Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the difference between a "Cornelius" and a "Galen"??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jorge Galvan
    Career Member
    • Jun 8, 2015

what is the difference between a "Cornelius" and a "Galen"??

Been looking to buy a LOOSE on on ebay, but when I google them, they seem to look the same and I know CARDED they are separate and different!

Anyone?
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

From the Galleries here on the Museum-

Because Cornelius and Galen were both portrayed by the same actor, Roddy McDowall, Mego chose to use essentially the same head for both action figures.

The costumes and shoes are also virtually identical. It is speculated that Galen received some brighter colors of vinyl (from burgundy to a near purple tone) while Cornelius tended to get a simple brown. There are even different shades of thread in the stitching of the tops.

There is no absolute way to differentiate the figures, however, since both sets of Planet of the Apes figures were released on the Mego “Type 1” body – that is, the body which used metal joints, most prominent in the wrists — AND on “Type 2”
    (plastic jointed) bodies. What does all this mean? Simply, a male Chimp on a Type 2 body is probably Galen, while a male Chimp on a Type 1 body is probably Cornelius, but it is impossible to be sure unless the figures are carded. A complete figure (Cornelius OR Galen) has green tights, a green top with vinyl details, and moccasins (of either brown or burgundy tones). There is a very rare but confirmed variation of Cornelius in an outfit made of brown fabric in place of green, but with the same vinyl details. This outfit has been found on Cornelius only, not yet on Galen.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

The fabric weave can vary from earlier Cornelius to later Galen, and my Galen seems more "green." But probably only member Confessional can tell the differences once they're off the card.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

I thought Cornelius had brown color ears and Galen had green color ears?

Comment

• ScottA
          Original Member
          • Jun 25, 2001

Originally posted by TrekStar
          I thought Cornelius had brown color ears and Galen had green color ears?
          This is the way I've always thought of them.
          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Spyweb007
            Persistent Member
            • Apr 18, 2006

I know on my childhood figures, Cornelius has brown vinyl and Galen has a more purple-ish color vinyl.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

The problem with differentiating the figures is Mego did not set out to create any, all these little ticks are just because it was a different production cycle. So yeah, fabric, paint apps etc but it's just the same doll.

By that same token, I have a sealed carded type 1 Verdon and a sealed carded type 2 Burke, which I never noticed but now kind of bothers me.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Confessional
                Maker & Whatnot
                • Aug 8, 2012

Yeah, all of those early theories regarding ears and body type have been easily dispelled with carded examples. There are some interesting differences in clothing/fabric but it's nearly impossible to validate those from one figure to another without a large carded sample population to test such a theory. Sometimes I can make an educated guess based on figures in my collection vs. where/when they came from. There's also a batch of Palitoy chimps that have a very flat head, which is fun. Best advice, just enjoy all the differences… they make for a more diverse Ape City!

However for the variant Ape chasers, there are some interesting tells/mysteries if you like the hunt…

1. You will (should) only find the (uncommon) red lined vinyl (arm rings and/or chest piece) on a T1 Cornelius. That vinyl/lining combo was only used early in the series one run. It also shows up on early Zira which makes sense. The hint of red makes for a more visually interesting Chimp.

2. Tan/Brown Cornelius [maybe Galen too, but I haven't yet seen one carded] have only been documented on T1 bodies thus far. However Brown Zira has shown up in both early and late releases, and from North American to UK releases.

3. Jester/Two-Tone outfits are likely early release Cornelius as well, but we need more documentation to be sure. It could be possible that some *kitchen-sink* Apes were released at the end of the runs too.

4. Country of origin can help you differentiate between Cornelius and Galen, as Galen wasn't released in Japan… but you're gonna pay a lot more for that Ape.
                Last edited by Confessional; Apr 5, '19, 11:14 AM. Reason: … talkin' Apes-n-morning coffee, <buzz, yum, buzz!>

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                  Career Member
                  • Jun 8, 2015

Thanks, Everyone, much Appreciated!!

Comment

• Brue
                    User without title
                    • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Jorge Galvan
                    Been looking to buy a LOOSE on on ebay, but when I google them, they seem to look the same and I know CARDED they are separate and different!

Anyone?
                    The only real difference is that one used to be on a card that said Galen, and one was on a card that said Cornelius. They are no true differences. Any differences you see could be 2 different production runs of Galens or 2 of Cornelius or 1 of each. They aren't collector recognized differences loose.

But if you carbon date them, you should be able to determine the age. Galens are newer.

Comment

• tllgn
                      Persistent Member
                      • Feb 6, 2010

Back in the day .I was really into apes still have them all.the one thing I noticed between Cornelius and Galen besides the card is that the Galen heads have shiney paint apps and the head is slightly smaller and harder.every Galen I have ever seen on card never had a brown scroll plate viynal . always burgundy.although I have seen him with brown viynal on the arms.the majority of galens were type 2 bodies .while Cornelius were majority type 1 .I have seen the Galen description I mentioned on Cornelius cards later in 1976 .so it's really a matter of close inspection using all info from the galleries and people's experience .and pics on eBay and anyone who is selling a Galen.

Comment

• tllgn
                        Persistent Member
                        • Feb 6, 2010

Also about the ears.earlier Cornelius figures had light brown ears .but in 75 a lot of corns showed up with the green ears and burgundy viynal.the head is most best way to tell.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
                          By that same token, I have a sealed carded type 1 Verdon and a sealed carded type 2 Burke, which I never noticed but now kind of bothers me.
                          I'm confused by that statement. what is it that confuses you? I have carded versions of both on T2 bodies(I think)

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

I think he's saying that he's a bit OCD that his carded Burke and Verdon don't have matching body types. And I do understand that thinking, I'd probably be the same way about it.

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Yup, pretty much.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎