X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mego maniac mark
    Career Member
    • Aug 3, 2010

Shazam!

I just saw it in IMAX, and loved it. Fun movie, the way they should be.I highly recommend to everyone.
    mego's befo ho's
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I'm seeing it tomorrow in 2D. I like Zach Levi and I'm expecting to enjoy it.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 20, 2011

MIB41 and I are going to see it in IMAX tomorrow. From what I'm hearing, it should be a good, fun appetizer prior to the huge meal that will be ENDGAME.
      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

i was skeptical during the first hout but it totally won me over, it's a lot of fun and plenty of easter eggs. I can't believe i saw certain characters on the big screen.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

What a blast. The entire audience was laughing and having a good time. Like Brian said, a ton of Easter Eggs if you know the comics, but also very accessible to folks who don't know anything about the character.

I expected to like it, but it far exceeded my family's expectations.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
            Museum Correspondent
            • Apr 2, 2002

It took me a little bit to adjust to the actors playing Billy and Freddie. They weren't bad, mind you, I just felt their jokes felt just slightly off. About 30 minutes in, I was fully on board. It was a lot of fun. Zachary Levi was perfect for this version of Shazam. I got a kick out of them giving him several names through the movie. It felt like a fun nod to the whole Captain Marvel/Shazam confusion.

There was one thing that bothered only me- I kept looking at the background, hoping to see my beloved hometown but it was quickly apparent this was not shot in Philadelphia. Were our Torontotonians here equally distracted?
            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Wee67
              I\

There was one thing that bothered only me- I kept looking at the background, hoping to see my beloved hometown but it was quickly apparent this was not shot in Philadelphia. Were our Torontotonians here equally distracted?
              That happens all the time in movies. Not only cities, but specific location landmark structures too. As an example, I lost count how many times the Bay Bridge Route has been depicted backwards...San Francisco to Oakland, then Oakland to San Francisco...it has been happening over and over ever since The Graduate in 1967, lol. Or how about a Country/western bar-club smack middle of San Francisco's Mission District like depicted in 48 Hours with Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte? No such bar/club has ever existed there, lol.
              Last edited by Hector; Apr 6, '19, 1:47 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I expected to enjoy this movie though wary of some baggage. But I really liked it, and the audience was on-board. I was pleasantly surprised.

The Easter Eggs were fantastic! Credits sequences-- The casting of Levi and Strong was good. I did not find the Johns storyline elements too jarring. The Sivana backtsory engaged me, and the plot leaves room for him to grow towards "The World's Wickedest Scientist." There was an Alex Ross vibe in one scene, and it made me think we might see one of Sivana's signature abilities in a sequel. I would have loved to see one shot of Sivana in a white smock at his think-tank.

Billy/Shazam had a decent--not great--character arc. It was fun, certainly. An as an adoptee, I thought some moments of the film were poignant. The actor playing Billy was a little flat to me and definitely too old (esp. considering sequels). To me, Billy is around 12. The actors playing Freddy and Darla were good.

One complaint: Why PG-13, and why the need for language and gestures to support that rating? Gore was conspicuously absent, but I felt the film could have edited language and gestures for a PG rating and still have been accessible and fun.
                Last edited by PNGwynne; Apr 8, '19, 6:00 PM.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                  One complaint: Why PG-13, and why the need for language and gestures to support that rating? Gore was conspicuously absent, but I felt the film could have edited language and gestures for a PG rating and still have been accessible and fun.
                  Because PG-13 rules the box office as far as live action movies are concerned...it’s about the mighty dollar.

Besides, all present day kids talk like that nowadays anyway, lol...
                  sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

My niece doesn't. I'm no Pollyanna prude, I found it unnecessary and off-putting. At times it was jarring and undercut the scene.

I do see your point about PG-13, though. I guess I feel they put that stuff in to specifically reach for the "13."

Comment

• ODBJBG
                      Permanent Member
                      • May 15, 2009

I thought the tone was just right. Kids hear/see that stuff everywhere. Unless you keep your kids locked in a barn, they'll hear as much language as was in this film anytime they are in public. IMO.

Great movie, probably the best DC has done. As much as I liked Wonder Woman, that was a Steve Trevor movie, but this felt like a good Captain Marvel/Shazam experience.

I've never been a huge fan of the Marvel family (just kinda cheapens Shazam IMO) but I thought it was pretty well done all things considered. Plus my favorite DC villain got some screen time.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

My niece doesn't. I'm no Pollyanna prude, I found it unnecessary and off-putting. At times it was jarring and undercut the scene.

I do see your point about PG-13, though. I guess I feel they put that stuff in to specifically reach for the "13."
                        I felt it more in place than in Green Lantern, which opens with Hal swearing while driving. I didn't understand the point of that, Billy and Freddy are teens that are close in age to my kids, so they do swear and give the finger.

My kids are older and likely heard worse from me while driving them there but if they were younger I'd probably feel the same way about it, this movie was definitely geared for kids so I get what you are saying, it didn't need to be there.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
                          Persistent Member
                          • Feb 18, 2007

Saw it with my wife, sister, and brother in law last night. Was looking forward to this movie for a while. Shazam was my first MEGO. The movie was fun and light hearted with good messages. This is the superhero movie I want to take my kids to. The credit animation was awesome, made me laugh out loud several times. Almost thought there might be a Ferris Bueller moment at the end ala Deadpool. I can see Shazam being DC's Deadpool, except more PG. Lotsa nods in the movie . It was fun folks, this is what super hero movies are meant to be. Have fun, go see this one.

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

I'm with you, but the reason is actually reverse psychology. If it's not rated pg-13, the 18-34 demo drops off a cliff because that contingent skews heavily single so they have a variety of options. 12-17 holds fine with PG as they're still tethered to school, family, etc...with the main competition being game consoles and mobile.

So what's the easiest way to get a PG-13? Harsh Language. For a superhero movie, it would make sense for it to be violence but then the old Temple of Doom scenario rears its ugly head.

Comment

• boss
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 18, 2003

I have a new favorite super hero movie.
                              Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎