

I do hope, for customizers like you, that FTC can remedy this.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• JediJaida
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 14, 2008

Ugh! What horrible material!
      JediJaida

Comment

• ScottA
        Original Member
        • Jun 25, 2001

This happened when I ordered a jacket to use on my Amalgam Spider-boy custom. I emailed them and they replaced it and it has been fine since. But I try not to mess with it much.
        sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Storing cheap pleather in FLA is a bad idea. I'm sure a lot of their stuff will be the same way. I just threw out a yard of similar stuff that was in a tub for a year or so. All cracked and peeling.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• SeattleEd
            SynthoRes Transmigrator
            • Oct 24, 2007

That makes a lot of sense. Sounds like their product should be stored in a climate controlled environment. Would explain why the material once hits our cold humid environment it starts to fall apart and turn to dust, literally.

The Pleather mego suits I've ordered from Brian Leitner seem to come from an environment similar to where I live so they've held up very well. But also his Pleather quality is pretty high quality too.

This would also explain why I've seen some vintage mego Pleather and EMCE Pleather suffered the same fate.
            Originally posted by thunderbolt
            Storing cheap pleather in FLA is a bad idea. I'm sure a lot of their stuff will be the same way. I just threw out a yard of similar stuff that was in a tub for a year or so. All cracked and peeling.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

My Emce Andorian tunic seems good, but I've had some blemishes where the Emce Klingon tunic touched the package bubble.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                SynthoRes Transmigrator
                • Oct 24, 2007

I recently purchased a used EMCE Klingon tunic for a pattern and it arrived falling apart as well. Didn't care as much since I took it apart.
                This one came from New York.

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                My Emce Andorian tunic seems good, but I've had some blemishes where the Emce Klingon tunic touched the package bubble.

Comment

• Confessional
                  Maker & Whatnot
                  • Aug 8, 2012

A while back I was doing some reading trying to figure out why the vinyl used in Mego POTA clothing was resilient in so many ways, particularly after so many years. It's very easy to clean and polish to a new finish, and most paint and adhesives can be removed with no damage at all. It reminds me a lot of the upholstery vinyl my dad would use when rebuilding classic cars/hot rods in the 70's and early 80's.

There's a lot of good info out there (particularly from fabric manufacturers about different recipes used in production), but in short, the cheap pleathers (thinner, more flexible) of today are likely polyurethane based, while it's plausible that the vintage vinyl that Mego used was polyvinyl chloride based. Both are/can be harmful to the environment, but the PVC process is worse, which is a contributing factor in contemporary production.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

My stuff was climate controlled, I don't do anything about the humidity, just the heat. I imagine the FTC stuff just sits in a warehouse and bakes.

Originally posted by SeattleEd
                    That makes a lot of sense. Sounds like their product should be stored in a climate controlled environment. Would explain why the material once hits our cold humid environment it starts to fall apart and turn to dust, literally.

The Pleather mego suits I've ordered from Brian Leitner seem to come from an environment similar to where I live so they've held up very well. But also his Pleather quality is pretty high quality too.

This would also explain why I've seen some vintage mego Pleather and EMCE Pleather suffered the same fate.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• powersthatbe
                      Persistent Member
                      • Sep 27, 2010

yeah I bought a Fonzie jacket for a Jessica jones custom. had to throw it out when I got it due it's flaking.

Comment

• Brue
                        User without title
                        • Sep 29, 2005

Your thread title "Unbelievable product they sell. Didn't last a whole day." made me think it was a wonderful product and it sold out super fast.

Well I need to state this in hopes the FTC people still read these boards since I left Facebook.

I received my CTVT order yesterday ...

I've reached out to them yesterday in hopes of them rectifying the issue, either replace product, which might suffer the same issues as the one they sent me, or give me a refund. ...
                        You gave them ONE day to rectify the issue. I think I would see if they respond before complaining about them publicly.

They have had quality issues on items. But have they consistently had bad customer service? In my experience with them they have have very good customer service.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                          SynthoRes Transmigrator
                          • Oct 24, 2007

Brue,

Looks like the intentional title grabber worked but not misleading meaning it is open to interpretation.

Yes it has been one day but my post also serves as being informative of the product. As stated, I am not bashing or complaining about the company but rather the particular product being sold. Seems others have stated similar encounters with the product issue and have come forward with interesting insight on reasons why the material is falling apart.

If/when they respond and step up to rectify I will be grateful but please read my post again without any rancor or assumption as that was not the intention.
                          Plenty of good folks on this board and one of the main reasons why I left the Facebook world and came back to the boards. Much better folks here.

It is wonderful you've experienced great customer service as I've had as well in the over a decade of procuring from them. This was the first time I've had a gripe about a product where I deemed it necessary to share with other customizers. Glad I did since I did learn something new about the material.

Now I can just wait to hear from them.

Comment

• danadoll
                            Micronaut Nut!
                            • Apr 11, 2005

I bought one of those coats for a custom, they sent me two. Both coats were developing rips along the fold lines and starting to shed. I threw them out the same day I got them in the mail...I was so ****ed off.

BTW, they must know some of these products (especially the older India-made product) are crap, decaying, brittle/falling apart...why on Earth are they still selling them after probably getting complaints?

Dana
                            Last edited by danadoll; Apr 8, '19, 4:01 AM.
                            "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• scott metzger
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 9, 2007

I think this is the problem, and it's cropping up more. I ordered several of the technicolor ape uniforms, and the pleather was okay in the beginning. But the most recent order, the material was falling apart before I even put it on a figure. I think the stuff was fine when it was new, but has been stored in a hot place that is ruining the pieces. I would predict we'll be seeing even more complaints as time goes on.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎