Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • C.H.O.A.M.
    learning all the time
    • Sep 15, 2010

I think the 3rd season is excellent so far, I'm down to the last episode.
    I also enjoyed the first 2.
    yes, it's derivative, but it wears it's intentions on its sleeve: it's supposed to be like an '80s teen horror sci fi movie, complete with annoying characters etc
    kind of a stephen king meets "the goonies"

****SPOILER****
    ****SPOILER****

the "mind flayer" is SICK!!! just an amazing visual creation, especially with the volume cranked and the subwoofer on!

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

Ok, so I eat my words. Season 3 was leaps and bounds better than S2. I really enjoyed what they did this time and no wasted episodes!! They told a great story and they actually have me looking forward to another one.
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• YoungOnce
        Career Member
        • Aug 29, 2007

One episode left for us... such a great show! I have enjoyed this season of Stranger Things more than anything I've seen this year, and that includes Endgame. For me, it's note perfect with the nostalgia vibes.

Great music. Great nods to the story beats of the movies of the 80's. And the nod to the "New Coke"? Loved it.

They made this thing for me.

Comment

• alex
          Permanent Member
          • Jun 15, 2009

Just finished this yesterday, dont U think the main russian bad guy is meant to be a nod to Arnie Schwarzenegger

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by alex
            Just finished this yesterday, dont U think the main russian bad guy is meant to be a nod to Arnie Schwarzenegger
            Yes, and yes. I actually expected to see cybernetic skull showing through his facial lacerations. His walk, his voice, the score... all channeling the T-800.

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by YoungOnce
              One episode left for us... such a great show! I have enjoyed this season of Stranger Things more than anything I've seen this year, and that includes Endgame. For me, it's note perfect with the nostalgia vibes.

Great music. Great nods to the story beats of the movies of the 80's. And the nod to the "New Coke"? Loved it.

They made this thing for me.

I agree with all you said. It just struck the right balance of fun and excitement. Anyone can enjoy this, but if you grew up in the era with a leaning toward being a Nerd, then this show is for you.

What I like about the storytelling is the characters do what you want to see them do. That's not to say there aren't surprises, but this seems written with the intention to delight audiences, and not necessarily challenge them. For some people, that's cliched or predictable or fan service, but it all seems to work here for me. I won't spoil it, but the climactic end scene just had me howling with delight and giddy laughter.

The color palette of 3 is just off the charts. Everyone who bought a 4K TV on Black Friday is being rewarded.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

I loved it. These kids are the age I was in the years this takes place. This was totally me, without the D& D as I never got into that, LOL

Comment

• ODBJBG
                  Permanent Member
                  • May 15, 2009

Definitely enjoyed it. There were parts of Season 2 that were better, but this was a more solid season overall.

Comment

• B-Lister
                    Eccentric Weirdo
                    • Mar 19, 2010

The mall set was incredible. It felt like the malls I visited as a kid. Just wish they could've expanded the set beyond the small confines, but I understand budgetary reasons. Would've loved to see stores like Spencers, B. Dalton, Hickory Farms, McCrory, etc.

There was a feeling of "rusticness" with some of those early mall chain stores. The colors, the materials used, the fonts, all evoked a nostalgia.
                    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

I have to say, I didn't enjoy it as much as the first two. It was just a bit too broad and goofy in parts. The antagonists were also VERY cartoony, and while I know that was the point, I think they leaned into it a bit too hard. I liked it overall, and the performances were great, and the kids were great as always, but I think the story was just a bit hard to swallow, and given what we've watched in previous seasons, that's saying something. It wasn't until we got toward the last two episodes that it hit me that this one was a bit more out there, partially because it was trying to ground itself a bit more in real world political intrigue, and its hard to believe four kids could keep outsmarting and escaping those guys. Monsters I can buy. They are made up.

But again, Cindy and I enjoyed it, and it had an interesting coda. Make sure you watch the last episode after the credits!

Chris

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• megoapesnut
                        The name says it all!
                        • Dec 3, 2007

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                        I'm halfway through watching Season 3 for the second time. Something that I didn't put together until I watched one of the episodes again is that The Duffer Bros. must be big fans of "FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH" since there are several references to the movie throughout the season and even a bit of an homage as Steve "The Hair" Harrington ditched his "Scoops Ahoy" sailor hat ala Brad Hamilton casting aside his pirate hat because it was making him look foolish. It's all these little touches that make me love STRANGER THINGS so much....
                        I agree! My wife and I were commenting the whole time we watched on how much we saw "Fast Times" in the show. We had just rewatched it recently as our daughter had never seen it

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                          valar morghulis
                          • Mar 8, 2005

I liked S3 better than S2, but really neither stacks up to the brilliance of the original season. And after S3 I definitely have nosebleed fatigue

Best part of this season was the addition of "Scoops Ahoy" Robin to the cast, who's the daughter of Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke..

Comment

• YoungOnce
                            Career Member
                            • Aug 29, 2007

Yeah, I think maybe not being so dark and serious is why I might have liked this season better. But that's just different strokes for different folks.

The dark DC universe is not the "in" thing right now; the light fare of Marvel is ruling the day. But tides turn and tastes ebb and flow.

Next season could return to more brooding and menace. And yes! The Scoops Ahoy storyline was probably my favorite this year.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

I really enjoyed Robin in this season. Interesting turn with her character too. I didn't see that coming, but it didn't seem forced or out of left field. She was great.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                                Talkative Member
                                • Jun 20, 2011

Aside from Max, Robin is my favorite new addition to the show's cast. But man, you've gotta have a little sympathy for poor Steve Harrington; first he loses the girl to the town introvert, and then he finds out the new girl he likes is playing for the other team!
                                sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎