X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by palitoy
    I came across two former TV Shazam actors on Facebook recently, they were not big fans of this treatment. So I'm not surprised there were no cameos.
    It would have been easy to do. Just have Michael Gray negotiating to buy an RV from Jackson Bostwick then have John Davey tap him on shoulder and say "I've got it from here."

Comment

• YoungOnce
      Career Member
      • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
      It would have been easy to do. Just have Michael Gray negotiating to buy an RV from Jackson Bostwick then have John Davey tap him on shoulder and say "I've got it from here."
      Perfect!

Comment

• Brue
        User without title
        • Sep 29, 2005

I loved the SHAZAM show in the 70's. I loved Cap Marvel's interaction in the DC universe in the 70's and 80s in comics when I was reading. I loved his early tales when I went back and read them in the 90's. I loved animated versions of him. I even loved his part in the Legends of the Superheroes special. He part in Kingdom Come is what blew my mind. I even liked the Captain Marvel serial (except the scene where he for some unknown reason gunned down some bad guys)

I have not read comics with in him in for 20 years or more. I did not know until a month ago that DC dropped the Captain Marvel name. I was not excited to see the new movie.

I loved it. Definitely fun with lots of stuff for every body.

The only thing I didn't care for was that they amalgamated to of his main enemies. Gave the name on ad look of one bad guy, but the back story and powers of another.

Comment

• Brue
          User without title
          • Sep 29, 2005

Did I miss cameos from Either 70's Marvel or Michael Gray? I see above others didn't find them. More importantly - no Winebago. I was looking. But maybe I missed it?

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

^That's John's glib reworking of Sivana. But the Sivana we see at the end is moving towards a more classic version and we had a flashback of Black Adam in the film.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Brue
              User without title
              • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
              ^That's John's glib reworking of Sivana. But the Sivana we see at the end is moving towards a more classic version and we had a flashback of Black Adam in the film.
              I thought the gold explanation from the wizard might have been Adam. When I saw it I assumed that was a set up for SHAZAM 2, but then as the film went on, I thought it was just a way of eliminating the character.

Even if the character in the movie was Gib's rewrite - the rewrite is an amalgam

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                To Fear is Not Logical...
                • Feb 17, 2008

My whole family loved the movie!

Spoiler:

I'm just giddy that a certain, really-small, evil character has screen time.
                It's all good!

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Shazam!” which made $17 million in its third weekend to push its domestic total to $121 million and its global total to over $300 million.

That’s a tad disappointing.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

especially considering End Game is out this week and that will crush everything at the box office for the next few weeks

Comment

• comicmike
                      Persistent Member
                      • Sep 22, 2009

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Hector
                        Shazam!” which made $17 million in its third weekend to push its domestic total to $121 million and its global total to over $300 million.

yeah you look at JL's box office domestic theatre take and it is so far lagging behind. JL hit 229 million domestic in theatres.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Brue
                          User without title
                          • Sep 29, 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                          yeah you look at JL's box office domestic theatre take and it is so far lagging behind. JL hit 229 million domestic in theatres.
                          Did it cost the same amount to make and market as JL?

I think it has done well for a B lister hero. (B is maybe generous for younger generations)

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

ok, then to compare it to a similar movie budget wise, Aquaman did over double what Shazam has brought in so far. The movie has overtaken its budget by quite a bit so its not a dud, just not keeping pace with other DC films from this cycle. I assume it will catch JL.
                            Originally posted by Brue
                            Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post

Did it cost the same amount to make and market as JL?

I think it has done well for a B lister hero. (B is maybe generous for younger generations)
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Random Axe
                              The Voice of Reason
                              • Apr 16, 2008

I didn't research, but if they had similar budgets they certainly didn't use them anywhere close to the same way. Aquaman was a heavy CGI/action film and Shazam seemed like a John Hughes superhero movie. I really liked both but I think that lack of true action, a bankable star and the introduction of a new character slowed the ticket sales. They probably should have moved up the release date a few weeks prior to Endgame. I think they would have had a similar issue if they had released Aquaman prior to his inclusion in JL. I know they have planned a Black Adam standalone film, but they should re-think that approach and have balls to the walls action in the Shazam follow-up movie with him in there. I doubt they can wait five years for a sequel.
                              I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎