Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else "classic Mego-izing" the FTC DC figures?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott metzger
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 9, 2007

Anyone else "classic Mego-izing" the FTC DC figures?

I find myself replacing parts on a lot of the FTC DC figures I've gotten of late if I plan to put them in with the FTC repros of the originals. I tend to remove the molded, plug-in boots and gloves and replace them with Mego repro parts. I took a pair of red Conan boots and painted the cuffs yellow. then added an old fashioned pair of yellow oven-mitt gloves. Dr. Fate got similar mitts and standard yellow hero boots. Green Lantern got standard green boots and white Mr. Fantastic gloves with a ring sticker on the proper finger.Even Firestorm and Flash got standard yellow boots. The new style of gloves and boots are well done, mind you; I just feel the style doesn't mix well with the classic stuff. I've already got some red gloves and blue boots for the upcoming Atom,as well. Anyone else find themselves doing this?
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by scott metzger
    I find myself replacing parts on a lot of the FTC DC figures I've gotten of late if I plan to put them in with the FTC repros of the originals. I tend to remove the molded, plug-in boots and gloves and replace them with Mego repro parts. I took a pair of red Conan boots and painted the cuffs yellow. then added an old fashioned pair of yellow oven-mitt gloves. Dr. Fate got similar mitts and standard yellow hero boots. Green Lantern got standard green boots and white Mr. Fantastic gloves with a ring sticker on the proper finger.Even Firestorm and Flash got standard yellow boots. The new style of gloves and boots are well done, mind you; I just feel the style doesn't mix well with the classic stuff. I've already got some red gloves and blue boots for the upcoming Atom,as well. Anyone else find themselves doing this?
    That's my MO too. I am fine with the plug in style on my '66 Batman stuff and some of my customs, but otherwise I'm a cloth cuffs/plastic boots guy. Mego Green Goblin is my muse.

Comment

• Treadwell
      Museum Super Collector
      • Dec 31, 2018

That sounds like a fun approach. If I did DC (trying to keep focused on Star Trek), I'd probably do something similar, with the exception of the oven mitt gloves. I've always hated those things, so in that case I might even FTC-ize the gloves of my Megos.

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

I didn't realize the plug boots were on anything other than '66. I wonder what motivated that call.

Comment

• scott metzger
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by Treadwell
          That sounds like a fun approach. If I did DC (trying to keep focused on Star Trek), I'd probably do something similar, with the exception of the oven mitt gloves. I've always hated those things, so in that case I might even FTC-ize the gloves of my Megos.
          For me, the whole reason for getting the FTC stuff is nostalgia for the old figures. I don't have any of my originals in their original form (never left anything un-customized), so these gave me a way of getting them that way without having to take out a second mortgage. It's purely about recapturing the figures the way I first got them, and getting some of the figures that I wished they had made the way they likely would have made them.

Originally posted by hedrap
          I didn't realize the plug boots were on anything other than '66. I wonder what motivated that call.
          Well, they do look good, I have to say. Hawkman's were well done, just not classic Mego style.

megoized1.jpgmegoized2.jpg
          Last edited by scott metzger; Mar 20, '19, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• scott metzger
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 9, 2007

Update: Got the foam wings from Dr Mego and screwed them onto Katar. Forgot to download the pics last night, but he looks great with them. Back in the days of Mego, the foam would have been a more cost effective alternative to big plastic wings, and they definitely have a "Mego might have done that" feel to them.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I'm trying to, it's not easy considering FTC's design idiosyncrasies.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• scott metzger
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 9, 2007

Hawkman after the Doctor's intervenention:
                hawkwings1.jpg

Comment

• TRDouble
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jul 10, 2012

The foam wings look great! I am still waiting on my Doc Mego package with Wings (and the mace too). Where/how do you screw them into the body? Is there a certain body that I will have to use, or some other body modification I will need to peform?

Also, what type of gloves did you use for Green Lantern? It looks like Luthor has green Andorian gloves and GL has white Mr. Fantastic gloves?

Thanks!

Comment

• scott metzger
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by TRDouble
                    The foam wings look great! I am still waiting on my Doc Mego package with Wings (and the mace too). Where/how do you screw them into the body? Is there a certain body that I will have to use, or some other body modification I will need to peform?

Also, what type of gloves did you use for Green Lantern? It looks like Luthor has green Andorian gloves and GL has white Mr. Fantastic gloves?

Thanks!
                    I used a simple wood screw to attach Katar's wings to his back and the regular FTC body; no prepping or anything needed, I just used my battery operated screwdriver to muscle the screw through. Wings are pretty thick at the point where they go into the back, so I needed a long screw. Luthor indeed has the Andorian gloves in green, and both they and the white Mr. F gloves came from Dr. Mego. I did have to chop off the tops of a pair of FTC super hero boots and paint them for Lex, though, as no color readily available comes even close to matching the magenta of his top (and, as stated, the green of the gloves goes a lot better with the green of Lex's pants than it looks in the pic, so they didn't need painting). I already have a pair of blue CTVT boots and red Dr. Mego Mr. F gloves for the upcoming Atom, a pair of original Mego Catwoman boots (the ones with more folds and details) for FTC's Black Canary, and a yellow bodysuit and red boots and gloves for Creeper.

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

Your Hawkman has a serious Super Powers vibe! Excellent!

Comment

• TRDouble
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by scott metzger
                        I used a simple wood screw to attach Katar's wings to his back and the regular FTC body; no prepping or anything needed, I just used my battery operated screwdriver to muscle the screw through. Wings are pretty thick at the point where they go into the back, so I needed a long screw. Luthor indeed has the Andorian gloves in green, and both they and the white Mr. F gloves came from Dr. Mego. I did have to chop off the tops of a pair of FTC super hero boots and paint them for Lex, though, as no color readily available comes even close to matching the magenta of his top (and, as stated, the green of the gloves goes a lot better with the green of Lex's pants than it looks in the pic, so they didn't need painting). I already have a pair of blue CTVT boots and red Dr. Mego Mr. F gloves for the upcoming Atom, a pair of original Mego Catwoman boots (the ones with more folds and details) for FTC's Black Canary, and a yellow bodysuit and red boots and gloves for Creeper.
                        Thanks! I forgot about The Creeper; I need to put a yellow body suit into my CTVT cart.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

What are you doing with the short leggings--sewing little socks in like CHiPs?
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• scott metzger
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            What are you doing with the short leggings--sewing little socks in like CHiPs?
                            Chopping off the ends of the legs and using a small piece of tape to secure it at the ankle. Pretty much the same thing I do with my regular customs to smooth stuff down under the boots.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎