X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Chaykin's HEY KIDS! COMICS! discussion thread

Samnoir turned me onto this series, probably the first comic book I've read in a couple of years. An unabashed tale of the comic industry with the names changed, I'm a sucker for insider tales and gossip.

Ultimately, I enjoyed it but it has its flaws, it's slightly hard to follow through its time hops, so many characters and well, Chaykin gives his faces a sameness that had me flipping back and forth to the glossary.

This was my problem but i became obsessed with who everybody really is, you can easily suss out Lee, Kane, Kirby but others are more difficult. I am convinced that the three protaginists are red herrings, almagamations of creators meant to give it an arm's length.

It also has a certain slant, I'm not surprised that it takes this stance in any way but it's a little cartoony at times with it's depictions of publishers. Some of them definitely were conmen though, not disputing that. The author likely has earned his viewpoint but it does come across as a bit jaded and sick of the industry.

The one surprise is who is depicted as a creep in this, I'm not surprised at Kane, Lee or the Quesada/McFarlane digs but Eisner shocked me a little.

Worth a read if you're looking for something outside of the cape stuff but don't expect a happy ending.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

Not a fan of Chaykin. I've been going to Comic Cons for the better part of 35 years and one thing that has always stood about him is that he likes to hear himself talk and he's a bit of a used car salesman. That being said...I wholeheartedly agree with one of the buttons in that cover "If you get to Cosplay...I get to stare" Also, if he feels jaded by the industry then he shouldn't have done a book like Black Kiss. He knew exactly what he was doing for the sake of the controversy and for the sake of sales. Don't know if I would pay cover for the book...but if it ever goes in the 50 cents or $1 bins...I would give it a shot. Interested in the amalgamations he comes up with.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

What is this--an mini, trade, etc.?
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
        Not a fan of Chaykin. I've been going to Comic Cons for the better part of 35 years and one thing that has always stood about him is that he likes to hear himself talk and he's a bit of a used car salesman.
        That was somewhat how I felt meeting Steranko--but I sure enjoyed the chat, he was friendly. He had a low opinion of both Bob and Gil Kane!
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
          Not a fan of Chaykin. I've been going to Comic Cons for the better part of 35 years and one thing that has always stood about him is that he likes to hear himself talk and he's a bit of a used car salesman. That being said...I wholeheartedly agree with one of the buttons in that cover "If you get to Cosplay...I get to stare" Also, if he feels jaded by the industry then he shouldn't have done a book like Black Kiss. He knew exactly what he was doing for the sake of the controversy and for the sake of sales. Don't know if I would pay cover for the book...but if it ever goes in the 50 cents or $1 bins...I would give it a shot. Interested in the amalgamations he comes up with.
          Yeah I don't know much about the man and I'm not sure i ever read any of his work previously.

One of the main characters seems to have been based on Gil Kane.

What is this--an mini, trade, etc.?
          The first five issues are in a trade. I'm not sure if this is done or going to continue. If he does the 70s and 80s, he'll probably burn some bridges...

Comment

• Marvelmania
            A Ray of Sunshine
            • Jun 17, 2001

Definitely sounds like checking out! I like stuff like this.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

It was certainly an interesting series. Once you become accustomed to the time-shifts, the narrative flows more effectively.

I've always been a big fan of Chaykin's artwork, particularly his 70s and 80s stuff for Marvel, DC and Warren.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Oh you totally get used to the time shifts but initially I found it jarring.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                  HULK SMASH!
                  • Apr 3, 2010

On the whole, I didn't enjoy the series too much, although it was undeniably interesting.
                  The overly scathing nature did grate a little by the end, although obviously that was pretty much the work's raison d'être.
                  As Chaykin essentially started work in the industry in the 70s, it would be even more interesting to get a follow-up set primarily during that time period and also covering the 80s (incorporating his actual personal recollections and experiences), but like you said... he'd most probably be burning a fair few bridges with that!
                  PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎