X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

12" RC Batman, a former President, and more

My latest FTC order came today. To see my thoughts on Hawkman, check out my post in the Hawkman thread.

The rest of my package included the Wonder Woman Cheetah, the 44th President of the United States of America, and the 12" Removable Cowl Batman.

I skipped Cheetah the first time, but pictures posted here made me change my mind. I'm glad I did. FTC did a good job on her. I like the heels poking out the bottom of the tights. I didn't think she would stand, but she does. It's funny, but I think the Wonder Woman villains are better than the Wonder Woman figure.

Second was President Barack Obama. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I think the likeness came out very well, mole and all. I think they nailed his skin tone too. The suit is ill fitting; it's too big, but you can futz with it enough to make it look good. I can't tell for sure, but the face looks like it might be painted. I will have to check this weekend when I re-open him.

Finally, the 12" Removable Cowl Batman. I was not a happy camper with this one right out of the box:

FTC RC Batman 12-Inch 1.jpg

You can't see it all, but the head is not tight, the belt would not go over the right hip:

FTC RC Batman 12-Inch 4.jpg

... the neck line was low, the Bat-Emblem is not the best cut and it is not flat; it's a little wrinkled:

FTC RC Batman 12-Inch 2.jpg

..and the cape is cheap! Someone took some scissors and cut a neck hole:

FTC RC Batman 12-Inch 3.jpg

The gloves fell off so many times while handling it, it reminded my of playing with my 8" Megos as a kid!

But, after fooling around with this Batman a bit, I think I made it look decent:

FTC RC Batman 12-Inch 5.jpg

The belt sits high because FTC makes their Batman belts too short, but at least it's level now. I don't get the emblem design choice and why it wasn't silk screened, but I guess it's no worse than a classic Mego (I don't think that's what they were going for though). The cape is what it is, but it can cover the neck good enough. The body is not bad, but I had to really play with it to get that hip issue... better? I wish the head was a tighter fit too; it's a bit wobbly. The mask fits it like a helmet though. I didn't feel like pulling it completely off.

I don't know why companies have such a hard time tailoring Batman's outfit, sometimes the neck line, but especially the shorts. Mattel struggled. The Mego Black 14" Batman was off. This one is not quite right either; it's not snug in the crotch, much like Mattel's Retro figure, and it's too low in the back... eh. I'm not thrilled to spend $50 on this. And I'm glad I held off on The Flash; my excellent Mego 14" Flash will suffice just fine. But RC Batman was one I was going to buy, regardless. It actually fills a incorrect childhood memory I had. For a long time, I could have sworn a kid brought in a 12" RC Batman for Show & Tell in kindergarten. This would have been... '74 or '75. So it had to be the 8" RC Batman. But now I have my imaginary 12" RC Batman, warts an all! So there is that.

Sorry for the rant fest about the Batman. I think he still came out better than MY Hawkman did, but FTC can do such great work, and then match it with such shoddy work. I was 2 for 4 with this shipment, though my Hawkman was more of FTC's long standing quality control issues with their strung too tight bodies.
  • Gramercyplace
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jan 23, 2012

It is curious why FTC stops short at 96% of getting it just right when if they could just work out a detail or two they could go full ham sandwich on a figure. A little hem on the cape, a head that doesn’t rattle, and is a snap closure really so much more work intensive than Velcro? (I’m really over the Velcro and it’s tendency to snag the cheap fabric). It’s seems like it’s always close, but no cigar. Can we just have the cigar, please? Lol. Thanks for the images. I agree with you about this figure. I would have to buy it even if it was at 80% accurate (it’s impossible to resist).

Comment

• comicmike
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 22, 2009

Originally posted by Gramercyplace
      It is curious why FTC stops short at 96% of getting it just right when if they could just work out a detail or two they could go full ham sandwich on a figure. A little hem on the cape, a head that doesn’t rattle, and is a snap closure really so much more work intensive than Velcro? (I’m really over the Velcro and it’s tendency to snag the cheap fabric). It’s seems like it’s always close, but no cigar. Can we just have the cigar, please? Lol. Thanks for the images. I agree with you about this figure. I would have to buy it even if it was at 80% accurate (it’s impossible to resist).
      TRDouble, thanks so much for your review. I'd be paying a pretty penny to import one to Canada. Your honest review is appreciated; & lets me think it over again. I can consider settling with a custom, as one option. Gramercyplace's response seems like a bang on opinion about this offering.

Comment

• rodkeith
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 16, 2008

^To echo fellow Canadian comicmike, I too appreciate the detailed, frank reviews on FTC products to see if they're worth overriding the costs/exchange rate to get these things here. Glad to hear Cheetah and Obama are good, Hawkman is decent if flawed, and it looks like I can forego the 12" line for now. Thanks, TR!

Comment

• comicmike
          Persistent Member
          • Sep 22, 2009

Originally posted by TRDouble
          My latest FTC order came today. To see my thoughts on Hawkman, check out my post in the Hawkman thread.

... the 12" Removable Cowl Batman....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25016[/ATTACH]

....But RC Batman was one I was going to buy, regardless. It actually fills a incorrect childhood memory I had. For a long time, I could have sworn a kid brought in a 12" RC Batman for Show & Tell in kindergarten. This would have been... '74 or '75. So it had to be the 8" RC Batman. But now I have my imaginary 12" RC Batman, warts an all! So there is that...
          Addendum: The loose 12" boots on the CTVT site use the pics of the 8" boots.

Are your 12" Batman boots actually pointed "up" in the centres, along the tops, like the standard 8" ones? They appear cut "straight across" in the photo.

Last edited by comicmike; Mar 10, '19, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• TRDouble
            Permanent Member
            • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by comicmike
            Addendum: The loose 12" boots on the CTVT site use the pics of the 8" boots.

Are your 12" Batman boots actually pointed "up" in the centres, along the tops, like the standard 8" ones? They appear cut "straight across" in the photo.
            Yes.

FTC RC Batman 12-Inch Boots.jpg

Comment

• TRDouble
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 10, 2012

Some comparison pictures in the Mego Buzz forum

Comment

• comicmike
                Persistent Member
                • Sep 22, 2009

Ah! Thanks. It is helpful info. Oh, that shade of brighter royal/cobalt blue looks *Perfect* too. Wow.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎