Thread: Ron "The Ghoul" Sweed Dies

Images

Ron "The Ghoul" Sweed Dies

from cleveland.com

"Cleveland horror host, Ron Sweed, who rose to local TV fame with his late-night character “The Ghoul,” has died. He was 70 years old.

Sweed broke into Cleveland TV in 1971 on WKBF Channel 61. He wore a lab coat and was armed with an assortment of low-rent props, from Cheez Whiz to firecrackers to flying pierogis, kielbasa and slime. He quickly was syndicated in six other markets — Boston, Philadelphia, Detroit, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco."

I didn't grow up with The Ghoul, but I'm wondering if any of our Ohio members have fond memories of him. I also don't remember him syndicated to Philly, but that might be because he was one late. I grew up watching Dr. Shock in the afternoons on Ch. 17.

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Blog Entries
    If I recall Sweed started as an errand boy for Ghoulardi, who was a local legend and got Ernie Andersons blessing to create the Ghoul.

Images
    As a Cleveland guy, always enjoyed him, even though I’m more of a Big Choice co and Lil John guy. I remember thinking his Froggy stuff was pretty funny.

Images
    Blog Entries
    I'm sorry to hear of his passing but I was never much of a fan. His show stuck me as forced and cheap, I watched it in the '80s. I guess I enjoyed "Big Chuck and Little John" and "Superhost" more.

Edit: Wait, I just realized I"m remembering "Son of Ghoul." Was this a riff/later version/spin-off. I think the channel was 55 or 61.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Apr 3, '19 at 10:14 PM.
    WANTED:Grayson SI trousers; Dale Arden dagger; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Images
    Geez...what a bummer to hear. I loved Ron’s version of The Ghoul! I even got to meet him in person a few times back in the day. Growing up in Cuyahoga Falls, OH (suburb of Akron) he was a staple on Channel 61 (which later became Channel 55 after the station was sold). He, along with Hoolihan & Big Chuck and Superhost, was directly responsible for my love of monster and sci-if movies that has lasted well over 50 years.

I watched him here in Michigan along with Sir Graves Ghastly and Count Scary. Great times.
    Better late than never.....

I watched him on Saturday afternoons. I liked when Froggy was abused. The one thing I remember is when he had this feud with Cleveland radio host Uncle Vic. I used to love listening to Uncle Vic. They would appear on each other's show. I believe The Ghoul kidnapped one of Uncle Vic's personalities.

Super Host was my first horror host. Next was Hoolihan and Big Chuck. Big Chuck and Little John do a show on Sunday nights that show some of the skits.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear. I never saw the Ghoul. For me and my friends it was Fritz the Nite Owl.

"Fritz The Nite Owl is a movie host whose original show ran for 17 years, 7 nights a week on WBNS 10tv in Columbus, OH from 1974-1991. 6,205 consecutive broadcasts earned Fritz 5 Emmys for his performance."