Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brue Lee 1965… soft like water, faster than anyone!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

Brue Lee 1965… soft like water, faster than anyone!

A great little gem featuring Mr. Lee in 1965 talkin' kung fu philosophy and offering a TV demonstration.

Here's an interview – or maybe a screen test, as it says on YouTube – of Bruce Lee from 1965. He was 24 at the time, with intelligence, high charisma…

… "Brue!" That's MM-karma!
    Last edited by Confessional; Apr 3, '19, 2:45 PM. Reason: … <Hahaha!>
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Yeah, seen that footage a million times. Bruce Lee was unbelievably fast. He thought Westerners martial arts when it was frown upon by Chinese. He opened Jun Fan martial arts studio in my hometown of Oakland, Ca. (After moving from Washington state). One of my favorite people of all times.

Little known fact amongst casual fans...Bruce Lee’s mother was Eurasian. But reports varied as to was specific Western lineage his mother had, British or German. Contrary to popular beliefs, Lee’s parents were very well off, his father was a successful opera and film actor in China...and his mom came from an established wealthy family.
    sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
      Museum Paramedic
      • Aug 31, 2005

Oh yeah, that’s Bruce’s screen test. I’ve always enjoyed watching it.

- Ian
      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Man, that's an old interview.

Comment

• SeattleEd
          SynthoRes Transmigrator
          • Oct 24, 2007

So Hec, you are a big fan. What exactly did he did from? I recall the Chinese reporting that we died from being attacked by a large gang and died from his head injuries. I always chalked that up to Chinese pride covering up the truth. I thought it was an aneurysm that he died from. Natural causes, so to speak.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Death by misadventure!

On May 10, 1973, Lee collapsed during an automated dialogue replacement session for Enter the Dragon at Golden Harvest in Hong Kong. Suffering from seizures and headaches, he was immediately rushed to Hong Kong Baptist Hospital, where doctors diagnosed cerebral edema. They were able to reduce the swelling through the administration of mannitol. The headache and cerebral edema that occurred in his first collapse were later repeated on the day of his death.[96]

On July 20, 1973, Lee was in Hong Kong to have dinner with actor George Lazenby, with whom he intended to make a film. According to Lee's wife Linda, Lee met producer Raymond Chow at 2 p.m. at home to discuss the making of the film Game of Death. They worked until 4 p.m. and then drove together to the home of Lee's colleague Betty Ting Pei, a Taiwanese actress. The three went over the script at Ting's home, and then Chow left to attend a dinner meeting.[97][98]

Later, Lee complained of a headache, and Ting gave him the painkiller Equagesic, which contained both aspirin and the tranquilizer meprobamate. Around 7:30 p.m., he went to lie down for a nap. When Lee did not come for dinner, Chow came to the apartment, but he was unable to wake Lee up. A doctor was summoned, and spent ten minutes attempting to revive Lee before sending him by ambulance to Queen Elizabeth Hospital. Lee was declared dead on arrival, at the age of 32.[99]

There was no visible external injury; however, according to autopsy reports, Lee's brain had swollen considerably, from 1,400 to 1,575 grams (a 13% increase). The autopsy found Equagesic in his system. On October 15, 2005, Chow stated in an interview that Lee died from an allergic reaction to the tranquilizer meprobamate, the main ingredient in Equagesic, which Chow described as an ingredient commonly used in painkillers. When the doctors announced Lee's death, it was officially ruled a "death by misadventure".

Comment

• SeattleEd
              SynthoRes Transmigrator
              • Oct 24, 2007

Thanks Lonnie. Wiki is a source but learned not to depend on it as much. Rather hear from hardcore fans with better insight. But at least it was more or less natural causes. The Edema being natural and the equagesic not being natural. I just recall when he passed that it was reported it was due to head trauma from being attacked. That was word in school and in ours neighborhood.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

No foul play, that’s pure urban legend.
                sigpic

Comment

• SeattleEd
                  SynthoRes Transmigrator
                  • Oct 24, 2007

Originally posted by Hector
                  No foul play, that’s pure urban legend.
                  Indeed. I think it could be attributed to sensationalism. There was even a movie based on his life that was played by Bruce Li depicting he was attacked. Late 70's if I recall correctly.

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

I wished Bruce Li had been the one attacked, lol.
                    sigpic

Comment

• SeattleEd
                      SynthoRes Transmigrator
                      • Oct 24, 2007

ROTFL. Agreed on that one. Terrible acting.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                        Moderation Engineer
                        • Aug 14, 2003

I hope to see some Brue Lee cosplay at Mego Meet 2019

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Wow...check out Dragon of Afghanistan...

It’s a bittersweet half hour piece of a humble and nice young man trying to emulate his hero and the Islamic fundamentalists standing in his way.

He looks way more like Bruce Lee than Bruce Li ever did.
                          Last edited by Hector; Apr 4, '19, 4:58 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                            Museum Paramedic
                            • Aug 31, 2005

But, remember when his movies were the only thing we had that was even close to having a new Bruce Lee movie? They were bad movies, but I kind of have some nostalgia for them.

- Ian
                            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Brue
                              User without title
                              • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Confessional
                              A great little gem featuring Mr. Lee in 1965 talkin' kung fu philosophy and offering a TV demonstration.

Here's an interview &#8211; or maybe a screen test, as it says on YouTube &#8211; of Bruce Lee from 1965. He was 24 at the time, with intelligence, high charisma&#8230;

… "Brue!" That's MM-karma!
                              Brue. Ha!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎