X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aquatroy
    Permanent Member
    • Apr 28, 2002

Cheaper alternative to Smooth-on Silicon mold

I'm looking for cheaper alternatives to Smooth-on products. Any suggestions? Reconnendations?
    Hey! Check out the pictures.
  • Spyweb007
    Persistent Member
    • Apr 18, 2006

I have seen youtube videos where they make molds with silicon and dish soap, should be easy to find and they show the whole process.

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

It depends on what you want the shelf life of the mold to be.

brickintheyard has the most comparable products. Allumilite is the hobby choice, but not as diverse a selection.

The industrial silicone method requires a fair amount of trial/error to get the right cure time and consistency you want. I highly suggest not to do the dish soap method.

Comment

• almitysufx
        Persistent Member
        • May 27, 2004

Hobby lobby has something I've used in a pinch. Amazing Mold Rubber. it runs $19.99 plus tax but there's almost always a 40% coupon available on the website. It is enough to make 4 or 5 dixie cup size molds. top of the box says "www.moldputty.com" but on the side in small print it has Alumilite Corp.

Comment

• Type3Toys
          Home Of The Type3 Body
          • Jan 18, 2005

With the quality of your work, I would be afraid to trust the work to a cheap mold material. Too much to consider besides the quality of the mold itself. Especially if you are going to sell casts or make multiple figures. You even want to consider library life of the mold Incase you want to pour a year from now.
          LOOK
          Action Figure Design & Prototypes
          For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
          To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• aquatroy
            Permanent Member
            • Apr 28, 2002

Originally posted by Type3Toys
            With the quality of your work, I would be afraid to trust the work to a cheap mold material. Too much to consider besides the quality of the mold itself. Especially if you are going to sell casts or make multiple figures. You even want to consider library life of the mold Incase you want to pour a year from now.
            Those are all great points.
            Hey! Check out the pictures.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎