X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darklord1967
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 27, 2008

Preliminary CATWOMAN Complete

The head sculpt I’ve developed for CATWOMAN is almost complete now.

In another 3 or 4 days she will be ready for final molding and casting along with the custom legs I developed for my (Zica Yvonne based) 9Art “Athletic Female” body.

I placed the developing head sculpt on the 9Art female body to check on the overall anatomical proportion. I was reasonably pleased with the final combination...

I... am an action figure customizer
  • boss
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 18, 2003

Looking good. I think a little thicker thigh would help.
    Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• comicmike
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 22, 2009

I have always loved Catwoman. She is definitely my favourite Batman villain. I love how you captured her head and face. I may be picking up a hint of Alan Davis art. It's beautiful. I am curious if you were inspired by a particular Batman artist, or comic run/ time frame.
      Last edited by comicmike; Mar 20, '19, 6:04 AM.

Comment

• JediJaida
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 14, 2008

I agree; a smidge more thickness to the thighs will balance her out better.

The sculpt is absolutely gorgeous and I hope you make these available for sale.
        JediJaida

Comment

• megowgsh
          Customego HoF Curator
          • Nov 19, 2003

very, very nice
          Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• darklord1967
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by comicmike
            I have always loved Catwoman. She is definitely my favourite Batman villain. I love how you captured her head and face. I may be picking up a hint of Alan Davis art. It's beautiful. I am curious if you were inspired by a particular Batman artist, or comic run/ time frame.

Well, I think you hit the nail on the head, buddy! I have ALWAYS been a HUGE fan of the early 1980’s to early 1990’s Batman comic book era. I think this time frame saw some of the most iconic, influential, and historically definitive Batman tales EVER published... really capturing the flavor, spirit, and creative intention of Bob Kane, Bill Finger, and Jerry Robinson’s Gotham City mythology creations.

This era also saw MANY of the Industry’s very best Batman mythology artists producing some of the finest, most timeless works that I continue to retro actively enjoy to this day (re: Neal Adams, Jim Aparo, Norm Breyfogle, Brian Bolland, Dave Mazzuchelli, Steve Rude, Marshall Rogers, Ed Hannigan, Graham Nolan, Don Newton, Dan Jugens, Alex Ross, Drew Struzan...).

But among these legendary names, there are TWO individuals whose artistic work holds a very special place in my heart when it comes to my favorite Batman Comic book era: Those names are (penciler) Alan Davis and (inker) Paul Neary.

Their all-too-short run on Dectective Comics in 1987 (with Mike Barr on writing chores) was an absolute love letter to the classic Golden Age of Batman storytelling and iconic visuals. There are Batman and Robin images conjured by Davis and Neary that MOST DEFINITELY influenced the style and directional thrust of my work as an action figure / diorama artist all these years later!

Their depiction of these classic Gotham City characters thrilled me thoroughly and without fail, for every single issue of their run: A supremely cheiseled grim Batman, at the physical peak of his career... Robin The Boy Wonder... unapologetically depicted as a grinning little boy imp... just as Kane, Finger, and Robinson intended... The Joker portrayed as a twisted, diabolical, cackling personality with eyes that sent shivers up my spine... absolutely BRILLIANT!

What I found equally enjoyable about Davis/ Neary/ and Barr’s run of stories on a detective Comics was how thoroughly they embraced ALL aspects of the Batman mythology’s historical tone, while blending them together seamlessly into compelling stories. I cannot remember another modern artist and writing team that so masterfully presented the Golden Age tone of FUN to the Batman stories (re: comedic puns... death traps and harrowing escapes... melodramatic narrations... Bat fights featuring giant props... psychotic villains...

COMBINED WITH...

... some of the grimmest and grittiest Dark Knight themes that were arising from the era: The Batman’s deep seated fear of Robin being brutally murdered in action actually ran as a thread throughout several issues of the Davis/ Neary/ Barr run...a full year before DC Comics published “A Death In The Family” where The Joker murdered Robin.

So yeah, Alan Davis and Paul Neary... I’d put them right up there among my top five ALL-TIME FAVORITE Batman mythology artists... and definitely inspirations for the 9Art style of custom LEGENDS OF GOTHAM CITY creations!

Comment

• Spectator
              Museum Patron
              • Feb 4, 2019

Excellent sculpt!

Comment

• darklord1967
                Persistent Member
                • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by boss
                Looking good. I think a little thicker thigh would help.

Originally posted by JediJaida
                I agree; a smidge more thickness to the thighs will balance her out better.

The sculpt is absolutely gorgeous and I hope you make these available for sale.
                I totally know what you both mean about the thighs (based on these photos). But I can tell you with full confidence that anatomically speaking she is correctly proportioned for a depiction of a slender, athletic woman.

What we have going on here is a case of two separate issues

1) wide angle lens camera distortion
                I
                And

2) apparent large head symdrome.

These two things visually work in tandem in these photos to create the illusion of slightly undersized thighs.

Here’s the thing: I am creating this custom figure as one of the few masked characters who will NOT feature a removable cowl. So I developed her head sculpt around the supposed added bulk of a cowl already in place. When a cowl-sculpted head is placed on a nude body like this, it tends to appear a bit big headed in photos... especially when photographed with a distorting wide angle lens. In person, the figure does not appear nearly as big headed... even nude.

The thigh mass as Ive created them already fills out the leg sockets of the figure’s pelvis to the MAX... and I actually opened up those pelvis leg openings quite a bit when I reshaped then with my rotary tool. And it does not exactly help that my massive stupid fingers are actually blocking some of the rounded outer curve of my newly prepared upper thighs as I hold the legs in place to take these photos.

Now... once she is dressed in the purple tights... the thick faux leather thigh-high black boots... the long cat claw gloves... etc., her body size will balance out appropriately next to her sculpted cowled head.
                Last edited by darklord1967; Jan 6, '22, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• scott metzger
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 9, 2007

Wow, that head sculpt is fantastic!

Comment

• JediJaida
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by darklord1967
                    I totally know what you both mean about the thighs (based on these photos). But I can tell you with full confidence that anatomically speaking she is correctly proportioned for a depiction of a slender, athletic woman.

What we have going on here is a case of two separate issues

1) wide angle lens camera distortion

And

2) apparent large head symdrome.

These two things visually work in tandem in these photos to create the illusion of slightly undersized thighs.

Here’s the thing: I am creating this custom figure as one of the few masked characters who will NOT feature a removable cowl. So I developed her head sculpt around the supposed added bulk of a cowl already in place. When a cowl-sculpted head is placed on a nude body like this, it tends to appear a bit big headed in photos... especially when photographed with a distorting wide angle lens. In person, the figure does not appear nearly as big headed... even nude.

The thigh mass as Ive created them already fills out the leg sockets of the figure’s pelvis to the MAX... and I actually opened up those pelvis leg openings quite a bit when I reshaped then with my rotary tool. And it does not exactly help that my massive stupid figures are actually blocking some of the rounded outer curve of my newly prepared upper thighs as I hold the legs in place to take these photos.

Now... once she is dressed in the purple tights... the thick faux leather thigh-high black boots... the long cat claw gloves... etc., her body size will balance out appropriately next to her sculpted cowled head.
                    Okay, that sounds cool. I can't wait to see how she comes out.
                    JediJaida

Comment

• comicmike
                      Persistent Member
                      • Sep 22, 2009

Originally posted by darklord1967
                      ....(penciler) Alan Davis and (inker) Paul Neary.

Their all-too-short run on Detective Comics in 1987 (with Mike Barr on writing chores) was an absolute love letter to the classic Golden Age of Batman storytelling and iconic visuals.... I’d put them right up there among my top five ALL-TIME FAVORITE Batman mythology artists... and definitely inspirations for the 9Art style of custom LEGENDS OF GOTHAM CITY creations!
                      Back in the day, those exact issues got me back to buying & collecting comics again. The art, even standing alone, was magical and unique. To my eye, your Catwoman looks like a 3D rendering of the exact art from those pages. Her physique was cut and sleek in the Davis-Neary style. Well done.

Originally posted by scott metzger
                      Wow, that head sculpt is fantastic!
                      Last edited by comicmike; Mar 20, '19, 3:05 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Excellent sculpt!
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• noelani72
                          27inaleon
                          • Jun 25, 2002

amazing!!

Comment

• TrekStar
                            Trek or Treat
                            • Jan 20, 2011

Looks great!

Comment

• SeattleEd