Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

When I found out that they were doing appraising I decided not to record it. That messed up the market when shows started to do that. It got to be hard to find stuff at the garage sales/trades sales because of that. People would put mint on card/box prices on loose beat-up toys. Somebody had Mego One Million BC broken and naked and wanted $70 each for them, I just laughed.

I may give the show a chance but watch it after it records so I can fast forward through the appraising part.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Mr.Marion
      Permanent Member
      • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by monitor_ep
      When I found out that they were doing appraising I decided not to record it. That messed up the market when shows started to do that. It got to be hard to find stuff at the garage sales/trades sales because of that. People would put mint on card/box prices on loose beat-up toys. Somebody had Mego One Million BC broken and naked and wanted $70 each for them, I just laughed.
      Believe me that existed long before pawn stars. Not everyone knows what old items are worth and different brains can fathom arbitrary prices and not every dealer is looking to make money or move inventory as strange as that may seem.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
        Career Member
        • Jun 8, 2015

Originally posted by MRP
        I enjoyed seeing the stuff showcased on the shows, but I dislike collectibles shows that focus on the monetary value of stuff, so the appraising shtick doesn't appeal t me at all, and the manufactured drama of the potential trade that the show is built on I find flat and totally unappealing. I may watch episodes that feature types of stuff I am interested in, but overall I wasn't drawn in by the conceits of the show's structures. Lisa is a very personable host, and the collections are cool, but the focus on money and the manufactured drama are major turn offs for me.

-M

I agree and with HER ASKING HOW MUCH it is worth, just turns me off! Very, Very Annoying! WHO CARES! if you loves something, it is priceless!! Notice how conceited she got when ever a MICKEY MOUSE CLUB item was shown to her and she signed it, hinting it will RAISE the value!

SHEESH!!!

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Jorge Galvan
          Notice how conceited she got when ever a MICKEY MOUSE CLUB item was shown to her and she signed it, hinting it will RAISE the value!

SHEESH!!!
          I wonder though, how much of that is Lisa herself, and how much of it is dictated to her by the producers/directors/writers to play up the show's conceits and appeal to the treasure hunter nature of most collectible shows.

-M
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Dang! I somehow forgot this, even though I kept reminding myself to watch it at 10 PM.

I'll have to watch it this week! I get it on my antennae box, so I can't DVR it. Bummer.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

you can watch it on the Metv website, i did last night.

I didn't mind it, as a lover of Mad Monster Party it was a treat to see Rick's collection. There is a little forced tension with the trade which is silly but meh, they wanted a hook.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^Oh good to know, thanks. I'll watch it tonight.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎