X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Vintage sci-fi paperbacks

I love vintage paperbacks, in particular sci-fi, fantasy/sword & sorcery, horror, pulp and men's adventure books. I have shelves of them, and am always on the look out for more. Cover art is a big part of the draw (especially Frazetta covers, but all kinds of genre artists are big draws for me), but I love the feel of reading paperbacks as well.

I am curious is anyone here is into the vintage paperback scene as well. I'd love to hear what people have, find and/or are looking for.

I made a Half Price Books run today, and picked up a big ole pile of vintage sci-fi (and a few horror,fantasy & 1 men's adventure) paperbacks to add to my to read list.

The haul included:

the Outlander novelization by Alan Dean Foster
    the Alien novelization by Alan Dean Foster
    Logan's Run by William F. Nolan & Clayton Johnson
    Logan's World by William F. Nolan
    Gateway by Frederik Pohl
    Han Solo and the Lost Legacy by Brian Daley
    Doctor Who and the Doomsday Weapon by Malcolm Hulke
    Perry Rhodan #17: The Venus Trap by Kurt Mahr
    Thongor Fights the Pirates of Tarakus by Lin Carter
    The Shuttered Room and other Tales by HP Lovecraft
    Robert E. Howard's Cthulhu: The Mythos & Kindred Horrors edited by David Drake
    Marchers of Valhalla by Robert E. Howard
    Worms of the Earth by Robert E. Howard
    Almuric by Robert E. Howard
    The Executioner Book 4: Miami Massacre

spring and summer reading here we come...

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • glimpy
    Loco Chango
    • Feb 5, 2012

Yes I have a Shelf full of them I used to collect about 15 years ago. I think I have every paperback sold in the back of the captain company mail orders!!!
    sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
      Talkative Member
      • May 11, 2013

I have a nice collection of them myself. I love the artwork more than the most the stories. Back during the day publishers would buy huge painting lots from not famous artist and keep them in a warehouse. Then when the bought a story they would pick out a picture that came close to the story and put them together. This happened to those non-famous writers. This is why most vintage covers really did not match what the story was about.

Now saying this you could find early works of famous Si-Fi/Fantasy artist that are worth more than the story if you do your research.
      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I've always collected TV paperbacks, mainly Sci-Fi stuff. Love them, still buy them when i see them.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mr.Marion
          Permanent Member
          • Sep 15, 2014

I got a half dozen or so of ERB and other sci-fi novels.
          But my favorite is this one. I just like the film, even if no one else does.

Comment

• rykerw1701
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 27, 2007

I just reread the original Foundation trilogy by Isaac Asimov. I've moved those same books multiple times over the course of 40 years +. I re-read the first two, then I couldn't find the third one anywhere. My OCD tendencies made me feel compelled to get another used copy with a similar cover to the first two books in the series to replace the one I lost. So I read the third one, went to put it on the bookshelf next to the other two, only to find the one I lost sitting right there exactly where I wanted to put the replacement copy, mocking me.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Was never a fan of sci-fi paperbacks except some of the James Blish Trek adaptions

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎