X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • filmation batman fan
    The Man of Many Voices
    • Aug 30, 2005

Shazam/Captain Marvel Name Question

I have a question regarding the Shazam/Marvel Family. Since Captain Marvel is now officially the name of the Marvel Comics hero/heroine, I know that Billy Batson is officially called Shazam, like the Wizard, but what would Mary Batson and Freddy Freeman be called now when they become their alter egos? I was used to Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel Jr. But my question is, what would they be called now? Or do they even exist in today's comics? Shazam is a title that I do not follow. Inquiring mind wants to know.
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

I think they are in the movie so we should have definitive answers soon. More importantly...Captain Marvel said Shazam to change.. but CM Jr always said Captain Marvel to change. How does that work now?

Comment

• LordMudd
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 22, 2011

There is a review video on youtube of the 6 Mattel Marvel family action figures. (I was not all that impressed by the reviewer.) It named all 6 characters, but I don't recall their names.

CCC.

Comment

• Brue
        User without title
        • Sep 29, 2005

Shazam is not Billy's official name. The comic is called that because of years of legal disputes. Captain Marvel first appeared in whiz comics. The owners of Superman successfully sued with comics for copyright infringement. Then sat on the character long enough that Marvel Comics created Captain Marvel before DC licensed the name. In a settlement with Marvel Comics both Marvel and DC could have a character named Captain Marvel, but DC could not have a comic book called Captain Marvel. So the comic is titled Shazam.

In the comics he is called Captain Marvel. Mary is called Mary Marvel, and Junior it's called Captain Marvel Jr
        Last edited by Brue; Mar 27, '19, 1:13 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

^I'm pretty sure that changed in the New52, and Cap is now "Shazam." I'm not sure about the adjunct characters like Freddy and Mary. Marvel's Captain Marvel has effectively scuttled that name, but I'll never give it up.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• knight errant00
            8 Inch Action Figure
            • Nov 15, 2005

^^Yeah, Cap became Shazam when he got the hooded cape.

Comment

• Brue
              User without title
              • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
              ^I'm pretty sure that changed in the New52, and Cap is now "Shazam." I'm not sure about the adjunct characters like Freddy and Mary. Marvel's Captain Marvel has effectively scuttled that name, but I'll never give it up.
              OK - so I am guilty of not reading much DC starting with the onset of the new 52. Is his name actually Shazam? Or is the name Captain Marvel used less? I can't believe this. I need citations.

Comment

• Brue
                User without title
                • Sep 29, 2005

Ouch

I just read the Wiki article:

"The New 52 relaunch

In 2011, DC Comics relaunched their entire comic book lineup, creating The New 52 lineup of comics. The revamp began with a seven-issue miniseries, Flashpoint, which features an alternate timeline in which Billy Batson, Mary Batson, and Freddy Freeman are joined by three new kids, Eugene Choi, Pedro Peña, and Darla Dudley, as the "S! H! A! Z! A! M! Family." In this concept, all six kids say "Shazam!" in unison to become an alternate version of Captain Marvel named Captain Thunder.[56] While the continuity would be altered again by the conclusion of the story, creating the "New 52" multiverse, the three new Shazam! kids would be reintroduced for later appearances.[57]

One of these relaunched series, Justice League, began featuring a Shazam! backup story with issue #7 in March 2012.[58] The feature, written by Geoff Johns and drawn by Gary Frank, introduces Billy Batson and his supporting cast into the new DC Universe. As part of the redesign, Captain Marvel received a new costume designed by Frank with a long cloak and hood.[59] Johns noted that the character's place in the world will be "far more rooted in fantasy and magic than it ever was before".[60] The character also was officially renamed "Shazam" at this time.[7] The Shazam! origin story, which included two full issues in Justice League #0 (2012) and #21 (2013), reintroduced Billy Batson/Shazam, the Wizard, Black Adam, Tawny the tiger, and the Shazam Family (Freddy, Mary, Darla, Eugene, and Pedro) to continuity. The Shazam! feature concluded with Justice League #21, preceding DC's crossover storyline "Trinity War" which heavily features the Shazam mythos.

Johns and Frank's reboot was met with both acclaim and criticism,[61][62] and the renaming of the hero as Shazam brought mixed reactions.[63][64] Johns noted that the change was made "because that's what everyone thinks his name is anyway," due to the inability to use the "Captain Marvel" moniker on comic book covers and merchandise.[7]"

Comment

• Brue
                  User without title
                  • Sep 29, 2005

Follow up question -

Is the New 52 multiverse the only current DC universe? I thought the New 52 was intended to replace the DC universe, but didn't go as well as planned.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Phooey on Geoff Johns. I'll take Ordway.
                    Last edited by PNGwynne; Mar 28, '19, 10:21 PM.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

The New52 has been replaced with "mainstreamed" Rebirth, enabled by Dr. Manhattan. But the only DC comic I read is Aquaman, so IDK what's up with Shazam! now. Doc Shaner did some fantastic traditional Capt. Marvel stuff for Convergence, which was the transitional miniseries bridging New52 to Rebirth.

The movie is obviously strongly, if not exclusively, based in Johns' reworking. It's a Shazam! movie, of course I'll see it--but it's "Elseworlds" to me.
                      Last edited by PNGwynne; Mar 28, '19, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• Brue
                        User without title
                        • Sep 29, 2005

The New52 has been replaced with "mainstreamed" Rebirth, enabled by Dr. Manhattan. But the only DC comic I read is Aquaman, so IDK what's up with Shazam! now. Doc Shaner did some fantastic traditional Capt. Marvel stuff for Convergence, which was the transitional miniseries bridging New52 to Rebirth.

The movie is obviously strongly, if not exclusively, based in Johns' reworking. It's a Shazam! movie, of course I'll see it--but it's "Elseworlds" to me.
                        Dr. manhattan -of Watchmen? I know Watchmen is DC (vertigo) but is it / was it ever part of the DC universe?

-Elseworlds is the way I view all movie versions of my favorite Super Hero's. The further from "my" version of how I remember characters the more important it is.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

To Alan Moore's chagrin, Watchmen is now part of the DC Universe.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

To Alan Moore's chagrin, Watchmen is now part of the DC Universe.
                            Yeah, I am sure he's chagrining all the way to the bank.
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• sprytel
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                              Yeah, I am sure he's chagrining all the way to the bank.
                              Have you ever seen an interview with Alan Moore?!?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎