Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I get a refund? Knee pins - help!!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vintage Quixotic
    • Feb 25, 2013

Should I get a refund? Knee pins - help!!!!

I recently picked up a lot of 4 Star Trek TMP 12" figures that had 3 broken knee pins between them.
    I purchased a 5 pack of replacements from Classic TV Toys.
    I could not snap the pins in place! I watched a video that said to soften them in hot water, that didn't work. I tried methods of applying pressure, including a pliers that only served to scuff the leg. I sprayed a pin with Armor-all to lubricate it, no luck. I messaged Classic TV Toys and they replied "try using a small screwdriver or pliers". That's when I had the idea to connect the pin sans the body, to see if it the 2 parts can snap in together begin with, minus the nuisance of handling the figure. I tried a pliers, that was a bit awkward and I couldn't get it to work. Then I thought I'd hammer it in. That sent the parts flying, losing a pin.
    The bottom line is, I can't even snap these things in together directly - could this be a defect or do I need specific tools to make this work? Or, am I entitled to a refund?
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Find yourself something to raise the plyers away from the legs.

Try using appropriate sized machined nuts (the kind you get in the dollar store for like 100 a pack with bolts)

Put a nut on each side of the pin and then squeeze your plyers.

Basically you're making your plyers an alligator with bucked teeth

Comment

• Vintage Quixotic
      • Feb 25, 2013

Originally posted by Mikey
      Find yourself something to raise the plyers away from the legs.

Try using appropriate sized machined nuts (the kind you get in the dollar store for like 100 a pack with bolts)

Put a nut on each side of the pin and then squeeze your plyers.

Basically you're making your plyers an alligator with bucked teeth
      Okay thanks for that I'll stop by the dollar store. Something tells me that keeping them all in place is going to be difficult. I'll probably end up breaking out tape for further awkwardness LOL

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

I've tried many ways, but could NEVER get the 12" knee pins sold by Doc Mego or CTVT to properly connect inside the knee joint. Most people just care about the 8" Megos, so no one ever bothered to try and improve the repro 12" pins. I just ended up going with nylon screws and nuts that I bought at Lowes (I brought a 12" leg with me to make sure I had the right fit), they don't look great, but the clothes hide them (unless you have a Robin, doh!) and they work just fine.

Comment

• Vintage Quixotic
          • Feb 25, 2013

Well, this went South quickly. Unexpected. I wasn't going to lose sleep over $10, but maybe I overreacted. They have plenty of good feedback, but the person I was dealing with rubbed me the wrong way. It's unfortunate. I should have been more clear and patient, maybe.

Your previous message
          Hi I received the item today thank you. I was hoping there would be some sort of instructions as I unexpectedly ran into trouble inserting the pins. I assumed they would just snap in place. But that is not the case. Is there a trick to this?

classictvtoys:
          try using a small screwdriver or pliers

Your previous message
          Thanks for the reply. It looks like I can't even insert these directly - not even using a figure. I tried using a pliers but it was too awkward then I tried to hammer it down and I just sent it flying losing one of the pins LOL I don't think these parts are right.

classictvtoys:
          send us a picture so we can see

Your previous message
          Sure, thank you. As I said I can't even snap the two parts together directly, minus a figure. I tried everything to apply pressure on both ends - including a pliers, softening them in hot water, Armor All for lubrication, and as I mentioned trying to hammer the piece down

classictvtoys:
          we need to see the body you are using, we have sold thousands of these and no one has had a problem, you received the correct ones

Your previous message
          Ooh, it's just me, thank you.
          I'm researching online and learning that it's a reasonably common problem. I can't even insert the PIN into the other piece directly without an action figure in between.

classictvtoys:
          ok so you are all set

Your previous message
          All set? Your attitude just earned you a negative feedback. I could care less about 10 bucks and was just going to leave it alone.

classictvtoys:
          your kidding right, we have tried to help you and then you said you figures it out

classictvtoys:
          we have also answered all of your question after hours on our free time and tried to help

Your previous message
          Hours of your free time LOL sir ma'am you are an *******

New message from: classictvtoys (22,907 )

that is real class and we will report you to EBAY

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Someday over coffee, let me tell you about FTC's repro Batsignal and their vaunted customer service.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Vintage Quixotic
              • Feb 25, 2013

Ha, That sounds funny, even a little encouraging that it's not just me. So they're the same company as Figures toy Co? They lost business from me just because their outfits for the figures that are traditionally tight are so baggy.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

FTC is Figures Toy Co. in Florida, their subsidiary (for parts, for example) is Classic TV Toys.

FTC has made some excellent stuff, and some not. Of course, some of my opinion is subjective. I've never doubted that their heart is in the right place for Mego fans, and they have killer licenses, but IMO their customer service is...uneven.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Never a big fan of the company myself, so reading this kind of response from them isn't really surprising to me.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                    Permanent Member
                    • May 15, 2009

Seemed like they tried to help you, despite their responses being short and not particularly “professional” they were genuine and tried to offer insight. There was some sort of miscommunication when you said it was just you and they took that to mean you figured it out and then You blew up and started cursing at them. I’ve not always been impressed with CTVTs products or services (I’ve had a mixed bag with both, some good, some bad) but it’s customer interactions like this that don’t surprise me that they’ve become harder to deal with. Yikes.

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

Figures was ok when they just sold wrestling stuff

Comment

• Vintage Quixotic
                        • Feb 25, 2013

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                        Seemed like they tried to help you, despite their responses being short and not particularly “professional” they were genuine and tried to offer insight. There was some sort of miscommunication when you said it was just you and they took that to mean you figured it out and then You blew up and started cursing at them. I’ve not always been impressed with CTVTs products or services (I’ve had a mixed bag with both, some good, some bad) but it’s customer interactions like this that don’t surprise me that they’ve become harder to deal with. Yikes.
                        " use a pliers or screwdriver" period. is hardly helpful insight. I didn't get aggravated until they proceeded to alienate the customer by implying that I am the problem not the product. And when "you're all set then" it's felt pretty clear he was being sarcastic. Any professional customer service rep would offer a refund or some real SOLUTION instead of busting balls with brief in complete sentences.
                        Last edited by Vintage Quixotic; Mar 17, '19, 5:18 PM. Reason: Fix

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

I got the impression he misunderstood you

Comment

• darkbros
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 3, 2012

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                            I got the impression he misunderstood you
                            i agree, and I'm known to beat up FTC and hold them accountable! lol

At anytime did you send them a picture? I would have sent them a video of my attempt to use their pins so
                            that everyone could be on the same page, so there is no mis-communication, followed up by a polite email
                            asking for a refund. We live in an age now where taking video is easy, and sending it to people is easier.
                            You would have proved your issue, and had evidence for PayPal if they refused to offer a refund.
                            Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                            https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                            "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                              Often invisible
                              • Jul 18, 2002

I’d have to agree that your “Ooh, it's just me, thank you.” didn’t read as sarcasm. When taken sincerely, it appears that you figured it out and even thanked him for his help.
                              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎