X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knight errant00
    8 Inch Action Figure
    • Nov 15, 2005

The Monkees Last Night

So, last night the Monkees (or as the banner reads, "The Monkees present the Mike & Micky Show") ended their current tour with a show here in St. Louis. I happened to win a couple tickets a few days ago and attended last night.

Wow, what a fun evening. Yeah, they're slowing down, and yeah, they're not hitting some of the notes they used to, and yeah, it was sad that Peter just passed and Davy's been gone for some time, but Mike & Mickey kept it going and made it fun, hitting all the songs you'd want to hear from the two of them, with Papa Gene's Blues (the one I was really hoping to hear), You Just May be the One, Last Train to Clarksville, I'm a Believer, a singalong tribute to Davy with Daydream Believer and a tribute to Peter with For Pete's Sake followed by Peter almost sitting in from the Great Beyond via video for what ended up being a surprisingly moving acoustic solo performance of Til Then.

Mike told stories, Micky was funny, and I'm glad I got to see them while they're still singing. Lame as it my make me sound, there are few bands I really know the music of very well, but these guys I could sing along with for two hours and even recall the videos that went along with different points of the lyrics. My one odd observation: Fewer wool hats and more Monkee Men costumes in the audience than I would have expected...

Like I said, a really fun and nostalgic evening. I can only hope when I'm pushing 80 like Mike and Micky, that I can be doing what I love as well as they're doing it.
    Last edited by knight errant00; Mar 17, '19, 11:57 AM.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I had no idea Mike toured, I thought he was sort of permanently PO'd with "the band."

Thank you for sharing this, their greatest hits are a regular feature of my drive-time when I travel. You got me with the note about "Til Then."
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MysteryWho
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 16, 2008

Awesome story. According to Mike's facebook he won't be touring again anytime soon. Which is a shame but they've earned some rest.

Comment

• powersthatbe
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 27, 2010

I'm very happy and lucky I got a chance to meet Micky, Peter and Mike.

Comment

• knight errant00
          8 Inch Action Figure
          • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          I had no idea Mike toured, I thought he was sort of permanently PO'd with "the band."
          I've heard different things about it (one being that Mike just basically announced "I don't need this" after a newspaper review of a concert 30 years ago slammed him for his guitar playing). But Mike seemed to genuinely enjoy addressing and joking with the audience, at one point asking for the houselights to be turned on, peering out over the crowd, and then telling us that, if we ever see him in public, to come up to him and say "I saw you in St. Louis that last night of your tour" and that he'd say "Oh, yeah -- I remember you!" He also proudly introduced the lead guitarist for the show as "one of the most talented guys touring today -- Christian Nesmith, my son" (who has to be around my age), so maybe that helped him enjoy the work of the tour.

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          Thank you for sharing this, their greatest hits are a regular feature of my drive-time when I travel. You got me with the note about "Til Then."
          I tell ya, they emptied the stage and gave it to Peter with this video, and as I said, it was surprisingly moving:

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Thank you again, KE.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

This sounds like a lot of fun and entertainment... just like the Monkees are supposed to be. I'm glad these guys can still go out, have some fun and provide a good time for fans.

Their reruns are responsible for piquing young me's love of music. The first record I ever bought was a Monkees album that 7-yr-old me mail ordered from a TV ad. And I fell in love with their Marx Brothers-esque, smart-alecky, fourth wall breaking style of comedy, too. They really hold a nostalgic sport for me. It was sad to hear about Peter's passing, but it's nice to see their memory still being enjoyed.
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎