Thread: The Expanse

Images

The Expanse

I ignored this show its first couple seasons on SyFy (and never read the books), but after hearing rave reviews and seeing it available to stream on Amazon Prime, I gave it a shot..

Took me awhile to get into S1, but then it really hooked me. Great cast and writing, fantastic SFX..

The show was cancelled by SyFy after S3, but thanks to a strong fan campaign, Prime picked it up exclusively and just wrapped filming S4, which will debut later this year..

Can't wait!

S1 trailer:

I watched season 1 and 2 and really liked the show. I am behind on my DVR viewing and am only a couple episodes into season 3, but this was a book series I got turned on to by a recommendation by Warren Ellis in his newsletter. I've only read the first book (just before season 1 debuted) but I really am intrigued by the whole premise and execution so far. I was glad to hear Prime picked it up for season 4.

-M

Images
    In many ways, it is “Game of Thrines in space” (Ty, one of the book series authors, was actually GRRM’s assistant) so this series has been totally up my alley. Great characters and really well made show.

It also should be pointed out that the SyFy cancellation had nothing to do with ratings but rather the nature of SyFy’s deal... I believe they had the original broadcast rights, but not the streaming/distribution rights. A show like this is too expensive for that to make sense. Amazon will be a better home for it anyways, and I think it fill find a new audience with binge viewers.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sprytel View Post
    It also should be pointed out that the SyFy cancellation had nothing to do with ratings but rather the nature of SyFy’s deal... I believe they had the original broadcast rights, but not the streaming/distribution rights. A show like this is too expensive for that to make sense. Amazon will be a better home for it anyways, and I think it fill find a new audience with binge viewers.

This video spells out the why and how the show was cancelled and saved.. (note that there's a brief bit of adult language at 4:54)

^^^^^ I LOVE HER!!! Cara Gee aka Camina Drummer is my favorite character. She’s tough, cute, quirky...and that accent of hers (not her real one) is so darn adorable, ha. I also like tough guy Amos Burton and baddarze Bobbie Draper. And of course Thomas Jayne as Joe Miller as well. Foul-mouthed Shohreh Aghdashloo/Chrisjen Avasarala, an actress with gravitas, always commands attention.

Wow, I just binged-watched all 3 seasons...this is without a doubt, one of the best all time science-fiction shows ever!!!

I had refused to watch since its inception because of SyFy’s history of cheap productions. But not this one, it’s big-budget and amazing. A great acting ensemble as well. Once I did...I was immediately hooked. Now that season 4 was produced by Amazon (season 5 too), they are going for all the bells and whistles.

Rotten Tomatoes ratings are right on the money:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_expanse

The first season is actually the weakest entry (maybe a bit too much detective storyline), but still very good. Season 2 and 3 are amazing.

I’m shocked this show has grabbed little attention here...it’s a friggin awesome show.

A must watch if you dig Sci-Fi...
    Last edited by Hector; Dec 5, '19 at 4:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sprytel View Post
    ...and I think it fill find a new audience with binge viewers.
    Guilty as charged!

Images
    I'm enjoying the show as well!

I'm to season three now and waited to watch until I finished the books. The past several months I went though all 8 books via audiobooks. Book 9 isn't released yet, next year I think it comes out. It's a great book series and the TV series is pretty awesome as well. I'd highly recommend giving the books a go as well.

Images
    I felt like this was a show I should be watching. I never have. I even have Prime. The universe gave me signals. I was offered the first 5 books for free at work. I was given a free scale model of the ship Rocinanthe in a lot crate. I still haven't. I don't even know why honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Megotastrophe View Post
    I felt like this was a show I should be watching. I never have. I even have Prime. The universe gave me signals. I was offered the first 5 books for free at work. I was given a free scale model of the ship Rocinanthe in a lot crate. I still haven't. I don't even know why honestly.
    I felt the same way. Took me a long time before deciding on finally watching it. But once I did, man, I was hooked.

Season 1 is great, but season 2 and on are even better.

Fantastic show that shows technology ahead of present day, but much less advanced then Star Trek. I like how it’s set. Humanity that can settle and travel throughout the Solar System, but not beyond that...they have limitations. No extraterrestrial encounters as of yet. Mankind has split into three different factions...Earth, Mars...and the Asteroid Belt. Love the politics. Love how they try to stay within science and logic as possible.

I started season 1 two weeks ago...just finished watching season 4...
    Last edited by Hector; Dec 16, '19 at 1:56 AM.