X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

Any other Smallville fans here?

I never saw the first two seasons originally so it's been pretty fun to go back and watch it. I forgot how entertaining this show was.
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I watched it pretty much all the way through in its original run. It had its ups and downs, and there are few seasons toward the end that are a little lackluster, but overall I enjoyed it.

I haven't gone back to watch it in recent years, but I imagine the first few years would still hold up pretty well for me.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I was in and out with it, always tended to come in for the guest stars and such. I don't hate it by any means but I wasn't as passionate about it as some of my friends were.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• emeraldknight47
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 20, 2011

I’ve got all 10(?) seasons on DVD, but I haven’t watched them in a few years. I enjoyed the first couple of seasons probably the most (except for Clark’s soap-opera mooning over Lana). The later seasons were OK, but nothing special IMHO. The series finale, like most series finales, was underwhelming and a bit anticlimactic largely due to Tom Welling’s utter disdain for the suit.
        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• monitor_ep
          Talkative Member
          • May 11, 2013

I watched every episode when it was on and own the big collected 10 year dvd box set. For its time is was fun. Now it looks strange with the fact that when other heroes started to show up wearing costume and Clark wouldn't or wear prototype outfit. I loved the JSA/JLA crossover but hated it when they started to add in the New Gods.
          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Makernaut
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 22, 2015

Hit and miss for me, but it was an always watch from about Season 4(?) onward. I own all 10 seasons on DVD thanks to Black Friday Sales, Hastings Close Out, and gifts on various occasions. The big thing for me was that my niece became a fan and it opened things up for those moments where I could say, "Hey, that was a nod to this." End result, there's a kid (who otherwise would not have cared) that knows a heckava lot of stuff about the History of Comics because of that show.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

i loved it. as said, there were some poor seasons in there, but overall I enjoyed the show

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

My second least favorite on screen “Superman”. Not because Tom Welling didn’t have the look, he did, but his disdain to don the suit is an insult to Superman fans...that’s why he gets hate from me. But Welling is a good actor, not hating him personally...just his refusal to be Superman. I’m not interested in just a Clark Kent storyline. I did see a few episodes, not bad, but again, the whole concept of the show just annoyed me.

I said my second least favorite, because now that distinction goes to Tyler Hoechlin, Supergirl’s personal punching bag.
                sigpic

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
                  learning all the time
                  • Sep 15, 2010

I liked the show a lot even though it wasn't perfect (what is?)
                  IIRC it was designed as a 7? year arc with a "no tights/no flights" mantra where we get to see Clark (NOT kal el) be the boyscout Supes would become.
                  extending the story arc another few years at the last minute was obviously not a great success, the show spun its wheels too often toward the end while somehow also ignoring potential stories (the caves, anyone?)
                  lots of good episodes, some great ones. yes the CW teen thing with mtv style cheezy song montages were awful and the Lana thing got beaten to death.
                  but there was plenty to like about it too. tons and tons of nods that fans will enjoy. a different take on Clark's arrival, a great dynamic between Clark and Lex, stellar guest stars...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

was it really Tom Welling who did not want the suit though? I recall it was the producers who right from the get said no suit and no flying. I think Welling only did not want to wear the suit in the final episode because he was flabby and out of shape

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

the show also gave us the first live action green arrow, aquaman, cyborg, and many others

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Welling was told up front he would never have to wear the suit, because the original producers, who were let go along the way, said they didn't WANT to do the suit. Also, I seem to recall it intimated the WB wouldn't let them go full-on Superman anyway. So if you're Welling, and you're told you don't have to wear the suit, wouldn't that change things for you? It may mean the difference between being typecast for all time or not.

Also, if I take a job and they tell me "you'll never have to do A" and then at the end of the job they say "we need you to do A", well, would you want to do it?

I don't think Welling was out of shape until after the show was over. He still had plenty of shirtless scenes every season and was pretty well-ripped the whole time.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                          Permanent Member
                          • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Hector
                          My second least favorite on screen “Superman”. Not because Tom Welling didn’t have the look, he did, but his disdain to don the suit is an insult to Superman fans...that’s why he gets hate from me. But Welling is a good actor, not hating him personally...just his refusal to be Superman. I’m not interested in just a Clark Kent storyline. I did see a few episodes, not bad, but again, the whole concept of the show just annoyed me.
                          The premise of the show was it was before Clark becomes Superman. The show would end when he is Superman, obliviously by season 7 that concept wears thin. Smallville was a victim of it's own success by running as long as it did.

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Yes, agreed. I get that. But the last final episode blew it. Had Welling been an all out Superman in that last hour...that would’ve ruled. That would’ve completed the show successfully. But again, they blew it.

Gotham, which I religiously watch...has only a young Bruce Wayne, but they promised the entire last episode will feature Batman. No 30 second long shot of him...a full hour of Batman. That’s gonna rule.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Having said that..I’d rather watch 10 years worth of Smallville than one second of the weakling referred to as Superman in that horrendous crappy Supergirl show, good gawd...they just poop on Supes left and right...sad and pathetic.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎