Great Interview with Marty Abrams

Like cereal, there are prizes inside.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

If that is a Severus Snape sculpt (shown but not commented on at about the 13 minute mark) and there is a Harry Potter line coming, my wife will be extremely happy and may wind up buying more Megos than I do.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

and a few more details around the infamous Star Wars licensing story. Nothing earth-shattering, but a little more.

I also enjoyed hearing a little more about the years right after Mego. I had thought the Mego name was sold to an investment firm and ultimately ended up with a real estate company. I was surprised to hear Marty bought all of that in bankruptcy.
      Last edited by Wee67; Mar 28, '19, 11:47 AM.
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

Fun/interesting… at peak, 30 days to production, 90-120 to retail. Wow, that's Las Vegas speed!

Oh, and Thank you Target! Lots of folks seem to have a sour gripe about how things played out, but Marty made it clear; they were the key to his Doc-Mego-primed-engine. Pretty cool story and the result benefits us all for months to come.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

That was really good.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• kisscash
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 7, 2006

Thank you for sharing this. Long Live Marty and Long Live MEGO!

$
            sigpic

Comment

• JediJaida
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 14, 2008

If they do have the Harry Potter license, I hope that they take it further than just the three figures that FTC produced.
              JediJaida

Comment

• MRP
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by JediJaida
                If they do have the Harry Potter license, I hope that they take it further than just the three figures that FTC produced.
                Well I don't think FTC ever did Snape and it's a Snape sculpt in the video that has people thinking Harry Potter.

-M
                "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Great interview, great Snape sculpt.

Marty is a good raconteur, he reminds me of a deft Tonight Show guest.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

I'm not too sure about the Snape sculpt. It has the old style neck attachment, so it might not be for the new Mego lines...

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

Great interview! Marty always lays it out there.

- Ian
                      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• comicmike
                        Persistent Member
                        • Sep 22, 2009

Fascinating interview. Inspirational words. Never give up. Ever.

(1.5K views & growing.)
                        Last edited by comicmike; Mar 30, '19, 2:53 PM.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

It's funny how no one ever brings up the fact that Mego came close to doing Transformers (Marty did in the interview) but all they talk about is how they didn't land Star Wars.

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                            It's funny how no one ever brings up the fact that Mego came close to doing Transformers (Marty did in the interview) but all they talk about is how they didn't land Star Wars.
                            I can't tell you how bored I am of "Star Wars put Mego out of business" narrative. It's nice to hear Marty mention the electronic games because they really hurt Mego in the long run.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Mego might have gotten use of some of the Takara molds but without Hasbro the Transformers phenomenon doesn't happen. No Hasbro means no Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Megatron, Starscream, Sunbow cartoon, etc. We would have ended up with something completely different. Hasbro wasn't even the first to import or use some of those molds and Gobots beat them to the market. But Hasbro had the right idea at the right time to turn the concept into Transformers. They had the idea to take toys from several different lines and turn it into one. Hasbro had the idea to take the transformable piloted Diaclone Battle Convoy mech and turn it into the sentient heroic living being Optimus Prime.
                              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎