X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Brightburn

I don't think I saw this posted, James Gunn produced horror movie origin story that will look really familiar to everyone
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Hope there is some bald superscientist or a orphaned kid in the big city.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

looks like an interesting twist on a familiar story

Comment

• Random Axe
        The Voice of Reason
        • Apr 16, 2008

I think this looks fantastic. It's an obvious nod to another character but this is also borrowed from Mark Waid's Irredemable where the best known and most powerful hero snaps and becomes the most terrifying villain. This appears to be a nice mixing of the two.
        I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Random Axe
          I think this looks fantastic. It's an obvious nod to another character but this is also borrowed from Mark Waid's Irredemable where the best known and most powerful hero snaps and becomes the most terrifying villain. This appears to be a nice mixing of the two.
          Which also happened in Injustice. I like this take better since its a different take than those two stories. The Kid of Steel here is very unstable.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I'll be honest, I don't really like that they are being this obvious with the Superman connections, especially to the first film. It seems poor Superman can't catch a break. His own studio/parent company undermines him enough and portrays him as villainous or inept without needing some other folks doing it.

That said, it does look well done. I just don't think I'm going to like it further putting Superman in the hole. He deserves better.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                I'll be honest, I don't really like that they are being this obvious with the Superman connections, especially to the first film. It seems poor Superman can't catch a break. His own studio/parent company undermines him enough and portrays him as villainous or inept without needing some other folks doing it.

That said, it does look well done. I just don't think I'm going to like it further putting Superman in the hole. He deserves better.

Chris
                That was my take as well, Chris. So there's no way legally this story can be what the trailer says. WB could stop it cold. Gunn could argue parody, but that would still put the release in injunction.

I'm guessing there's a huge third-act reveal, like it's the kid's fantasies he's been drawing.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I'm simultaneously fascinated and disgusted by this. It's frankly more graphic than I generally prefer in a film.

And I agree with you, Chris.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

I'm not really interested in "Dark Superhero" stuff anymore.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

^Speaking of...has anyone read Snyder's BvS/JL quotes. Good Lord, he really was just as fundamentally wrong for DC as Shumacher was just in the opposite direction.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

you know Snyder's siting around somewhere kicking himself for not thinking of this. That guy lost me when Superman blasted the terrorist guy thru a wall, topped off by all the Batman murders.

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

Snyder

“The original Justice League that Chris [Terrio] and I wrote, we didn’t even shoot. The actual idea, the hard, hard idea, the scary idea, we never filmed because the studio was like ‘That’s crazy.’ When this movie came out, understand that Chris Terrio and I had finished the script to Justice League before Batman v Superman came out. Some people didn’t like the movie. A vocal minority. So they said ‘There’s a lot of stuff we don’t want you to do,’ so we did a rewrite from that script. We were really nervous after the response.

The truth is that, the Knightmare sequence in this movie was always my idea that all of that would eventually be explained and we end up in a distant future, where Darkseid has taken over Earth…[and] a few members of the Justice League that had survived in that world…were fighting.”
                          IOW, he wanted to make Injustice: The Movie but market it as Justice League.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

IOW, he wanted to make Injustice: The Movie but market it as Justice League.
                            Exactly. He would have beaten Brightburn to the punch of totally defamating Superman. Why would WB ever even entertain this?

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                              Exactly. He would have beaten Brightburn to the punch of totally defamating Superman. Why would WB ever even entertain this?

Chris
                              It's a book that would've been written twenty years ago, but not today.

Basically, Tull/Legendary and Robinov/WB had a tug o'war over who was responsible for Nolan/Batman. Tull wanted to acquire DC from WB, or at least the media rights, which would effectively reduce WB to a distributor. Snyder was coveted by WB due to 300, but Watchmen was such a legal mess, he felt he got undercut so he focused on his own projects which went nowhere. Goyer/Nolan/Tull approached him about Superman and he agreed because Legendary was the producer. WB wanted him in-house so they were on board. As MoS implodes, Tull and Robinov both get swept out leaving Snyder with creative direction. The guy who took over TW, Tsujihara, and the two who he put in charge of WB knew the company was on thin ice and alot rested on Justice League. Snyder went full ego, made a giant mess, and it pretty much cost everyone their jobs.

If Tull and Robinov could have worked together, Snyder would have been a director only with no major script control. Once Goyer got sidelined in the writing process it was well doomed.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎