• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

The Great Star Wars Heist

Every collector's nightmare.

In 2017, an uncovered toy theft ruptured the Star Wars collecting community. Two years later, the collectors—and the convicted—are still looking for a way forward.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

Quite a tale indeed.

The adjacent story, The Complete History of the Autopsy was even better tho.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

I mean, yeah, there's a lot of really off people in collecting these day. But Star Wars collectors seem to have gained the reputation of being the "Florida Man" of the hobby. The weirdest of the weird. Remember the re-card scandal from a few years back? Plus they kinda take that whole grading and lets seal our toys in Lucite to the lunatic extreme. "Don't you dare open that C-1 Rancor Keeper!!!"
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
        • Jun 16, 2001

It's a really, really big pond and it's huge money, so everything multiplies, the scammers, the creeps and hopefully the nice people that are usually the majority in most hobbies. I'm terrified of Star Wars.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Yeah, I was threatened with bodily harm for opening a beater carded figure.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
            Banned
            • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
            I mean, yeah, there's a lot of really off people in collecting these day. But Star Wars collectors seem to have gained the reputation of being the "Florida Man" of the hobby. The weirdest of the weird. Remember the re-card scandal from a few years back? Plus they kinda take that whole grading and lets seal our toys in Lucite to the lunatic extreme. "Don't you dare open that C-1 Rancor Keeper!!!"
            Soooo True. God forbid you tell them that if they wait just a few weeks the figure that was 1 per case will be 3 per case. I told that to a Star Wars collector back around '99/2000 and they walked out of my friends store in a huff. One of THE weirdest experiences I've ever had as a collector. I'm basically giving the guy a tip so he doesn't spend 3 - 5 times what the figure sells for at THAT VERY MOMENT and that if he waits he can get it for retail price and he completely freaks out. That's when I knew that Star Wars collectors were in their own world.

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
              I'm terrified of Star Wars.
              You are not alone on that sir! The nuttiness of some of the diehard SW collectors kind of scares me, I prefer the relatively calmer waters of Mego collecting.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

Not just collectors but Star Wars fans too.

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

I just read this article last night. As much the Star Wars collecting world is bigger, it seems we've had our proportional share of scammers and jerkholes over the years. Didn't someone steal a carded Goblin a while back. No, its not rocket-launching Bobba Fett money, but its still pretty bad. Fortunately there are way more cool/good people that still makes this all worth while. I can't imagine staying with this hobby if it weren't for all the great people I've been lucky enough to meet.
                  WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                    Permanent Member
                    • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by palitoy
                    It's a really, really big pond and it's huge money, so everything multiplies, the scammers, the creeps and hopefully the nice people that are usually the majority in most hobbies. I'm terrified of Star Wars.
                    I'm just happy no one has gone through the trouble of making counterfeit Chemtoy Batmen.

Comment

• Brazoo
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 14, 2009

Bonkers, but not completely shocking, I guess?

Star Wars was the main thing I collected as a kid and it brought me back to collecting in my early 20s because I wanted to replace some of the pieces a kid from grade 8 swiped from me. I spent a very short period on rebelscum a few years ago when I was trying to fill in a few gaps. Not a comfortable place for me.

Kenner Star Wars is possibly the biggest and widest distributed toy line ever, but some of them act like they're dealing in extremely rare artifacts and they're often obsessed with believing they're historians or archivists or something. It's nearly on a religious level. I barely want to deal with SW collectors - but I still get warm fuzzies about the original figures somehow.

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                        Not just collectors but Star Wars fans too.
                        Guess I resemble that remark.

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Brazoo
                          Kenner Star Wars is possibly the biggest and widest distributed toy line ever, but some of them act like they're dealing in extremely rare artifacts and they're often obsessed with believing they're historians or archivists or something. It's nearly on a religious level.
                          ha! I haven't experienced it much from SW fans but there are a couple of guys like that in every hobby.

Once in a while, I'll post some random toyline on PlaidStallions and some guy will have to come in and "approve" what I've written, it doesn't really phase me but I can tell they're super serious.

It even occasionally happens with MegoMuseum posts, which is bizarre because the odd person will quote stuff i wrote, to me.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                            galactic yo-yo
                            • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by Hedji
                            Guess I resemble that remark.
                            So you're one of the ones that think Disney ruined Star Wars?

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

Not at all. I love Disney Star Wars. Happiest day in recent memory was watching the Disney Star Wars fireworks last summer. My Wife treated me for my birthday to a special dining event and character greeting. I cried like a baby during the fireworks and projection show.

I love the Sequels, Prequels, and Classic films. Can't help it. I just enjoy Star Wars. I just dislike blanket statements about Star Wars fans or Star Wars collectors. It isn't fair, and it doesn't describe me.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎