X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adam West
    Museum CPA
    • Apr 14, 2003

Need some advice

Here is my dilemma. I have been buying items for another collection (non MEGO or toy related) for months. They are extremely rare items and have never seen these items in my 20 years of collecting not just for sale, but didn't know they existed. He began liquidating his collection and I started purchasing them off of EBAY. I then contacted him and have spent months and a ton of money buying out most of his collection. He has a no haggle policy and take it or leave it with price. I have been paying above what he would probably sell them for on EBAY in exchange for not even having to compete against anyone.

There was one incident prior where he agreed to sell me an item; I paid for it and he refunded the money telling me he wasn't ready to part with it yet (this was at a point when he was only selling off certain pieces and not his entire collection). I told him that if he sold it to me and had seller's remorse; I would sell it back to him shortly after if he was still experiencing the remorse. He did sell it to me and although said he missed it; he knew it was going to go to good home. He also purchased it through a connection and asked if it would be ok if I kept the purchasing to myself because he didn't want his connection to be upset that he was selling it which I agreed to do.

He finally decided to sell his entire collection and because I had bought the vast majority of his collection; I was to get first dibs on everything else again no haggling. We got to a point where there were 4 items that I wanted and it would have only left him with 7 items to sell before it was entirely liquidated. He placed one of the items up on EBAY without saying a word to me. He was offering it for less than what he wanted me to pay for it. I contacted him and asked if I could buy it, but would do it off of EBAY so he could avoid any fees. We were both happy with the transaction. I asked him if he could hold onto the other 3 a little longer so I could rebuild my funds to buy them or at least give me the opportunity to buy them before offering to anyone else. He agreed.

He contacted me shortly thereafter and wanted to sell the rest and offered me a bundle price for the rest. I accepted and have 3 of them in hand. The fourth one had a faulty mechanism in it and he asked me to send to a third party for repair at his cost and then it would be sent back.

I belong to a collectors forum for these type of items and of like sharing pictures just like people here of items they have never seen. Late last week I asked him if he was still pretty adamant that I not share what I bought with anyone since he had placed some of the items up on EBAY and whoever the connection was would have probably have seen it or caught wind of it, but would definitely honor the deal of not sharing if he was still against it.

He first responded that he didn't want it shared and appreciated me asking. I responded that I would honor that wish and not share it.

I later received a really odd email from him where he went berserk and told me that he was distraught that I would even ask if I could share it, that it would just be a matter of time before I shared it, I couldn't be trusted etc. He wants his items back and refund me the money. I have contacted him a couple of times apologizing about even asking if I could share, but I have not or will not disclose it.

This morning I see that he has sent me a refund for the item that is at the third party repair. This was the one that was on EBAY. I believe he paid with a credit card because it removed the equivalent of credit card fees. Now he wants to refund me for the other 3 and demanding that I return them. He is no longer claiming that I couldn't be trusted, but coming from the angle that I offered to sell the one item if he wanted it shortly thereafter and therefore I need to honor his request to send the other 3 back.

I really don't want to send him the other's back. He agreed to give me first dibs, he wanted to sell them right away, and gave me a discount to take them now instead of over time. I didn't even haggle with him and paid his asking price. He is the type of person who will just place money in my PayPal account and ask later. I have yet to respond to his request.

My position is that he agreed to sell me those items first, he offered them to me, I bought them and he can't have them back due to seller's remorse or probably more likely a better offer from someone else. His position is that I somehow lost his trust for even asking if I could share them and that I agreed to sell him back another one early on when he
    was just willing to sell bits and pieces of his collection until he decided he was going to liquidate everything. If I send them back; I will probably never see ones like them again.

I always try to do the right thing. He still has some pieces left in his collection, but I won't bother trying to buy them since they are not so rare that I can't live without them and this has left a sour taste in my mouth. I have tried to reason with him, but he simply wants his items back for whatever reason and I don't want to sell them back.

I apologize for the long post, but wanted to get some third party opinions to those that have no skin in the game. I have thought about the potential that he could try to track me down which I guess is possible risk, but I have always had the items sent to a postal box, he doesn't know where I live, and lives on the other side of the country from me.

Thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
    ~Vaclav Hlavaty
  • Adam West
    Museum CPA
    • Apr 14, 2003

I think after rereading my own post; I am going to tell him I am keeping the other items. I bought them at his asking price and am not going to let him guilt me over seller’s remorse or more likely a better offer. I will probably never see these again and kind of done with the seller being all wishy washy with me and trying to make me feel guilty because I am always a stand up person to deal with all the time
    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
    ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

I agree with you. keep them. but also keep a record of any emails or whatever you have had with this guy as he sounds really unstable

Comment

• Mawni
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 11, 2007

I agree. He sold them to you, you have been very respectful but he offered items for sale and you paid for them. I'd say it's a done deal. I agree - keep a record.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

You may perhaps feel obliged to return an item, but you've paid for them and are not obligated to do so.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

1. If the seller asked you to not share that you got the item from him, or the price you paid, or other confidential details of your transaction, then I would say you should keep those details private. Beyond that, what you do with the item after you paid for it is your business... post pictures, put it on display, even smash it with a hammer... they no longer have any say on how you enjoy it. If others can deduce he was the source where you obtained the item from that... so be it.

2. Based on your summary, it sounds like your offer was for selling back a specific item, and for a specific reason... not for all items and for asking a question that offended him.

3. Sending you money does not obligate you to send him the items. That's not how transactions work.

I would let him know that you want to find a mutually satisfactory resolution to the issue, but he is being unreasonable and that you have no intention of being strong-armed by his demands.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

i would cease all communication with this person. it is not likely to get better based on what you describe. just walk away

Comment

• Marvelmania
                A Ray of Sunshine
                • Jun 17, 2001

He sold them to you and you bought and paid for them at his price. They are yours, end of story

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

To me it sounds like the items have been stolen and he's shaking in his boots he's going to be found out when people on the internet start seeing the items.

That, or he's just a nut

You bought the items fair and square --- Tell him to stop harassing you or you'll take him to court.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

As others have said, I would keep the items, and stop having contact with this person. The not sharing bit seems very strange. If the guy doesn't want his sellers to know he sold their items, that's his problem. The items are now 100% yours and you can do with them as you please.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Spectator
                      Museum Patron
                      • Feb 4, 2019

Originally posted by Mikey
                      To me it sounds like the items have been stolen and he's shaking in his boots he's going to be found out when people on the internet start seeing the items.
                      That's my distinct impression as well. I'm seeing red flags all over the place.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Also, I'd refrain from sharing for any foreseeable time. Something is up, he clearly is worried of some kind of drama or worse, you don't want to be in the middle of that.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Adam West
                          Museum CPA
                          • Apr 14, 2003

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have been buying the collection slowly over the last 6 months so there is a relationship established and I didn’t want to be callous about it. He wanted to sell the last items quickly and did give me first dibs before he reached out to another collector or place them on EBAY. I think it just hit him emotionally that he has sold his entire collection and has seller’s remorse. I get it because I have experienced the same thing but never have gone back to a buyer and ask to buy the item back. I let him know that I was keeping the items and expected the one that is being repaired to be sent to me. He is completely off his rocker. He sent me the full amount back (a substantial amount of money) when I was asleep and is no longer asking but demanding the return of his figures. I am going to tell him one last time that I am keeping them and will give him all of his money back when the last item being repaired is returned to me
                          ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Spectator
                            Museum Patron
                            • Feb 4, 2019

Be careful and good luck.

Comment

• alex
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jun 15, 2009

Certainly a strange situation, that U cant reveal what U bought. Im actually really intrigued what U bought, U said figures I suppose hes got your address, but how far away does he live?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎