Thread: The Expanse

Images

The Expanse

I ignored this show its first couple seasons on SyFy (and never read the books), but after hearing rave reviews and seeing it available to stream on Amazon Prime, I gave it a shot..

Took me awhile to get into S1, but then it really hooked me. Great cast and writing, fantastic SFX..

The show was cancelled by SyFy after S3, but thanks to a strong fan campaign, Prime picked it up exclusively and just wrapped filming S4, which will debut later this year..

Can't wait!

S1 trailer:

I watched season 1 and 2 and really liked the show. I am behind on my DVR viewing and am only a couple episodes into season 3, but this was a book series I got turned on to by a recommendation by Warren Ellis in his newsletter. I've only read the first book (just before season 1 debuted) but I really am intrigued by the whole premise and execution so far. I was glad to hear Prime picked it up for season 4.

-M

Images
    In many ways, it is “Game of Thrines in space” (Ty, one of the book series authors, was actually GRRM’s assistant) so this series has been totally up my alley. Great characters and really well made show.

It also should be pointed out that the SyFy cancellation had nothing to do with ratings but rather the nature of SyFy’s deal... I believe they had the original broadcast rights, but not the streaming/distribution rights. A show like this is too expensive for that to make sense. Amazon will be a better home for it anyways, and I think it fill find a new audience with binge viewers.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sprytel View Post
    It also should be pointed out that the SyFy cancellation had nothing to do with ratings but rather the nature of SyFy’s deal... I believe they had the original broadcast rights, but not the streaming/distribution rights. A show like this is too expensive for that to make sense. Amazon will be a better home for it anyways, and I think it fill find a new audience with binge viewers.

This video spells out the why and how the show was cancelled and saved.. (note that there's a brief bit of adult language at 4:54)